Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Givin' it all away.......I am in the Chicago Northwest Suburbs.
Posted by: handswheels ()
Date: November 25, 2011 07:52PM

I have to downsize due to my illness and not being able to enjoy all my toys + estate. I need to clear my barn of my FITCH Sprint project. 63 Sprint (rusty) 62 clone with a new 7500.00 paint job. Everything is in a mid project state.

Heres the deal. Remove it all by mid December in one move and its yours. Free! No dickering over taking it all or logistics. Only PM me offline if you can do it. Tire kickers will have to deal with my dog! (ok he's a poodle)

First serious inquiries gets it.
I am only keeping the gravel screen but it may be purchased for 500.00 non contingent on the rest.

Rod Vickroy
rvickroy@comcast.net
Chicago

edited to add location

Handswheels
Millennium Park, Chicago
1965 Monza 110 PG Coupe - Orsen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2011 07:56PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Givin' it all away.......
Posted by: ElkyBob ()
Date: November 25, 2011 07:54PM

Hey Rod, always helps to tell us where you are.

Bob Ponder in Tenino WA

1962 Vair Vert/102 4 spd w/EFI
1959 El Camino w/348 5 speed
1987 El Camino w/350 auto
2000 Ford F150
2014 Honda Crosstour

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 25, 2011 07:55PM

Sorry to hear this!

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Date: November 25, 2011 07:55PM

Barrington Hills, Illinois

Date: November 25, 2011 09:38PM

project in better times....[picasaweb.google.com]

Re: Givin' it all away.......I am in the Chicago Northwest Suburbs.
Posted by: macavs ()
Date: November 25, 2011 11:34PM

Sorry to hear you have to give up your hobbies. Hopefully someone will be able to finish and enjoy what you started.

Mike C ........... Northern Indiana

1965 Corsa In my family for 45 years

Date: November 26, 2011 12:47AM

Thank you for your best wishes. No time for hobbies when you have to work full time to keep things together on the home front. No energy left on the weekends. I live out my fantasies thru you guys. Perhaps when I downsize my life I can afford a driver. I got no takers on a trade and not alot of responses on giving it away.

Date: November 26, 2011 01:42AM

Rod, so sorry to hear of your "overload" I'm familiar with the problem!!
Hope you can find a new caretaker for the Fitch project. He is such an amazing guy!!
I'd love to take it on, but I've got too much on my plate already in addition to being half a continent away.

Please put up a link to the Picasa photo album. Never hurts to look....

Dan

Dan Davis - Seattle ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ 65 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn (my current driver!!)
~ 1964 Monza 'Vert ~ 65 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black int ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4
1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: November 26, 2011 01:46AM

Got a taker! Just working out details....Will keep everyone posted.

Date: November 26, 2011 01:47AM

Great news for all!

Posted by: upnorth1 ()
Date: November 26, 2011 02:20AM

Sorry for the misfortune, I've seen similar.

hope it all works out for you!

bob

Chaplain Bob
135 miles from Canada

AT THE TIP OF LAKE SUPERIOR
1961 Loadside 110 140 4 speed, 30 over. 4 speed
1966 Corsa clone
1966 4 door 110 pg

DON'T mess with Old Men, we didn't get old by being, STUPID!!!

\/ this is a mile from my house... \/

Click for Hermantown, Minnesota Forecast

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: November 26, 2011 02:27AM

Hello Rod: I also wish you well and hope the times get better for you. With some luck the fellow who is taking over your project will be able to show it to you as a finished car, at least that will may make you feel a bit better. GOOD LUCK

Sincere regards, Steve

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1967 monza 110/4
1968 monza 110/4 1971 amante gt 110/4

Golden, Colo. CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: November 26, 2011 02:36AM

We got a deal and we all know him well. We are in good hands, I am sure we will be entertained by future threads.

Thank you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Caveman_1960 ()
Date: November 26, 2011 02:57AM

I have PM'd Rod and am making plans to travel to Chicago to pick up the pieces of his dream. As I said to him in my message, next year marks the 50th Anniversary of the introduction of the Fitch Sprint. The first "production" Sprint was based on a 1962 Monza coupe, although John had been working on a 1961 coupe prior and even had designs on the 1960 coupes when they were introduced. Through his contact with Ed Cole John had advance info on the 2-door version of the Corvair and was even hired by Chevrolet as a "consultant". If any of you out there have seen the film on Youtube of the 1960 Corvair running around the countryside and ending up driving down a stream-bed, that is John Fitch at the wheel! He was tooling around the area near his home and near the Lime Rock racetrack that he helped design. I think the stream is the same Salmonkill Creek that runs past John's home.

