Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
My Station Wagon Roof Rack Tutorial.... Chime in !smiling bouncing smiley
Posted by: wagbear ()
Date: November 27, 2011 01:30PM

I contacted Larry Claypool regarding Corvair Wagon roof racks...
Basically, he told me that on HIS wagon he has a Vega roof rack with Vega strips. He said a Vista Cruiser roof rack is TOO narrow...but I'm thinking that maybe a larger GM rack cross beams could be cut down to make it wider...????
He also mentioned that a 62' Nova rack is IDENTICAL,BUT, a 63'65 Nova rack is good IF it's a 4 Post wagon car. He felt that 61'-63' Tempest/F-85 would also be similiar. Early SportWagon might be adaptable.
My questions as thus :
1. Does anyone have a pic of an installed rack from a top view so we can see how the slats are installed ?
2. Are the overall dimensions about 38" wide, 48" long ?
There are 8 stamped ribs on the roof....spaced 4 3/4" apart. Total width of the RIBS are....37 1/2"...they are 53" long.
WHO was the VENDOR that made roof racks for GM cars ?
I DID see a late model Buick Century Wagon with a nice adjustable roof rack, but I'll go back and measure it.... Not correct....has plastic parts. Also saw what I think was a Land Rover or Landcruiser that had an interesting Roof Rack....vehicle was "older" and rack is all aluminum. I'll go back and measure it.
Anyway.... Billy

WAGBEAR
1961 Lakewood
Chehalis, Washington
( South of Canada...North of Mexico....Near Olympia ; Planet Earth . smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My Station Wagon Roof Rack Tutorial.... Chime in !smiling bouncing smiley
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 27, 2011 02:19PM

Where's the link??????drinking smiley

Date: November 27, 2011 02:40PM

Link to WHAT ??? Your brain Matt? gggg There is no link .
If you all recall the Pic someone posted of a Vega NOMAD Roof Rack photo, it looked like a good fit. The only thing I noticed though was the part that layed on the roof looked exactly like the set up on my 69' Vista Cruiser... So...I'm thinking that perhaps alot of roof rack parts are switchable/adaptable.

As for a link to Matt's Brian.... does'nt exist.

WAGBEAR
1961 Lakewood
Chehalis, Washington
( South of Canada...North of Mexico....Near Olympia ; Planet Earth . smiling smiley

Re: OT-- Wags personal "roofrack"hot smiley
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 27, 2011 02:44PM

Posted by: jbond ()
Date: November 27, 2011 04:20PM

Here you go.

See attached pix - There are 8 slats/ribs and 3 cross slats. The entire grid is somehow attached together at the junctions. The grid is held to the car by the posts that are screwed to the sheet metal top. Slats/ribs are 45 1/8". Cross slats are about 42" across.

The tubes(front,rear and 2 sides will separate from the potmetal chrome posts that hold the tubes up. There are set screws in the posts.

Herb
Corvairless now

Attachments:

Date: November 27, 2011 04:38PM

Thanx Herb...Those are GREAT referance photos... Thank you.
Done all the while that Matt was sitting on his can picking and eating his own bellybutton lint. !grinning smiley

WAGBEAR
1961 Lakewood
Chehalis, Washington

Posted by: dansk ()
Date: November 27, 2011 05:07PM

I have even more detailed pics, but I don't know how to post nor link! Any instructions wagbear? ggggggg
Dann

Dann
So. Calif.
Granada Hills
Daily drivers
1996 Ford E350 Powerstroke diesel
2017 Volkwagen Jetta
Fun cars
1965 Corsa Turbo (currently undergoing total restoration)
1994 Dodge Viper RT10
1996 Dodge Viper GTS
1998 Dodge Viper GT2

Date: November 28, 2011 08:10AM

Dansk...sorry...I don't know how to upload pics yet.....
The differance I've been seeing in various racks is the kind pictured above AND the ones with forward leaning posts....Buick sport Wagons and 69' Vista Cruisers had forward leaning posts...
Again...who was/were the vendors who supplied GM with racks ?

WAGBEAR
1961 Lakewood
Chehalis, Washington

Posted by: NMCarNut ()
Date: November 28, 2011 09:04AM

Great pics, but it does bring up a question, do you know the history of the car and who mounted the rack? While I won't debate where it looks better, I was always under the impression that Chevrolet mounted the rack towards the front of the roof, similar location as the sedan, assumably for weight distribution issues.
What supports the impression are the roof slats on the rack I got years ago to put on my wagon once painted. The rear end of each slat is relieved to let the roof reinforcement rib clear and the front is not. Also each slat has two insulation strips, the front one flat in cross section and the rear molded with an arch to fit on the rib. The joint between the front and rear rubber is at the center cross slat which if the joint is located at the leading edge of the rib places the grid at the "correct" forward mounting position on the roof. Attached are some pics (forgive the filth).
While other racks can be used and in the end look identical, this suggests that the rack is unique to the Lakwood/Wagon, even the Corvair sedan rack is different.
Any ideas or verifications??

