Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
OT- Unique jobs, I'll start-Whats yours?
Posted by: metalman ()
Date: December 10, 2011 06:26PM

People often ask me what my job is. Ask me about conditions, etc etc. So, here's to elaborate. I'm a Field Service Rep for the MaxxPro Mine Resistant Ambush Protected truck in Afghaninstan. Think of it as I'm the dealer mechanic, service writer and parts guy all in one. While I don't actually order parts, I'm often asked to help find a part number.

The truck has a Navistar Maxxforce 10 engine, Allison 5 speed trans, independent suspension, multilayer bulletproof glass, two front doors and a rear ramp door. This model has the CROW gun system which is a system where a camera feed is inside to a gunner. Just like a video game, he uses a joystick and screen to point and shoot.

This truck had just had an RPG net installed on it. Basicly a beefy soccer net designed to catch RPG's. I have yet to see it prove it's effectiveness. This model carries a driver, 'co pilot' or TC (tactical commander?), the gunner and two passengers. Earlier variants had leaf springs and smaller tires. Rode like crap. Truck costs' about $650K..all the radios, CROW, etc are on top of that.

As for safety, I'm probably more likely to hurt myself working on the truck than to ever get hurt by the enemy. I live in a bunker made into living quarters but I'm the expception. Most people are in 15x40x9 domed tents...think quanset hut, only canvas. The closest I can describe working here is imagine going to camp as a kid, only you work here.

Do you have a unique job?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2011 06:27PM by metalman.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT- Unique jobs, I'll start-Whats yours?
Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: December 10, 2011 06:53PM

I used to work for the county coroner in San Diego.... yup, picking up stiffs. Good paying job, never get laid off, and.... plenty of business.

Posted by: metalman ()
Date: December 10, 2011 07:07PM

Hm not bad. They don't fight back and don't give you no lip, assuming they still had them HAAAHHAA AHAHAHAAAAAH..oh man...I kill me...ugh.

Posted by: 66cv8 ()
Date: December 10, 2011 07:17PM

I now serve my wife prior to that I used to pull people out of burning buildings and a whole spectrum of fire related stuff including command staff,investigations and line command.

Da retired Battalion Chief.

Joe

66 500 Crown 350/4 on road
66 Corsa Convertible 140/4 rough
69 Monza Convertible 140/4 in progress (original 95/3)
Nu Joisey

" A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE IS A DANGEROUS THING"

"STUPID is the NEW SMART"

Posted by: YenkoYS-100 ()
Date: December 10, 2011 08:19PM

Cool! I really like checking out military equipment on semis going down the highway. I'm not sure my job is real unique? I haul propane in a semi. Like the Pony Express........the propane has to get there no matter the conditions. My town, like many others, are solely dependant on propane for heat. I drive in alot of snow and ice, along with roads occupied by deer, elk, cows, horses.....and sometimes drunken indians. I always say " it's not just a job, it's an adventure". Yes....I've hit my share of animals. Oh...almost forgot, I get to go to Nogales Arizona also. You know, our "safest it has ever been border", as per Janet Napalitano. I don't go unarmed. Us backwoods hillbilly "clinging to our guns and religion" Arizonons, loves our guns, especially in .223, .308, and .45 ACP. Thanks for your service to our country, and thanks for my freedom!

Rick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2011 08:25PM by YenkoYS-100.

Posted by: bought1 ()
Date: December 10, 2011 08:29PM

My job....archaeologist.

Dave

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: December 10, 2011 08:40PM

HMMM, I would have to say my job is unique.

I am a Corvair Mechanic.

There is what, 25 of us in the US? Might even be less than that as some of the listings in CORSA is for parts.

Ken Hand
CORSA Central Division Director
CORSA Treasurer
248 613 8586
[www.corvairmechanic.com]
vairmech@aol.com

[s186.photobucket.com]

Photobucket
Nose art from a CH-47 in Viet Nam

Photobucket

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: December 10, 2011 08:49PM

Software developer on the AC-130H gunship for the Air Force. Not extreme like metalman's job, but it is rewarding to give something to the warfighter that they want.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Warner Robins, GA (15 miles south of Macon)

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: December 10, 2011 08:51PM

VairDeb writes-
I find and fix the engineering and assembly mess-ups on the control systems for running 20-30,000hp gas turbine engines mated up to generators or compressors used in the oil and gas industry. Those units make power for platforms and shuffle stuff down pipelines. 70-80% of our products are sold and shipped out of the US.

Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: December 10, 2011 09:55PM

My wife says I work at being a butt head, does that count.