My plans for Rod's Sprint will be to first comply with his wishes to remove the cars and parts form his barn. Then I will inventory what the package includes and start to locate what is missing. If he has a set of Hands wheels that would be great, but I am not holding my breath on that count. Besides, Cal Clark has an excellent re-pop version of the Hands wheel at Clarks Corvair Parts. I used them on the CPF's 1966 Fitch Sprint restoration project as well as on my own 1963 Sprint convertible clone project. They are very nice wheels! My goal will be to have the car complete and ready to display at the CORSA Convention next year. Hoping that John Fitch will be in good enough health to attend I would gladly hand over the keys and let him take it for a spin - just as we did with the CPF's '66 Sprint last year.

When I first heard about Fitch Sprints back around 1968 I thought they were all white early models with the dark stripes on both sides. I know a little bit more now and can't wait to get my hands on a first-year Sprint. Hey! It's sorta like a Caveman Sprint. Isn't it??? - Caveman Pete the Fitch Sprint Guy

Posted by: macavs ()
Date: November 26, 2011 02:58AM

It's either Cody, Claypool, or???

Date: November 26, 2011 03:07AM

I'm so glad that Pete is able to jump on these types of deals... his record for finishing is top tier!

Date: November 26, 2011 03:09AM

macavs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's either Cody, Claypool, or???
-------------------------

CaveMan!!

That is awesome news!! Great to hear that that one will be put to perfect use!!

BTW, I'm looking for a couple of SPRINT by Fitch nameplates for my re-creation of a 1962 Monza 4 speed Sprint Wagon, if anyone is re-producing them.

All the best to those who are willing to rescue these great pieces of history.

Dan Davis - Seattle ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ 65 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn (my current driver!!)
~ 1964 Monza 'Vert ~ 65 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black int ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4
1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2011 03:13AM by 1966-Corsa-GT-180.

Posted by: UGLYTRUK ()
Date: November 26, 2011 03:42AM

Sigh...

Attachments:

Posted by: Caveman_1960 ()
Date: November 26, 2011 03:43AM

How about this for what goes around comes around: Many years ago I answered an ad in the Corsa Communique for a rusty 1963 Fitch Sprint in Eastern New York State. It turned out that the seller was one Nelson "Skip" North, former Service Manager for John Fitch at the Sprint Works in Lakeville, CT. The car itself was a former John Fitch demonstrator model Sprint that John drove for one year and then sold to a race car driver friend named John Poland. Mr. Poland was involved in a racing accident and lost his life. Skip North picked up the car from the estate but did not do any repair or restoration work on it. It just sat and got rustier. By the time I got it the body was pretty bad, but hey! It was a real live Sprint and it had provenance. John Fitch drove it !! My book says fix it and save it. This I did and then I sold the car to fellow-CCE member Jack Photnehaur of Hammond, Indiana. I think Jack re-bodied the car because it was such a rust bucket. He also drove it and enjoyed it and it probably got rusty again. Could this be the same Sprint that Rod mentions as being built by Don also of Hammond, IN? I know of a CCE member Don Hurr who was from Indiana and I think Hammond was the town. Could Jack have sold the car to Don and then Rod picked it up? If so, I've known of this car since the very early '80's.

It is interesting to know that current knowledge tells us that John Fitch only built four "demo's" for his use exclusively. The first known version was this 1963 that went to John Poland. That car was replaced by a 1964 Sprint that went to a lady somewhere in New York City as per Skip North. The next Fitch Sprint demo is the well documented 1965 Corsa coupe that appeared on a period cover of Car and Driver magazine. That car is returning to the Earth in Skip North's yard in Millerton, NY. The '65 was replaced by the 1966 Corsa that John kept for three years (no more Corsas available from Chevrolet) and finally sold to his Parts Manager Kurt Hein in 1969. By that time John had the Fitch Phoenix to keep his automotive interests up. The '66 demo is currently owned by the CPF and is on permanent display at the Saratoga Automotive Museum in Saratoga Springs, NY.

Soooo, If the John Fitch John Poland Skip North Pete Koehler Jack Photenhaur Don Hurr Rod Vickroy 1963 Fitch Sprint is coming back to me, isn't a heck of a story? - Caveman Pete

Date: November 26, 2011 03:49AM

WOW!!

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.