Attachments:

Date: November 29, 2011 02:49PM

Still looking for details....Those pics are helpful thanx

WAGBEAR
1961 Lakewood
Chehalis, Washington

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: November 26, 2014 12:42PM

Dragging this old thread to the top... I have never paid much attention to luggage racks. My old Lakewood had an S10 one mounted to it when it was put together by a previous owner. Anyway -- I have a stock one now to go on a Lakewood. Looking for original instructions and or templates, and what hardware was used to mount it. Planning on mounting it forward like the GM literature shows and like on the early sedams. While the car is not about to hit the road, I figure I better drill the holes before it sees any paint, and it might as well get installed versus tyring to figure out where to store it.

Thanks

Posted by: litetrix ()
Date: November 27, 2014 11:03AM

Couple things.

1. Posts for Corvair have two mounting holes in diagonal corners of posts. There are similar looking racks with four holes in post made for something else. Posts are held by two 1/4-20 screws into a rubber bushing which expands into a 1/2" hole in roof. I wonder what the rack weight limit is given the attachment method.

2. Crosspoints of rack held together by strange looking clip I have yet to find someone to reproduce. Have samples of clip and a rack waiting for reassembly. If anyone has tackled a retoration of a rack, I would like to know what techniques were used.

Date: November 27, 2014 06:17PM

Ah yes, an old thread . . .

If you do not already have one then highly, Highly, HIGHLY, recommend purchasing a 61 Accessory Installation Reference Manual. If it is anything like the 66 Manual I have then it will answer all your questions.
One source:
[www.ebay.com]

And what is interesting as I was searching for a photo of the cover, look what other page was also photographed!!:
(please note the location of the wagon rack)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2014 06:19PM by NMCarNut.

Attachments:

Date: November 27, 2014 06:47PM

Sweet! I have that one on the shelf. Just had forgot I did!

Date: November 27, 2014 07:09PM

And here you had the answer the whole time . . .

Post the pages when you get a chance and put to rest the debate as to where Chevy intended placing the rack.

Date: December 02, 2014 02:21PM

Thought I might get near a scanner, but this is good enough.
I bought some well nuts like the selaing nuts it mentions, but I'm not thrilled with the concept. I can always attach with them for now.

Date: December 03, 2014 06:49AM

Depending on the quality, well nuts should do a good job of sealing.

Love how Chevrolet measures from windshield to cross strap at the centerline for the sedan and from the end of an edge rib to windshield on the wagon . . .

Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: April 13, 2022 09:55AM

Resurecting and old thread......

Are the rails designed to be separated or where they delivered as one assembled piece?

Marco
A 2nd Gen Monza Wagon, a 2nd Gen GB 8door, a 2nd Gen (61's were 1st Gen) R/s and a 62nd Gen Turbo coupe..

Hanging out with the scorpions, king snakes, road runners, coyotes and quails In the southern desert of the silver state
Mesquite NV 89024

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: April 13, 2022 10:18AM

My experience with roof rack rails (old Volvo 240s and 740s) was that we had to "snap" the plastic bottoms onto the metal tops. The funny thing was they were separate but could only be purchased as replacement parts in a complete kit.
Of course Marco, just because something was considered non serviceable by the manufacturer...

Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: April 13, 2022 01:46PM

I recently acquired an roof rack for my wagon, but its needs rechrome. The set screws on the stands ONLY held the stands in position on the rails. the rails seem to be pinned through the rails at four points (same area that the posts would sit). Trying to figure out how to take it apart to get the stands off the rails and the rails apart to get all the pieces chromed.

I'm hesitant to try to press out the pins, if they were indeed never intended to be pressed and instead were meant to snap in to the holes on rail that slips over the inner. I don't think that they are spring loaded and they are not rounded buttons like one might find on a collapsible pole, or adjustable lawn chair.

Any ever restore one of these types of old racks?

Marco
A 2nd Gen Monza Wagon, a 2nd Gen GB 8door, a 2nd Gen (61's were 1st Gen) R/s and a 62nd Gen Turbo coupe..

Hanging out with the scorpions, king snakes, road runners, coyotes and quails In the southern desert of the silver state
Mesquite NV 89024

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.