Seriously though I am retired

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
1965 Coupe 110 4 speed with A/C & wood wheel tele-column posi-traction, 1996 New Mexico Raffle car

House Springs, Missouri

Date: December 10, 2011 10:30PM

I'm in a small club. I sell Corvair parts and have for 38 years. Prior to that I was (being paid as)

A farm laborer
A production machinist
A tooling designer
A draftsman
A political Executive Director
An Efficiency expert
A Production manager
Manufacturer of Model Railroad kits

Things I don't (usually) get paid for

Writer
Political Activist
Northwest Timber Industry Historian
Railroad Brakeman and conductor
Events promoter

Lon
www.corvairunderground.com
www.pacificmodelloggerscongress.com
www.govair.com/mls.htm

Posted by: brentc ()
Date: December 10, 2011 11:08PM

I'm a bartender in a gay bar- used to own one.

Prior to that was a salesman in parts for transport truck fleets (e.g. Horton fan clutches) and worked on heavy machinery e.g. large units for lumber mills and steel fabrication. When I first came to town I fixed Corvairs for a living for a few years,

Brent

Posted by: bill darcy ()
Date: December 10, 2011 11:23PM

Retired after 40 years in the car business in various capacities from mechanic to finance manager with stops along the way as service manager,parts manager,sales manager.Now old curmudgeon who works on old cars as the mood strikes me.Also have been known to voice a political opinion now and then.GGGGG

In the Hub City, Belen NM

Lead from behind..... get left in the dust
"I have not failed I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work" Thomas Edison

Posted by: zarfnober ()
Date: December 10, 2011 11:23PM

brentc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm a bartender in a gay bar- used to own one.
>

> Brent

Did you ever tell your customers that "Corvair owners like it in the rear?" Probably the greatest bumper sticker ever, Clarks used to sell them as "the bumper sticker that gets attention!" I'm probably as straight as they get, butt have been to a few gay bars in Chicago over the years and they certainly know how to have a good time there. Berlin(mostly gay nightclub in Chicago) is a fun place.

I do several things for a living: power washing, gutter cleaning, repairs, installs, gutter cover installation, concrete sealing and foundation crack repair/basement waterproofing. Self employed, beats having a real job.

Rocco

Posted by: jimmyo ()
Date: December 10, 2011 11:24PM

I work for a telcom company. I install and repair circuits that connect computers and cell site to the network. Spent years doing restoration work in and around "ground zero". Prior to that I sold cars and in the 80's I was a cameraman for a freelance news company in N.Y.C. We listened to police and fire radios and then drove like hell in former un-marked police cars to the scene and then sold our footage to the network news stations.

Jim O'Connor
45 miles north of The Bronx, N.Y.
1962 Greenbrier 110 4spd
1964 Monza Convertible 110 PG
"Wherever you go....There you are"

Posted by: brentc ()
Date: December 10, 2011 11:28PM

Hey Rocco, I finally got one of those 'Put The Force In Your Rear' t shirts, its a real hit, let me tell ya...

I'll try to get a pic of me at work in it for you:-)

Brent

Posted by: bubba ()
Date: December 10, 2011 11:50PM

im a sign PAINTER. dont do computer grafics or nothing like that. hand painted signs. before that i was a drunk drug user. you other guys, wow!! im sure glad i hang out with cool smart ppl like you. as for you service people, THANK YOU VERY MUCH! so glad i have the freedom to play with my vair.....and go to a gay bar if i want. gggggggggggg

bubba, chester ca.

Attachments:

Posted by: Scott Kirkman ()
Date: December 11, 2011 12:21AM

Deputy Sheriff. Something new and diferent every day!

1963 Monza Spyder
Undergoing a ground up restoration
[63monzaspyderrestoration.shutterfly.com]

2006 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Copperopolis, CA

Posted by: ElkyBob ()
Date: December 11, 2011 12:39AM

I started this and after a paragraph of two I could see it was way too long so just suffice it to say I worked for my Dad in the family hardware store for ten years installing propane appliances and TVs, and selling hardware until I was drafted in the Army.

Spent 22 years in the Army including 1 year in Vietnam as an infantry platoon leader - 2 years in South Korea, the one in RVN, two separate tours of 4 years each in Germany, one in Stuttgart and the other in Heidelberg.

Retired from Army in 1982 and went to work for Washington State Dept of Labor & Industries Workers Compensation and retired from that 19 1/2 later in 2003.

Then my most unique and enjoyable job of all was being retired where I work in the yard/garden and piddle with my corvair and el caminoes. Hope to have another vair in the near future.

Bob Ponder in Tenino WA

1962 Vair Vert/102 4 spd w/EFI
1959 El Camino w/348 5 speed
1987 El Camino w/350 auto
2000 Ford F150
2014 Honda Crosstour

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: December 11, 2011 12:39AM

Quality Engineer for a Hydraulic Cylinder Manufacturer (and a large Green Tractor Company)...

Previous jobs: Quality for Tire company, Manufacturing Engineer for a Refrigerator company, and Quality for a Medical Device component manufacturer (very, very thin titanium machining and drawing).

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.