Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
American Flat 6

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Caveman 60 rear seats fold down?
Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: December 18, 2011 05:26AM

I was cleaning up the cave car some today and noticed bolt holes on the floor for seat hinges,,the rear seat has been recovered at some point and it had the flap for the fold down,,did the 60 sedan 500 come stock with fold down rear seats? and are the hinges the same for all EM cars? its in remarkable shape for a 60 thumbs up

Email me at: Dave Motohead
Visit My web site(Under Construction)
Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
-----------------------------------
I AM THE GRIM REAPER FOR OLD CARS!
-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Caveman 60 rear seats fold down?
Posted by: Mountain Pilot ()
Date: December 18, 2011 07:00AM

The '60 Sedan that I had back then was equipped with the fold down rear seat with the drop in filler just like you have shown. As to if this was standard I have no idea. I have had only one 60 sedan, although now I have a '64 and '66 Sedans with fold down rear seats. I can take some photos tomorrow, after it warms up, of the fold mechanism so you can compare it to what you have. One would think it should be the same!

Richard Cutter
Present Caretaker of:
1960 700 Sedan, 1964 Spyder Convertible, 1964 Monza Sedan, 1966 Piper Cherokee, 1987 Fiero GT
- Monte Vista, Colorado
Started driving Corvairs in 1962

- Lazy Daze with Pup's

“Truth is Treason in the Empire of Lies.” -George Orwell

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But
the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem."..... Ronald Reagan

Date: December 18, 2011 07:07AM

Well the hinges are not there so was wondering if they were all the same for the EM sedans,,Kinda Starting to like this old 60,,alot different than the LM cars I am usd to working on,,its in remarkable shape,,I jacked the front end up and crawled under it and it does not have one dent or scrape,,its in great shape!

Attachments:
Posted by: Mountain Pilot ()
Date: December 18, 2011 07:12AM

Very nice find. I was looking for a '60 sedan but couldn't find a clean one, came across this '64 with only minor surface rust, and all original and one owner. Couldn't help myself. Will still shoot some photos tomorrow and post them to see if another '60 owner can compare them.

Posted by: garydup ()
Date: December 18, 2011 10:52AM

hi davemotorhead gary from sa here ,no they are not the same but they will fit,if you cant get the orignals the em coupe will work but requires an extra hole as the hinge goes up the pannel towards the fastening nail.also from what i have read the 60 500 coupe rear seats only opened to 45deg and not 90deg.if for some reason you dont come right pm me i will make a plan i have a set you can have, i can send them to you through the post and maby you can help me some day.ps if there is anything alse i can help you with about the 60 just let me know,herte in sa we still have a few running arround.

thanks gary

Posted by: Caveman_1960 ()
Date: December 18, 2011 11:02AM

At the start of 1960 production the folding rear seat feature was an extra cost option. As the model year wore on and the Ford Falcon was selling better than the Corvair GM decided to make the folding seat standard equipment. That way they could advertise a larger luggage capacity than the Falcon rival. By adding the front trunk storage area to the larger area with the rear seat folded down the Corvair trumped the Falcon smartly. This worked out fine unless you wanted to haul luggage and a family of four or more in your Corvair. - Caveman Pete

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: December 18, 2011 01:53PM

I believe it became standard after the steel strike startng in NOV 59.
Crawford

Posted by: Yenkos66 ()
Date: December 18, 2011 04:03PM

My 1960 didn't have the fold down rear seat and its one of the 60s built before the strike.

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: December 18, 2011 05:48PM

Installing hinges (after welding new pivots on hinges)

Folded down

Here are a couple that show the mechanism better. I made a new piece for the filler out of masonite, since the old one was warped.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Attachments:

Date: December 18, 2011 05:56PM

What about the guide/lock pins on each side? And is the under seat insulation stock? I am such a Cave Newbie! But am enjoying this Car Greatly as its completely different from my LM cars!cool smiley

Attachments:
Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: December 18, 2011 06:09PM

They hold the seat up, but I'm missing them. There is a threaded hold for them. The only seat cushion I know is the folding one, which I sort of made up anyway, designing it more for two people and two seat belts. Don't make it too thick or the seat won't fold. Or any wider or it will hit the arm rests.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: wagbear ()
Date: December 20, 2011 04:56PM

very interesting....can you see factory weld nuts where the hinges would be bolted onto ? I looked at my wagon and noticed that there are no locking pin holes in the back of the seat.....The manual also shows the same configuration.
looks like a damn nice little car !!

WAGBEAR
1961 Lakewood
Chehalis, Washington
( South of Canada...North of Mexico....Near Olympia ; Planet Earth . smiling smiley

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: December 20, 2011 06:57PM

Here ya go Dave,

Information that you may find interesting:

Attachments:

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: December 20, 2011 07:00PM

More information concerning folding rear seat:

Attachments:

Posted by: ccvair ()
Date: December 20, 2011 07:40PM

Those old tech bulletins are so cool

Posted by: mrtrimmier ()
Date: December 20, 2011 09:09PM

my 500 does!

Regards,
Mike T
Lady's Island S.C.

Black '65 CORSA "parts" car ("RatVair") '65 CORSA Weber/180 ("Whitey") '60 500 Sedan ("Smurf Surf Sedan")

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2011 09:09PM by mrtrimmier.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.