Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
American Flat 6

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT - How long to let concrete cure before sealing???
Posted by: rlp11 ()
Date: December 20, 2011 12:39AM

I am building a small machine shop to keep making the Full Bearing Throttle Linkage and tranny pivots. Size of the shop will be 14x22 ft. I want to seal the floor with that Epoxy garage floor sealer so clean up of the oil, coolant and metal chips will be easier. Question is how long do I wait for the concrete to cure before sealing it?

Roger Parent
San Diego, CA
1964 Monza Driver
1964 Monza project
1961 Lakewood Driver

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT - How long to let concrete cure before sealing???
Posted by: zarfnober ()
Date: December 20, 2011 01:02AM

30 days, don't smooth trowel the surface. Otherwise you'll have to etch the surface. I highly suggest you invest in something other than the stuff they sell at the big box stores. Or pay someone that installs them, it's worth it in the long run. pm me if you have any other ?'s. I've done several.

Rocco

Posted by: monza67 ()
Date: December 20, 2011 01:19AM

I'd also recommend putting down a 6 mil vapor barrier before you pour the concrete, otherwise water vapor transmission through the concrete could pop the epoxy off. Using a curing compound could also be an issue, so be sure to consult with the epoxy manufacturer before you put a curing compound on the concrete.
Rocco, do you agree?
Chuck Prosise

Date: December 20, 2011 01:38AM

This will be a patio conversion. I am trying to level it with the garage floor. Base is a 3in layer of concrete with a layer of flag stone on top of that. PO put in the patio. The new pad will be 2 1/2 inches to raise it to the garage floor level. Looks like I have a lot to look into for this to work.

Thanks for the responces.

Roger Parent
San Diego, CA
1964 Monza Driver
1964 Monza project
1961 Lakewood Driver

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: December 20, 2011 03:47AM

You might want to think of removing the flagstone, especially if it is on a sand base on top of the cement or even mortared in. 2 1/2" is pretty thin for putting any weight on when it is over an uneven surface below. Without the flagstone in there you will probably add at least another inch to the top cement, that would be sufficient to hold anything you want to put on it.

Ken Hand
CORSA Central Division Director
CORSA Treasurer
248 613 8586
[www.corvairmechanic.com]
vairmech@aol.com

[s186.photobucket.com]

Photobucket
Nose art from a CH-47 in Viet Nam

Photobucket

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: December 20, 2011 03:57AM

Agreed. 2 1/2" is too thin. Go with 3 1/2" minimum.

Kevin
Medina, OH

Posted by: texas yenko dude ()
Date: December 20, 2011 04:30AM

A full cure is 28 days, but moisture being drawn up thru the slab is a completely different thing.

Read the instructions on the epoxy product you plan to use. You will most likely need to run a moisture test on the slab. You can use a simple calcium chloride test to do this (they are inexpensive), but you will need a gram scale for reading the test. There are also 'probes' that you drill the slab and insert. They are electronic and are read with a small pen type reader. They are much more expensive, but work great.

Just make sure you do not have too much moisture coming up thru the slab, or the epoxy will not stick and last.

Texas YENKO Dude
YS-070
YS-199
YS-320
Southeast of Disorder

Posted by: zarfnober ()
Date: December 20, 2011 05:22AM

Protecrete Densifier is probably the best thing to treat your concrete with and you can still put coatings like epoxy over it. It will prevent vapor transmission thru the concrete, but this is typically only needed on a driveway/patio that is exposed to the elements. You shouldn't have a problem on a covered slab. Good epoxies when cured are 3-5 times stronger than the concrete itself, and many newer epoxies will even penetrate and cure over "slightly" damp concrete, some will even cure on wet concrete.

A vapor barrier is typically not needed in a residential garage. All above info applies to a standard, covered concrete slab and not an overlayment. Talk to your concrete guy, I'd go with a new pour if it was me, 6 bag mix.

The problem with the big box epoxies is people almost never prep the surface right, then put it on too thin. High quality epoxies don't cost much more, but you better know what you're doing cause they cure very quickly, espeically when sitting in a 5 gallon bucket! Pour it all on and spread it out, then roll it out even. Ask for a slower curing epoxy if you insist on doing it yourself, wear spiked shoes.

Rocco

Date: December 20, 2011 04:15PM

Thanks for all the advice. You have given me lots to think about.

Roger Parent
San Diego, CA
1964 Monza Driver
1964 Monza project
1961 Lakewood Driver

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.