Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Finch head torque sequence...
Posted by: Scott Kirkman ()
Date: October 26, 2011 01:38AM

I know the method outlined in his book is preferred, but I don't have the book. I searched here but didn't come up with anything. Help please!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2011 01:38AM by Scott Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finch head torque sequence...
Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: October 26, 2011 02:10AM

I don't know about the Fitch torque sequence but here is what I use.

I start in the top center, left or right, using 15 lbs. ft. of torque. Then go to the opposite lower corner and do the same thing, then the other bottom stud and the opposite top one in an X pattern. Then continue in a large X pattern and so on. Be sure and re-torque the center studs each pass.

On the second pass I use either 20 or 25 lbs. ft. of torque in the same pattern.

On the third pass I use 30 lbs. ft. of torque and I use a modified X pattern in that I will tighten the top center studs then the bottom center studs. The top left, top right, outboard of the center 4 studs then the same with the lower studs. Continue to finish torquing the remainder. I stop at 30 lbs and use no more, even on my race engines.

Once you are all done, make at least 2 more passes at the 30 lbs. in any order you want to. Check torque all the way through and the center ones will be loose as you start the recheck, I generally start there. The center 4 studs should be the last studs checked even if it is the fourth time for them.

Using this I have never burned a head gasket, not even the copper ones. Well, once I lost a copper head gasket but no steel ones.

Ken Hand
CORSA Central Division Director
CORSA Treasurer
248 613 8586
[www.corvairmechanic.com]
vairmech@aol.com

[s186.photobucket.com]

Photobucket
Nose art from a CH-47 in Viet Nam

Photobucket

Posted by: bill darcy ()
Date: October 26, 2011 02:17AM

Finch torque sequence.

5 11 1 7 3 9

12 6 8 2 10 4

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: October 26, 2011 02:32AM

Either way ALMOST equals the same thing. Torquing any head (or case halves) means you start in the middle and work your way outward. Whether you do the middle cylinder and then one end cylinder and then the other as compared to the normal GM method virtually ends up the same.

I do the same as Ken, work up from low torque figures and I make more passes at each torque setting that Ken; not that it matters.

EDIT to add: It is easier to go back and forth between the 9/16" and 13/16" with one of the K-M sockets with both sizes built together. I am surprised that someone hasn't replicated that socket. There was a 'how-to' in the COMMUNIQUE several years ago but I don't think too many tried to copy it.

Sincere regards, Steve

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1967 monza 110/4
1968 monza 110/4 1971 amante gt 110/4

Golden, Colo. CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2011 02:36AM by steve c goodman.

Posted by: tboltkc ()
Date: October 26, 2011 02:41AM

steve c goodman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> EDIT to add: It is easier to go back and forth
> between the 9/16" and 13/16" with one of the K-M
> sockets with both sizes built together. I am
> surprised that someone hasn't replicated that
> socket. There was a 'how-to' in the COMMUNIQUE
> several years ago but I don't think too many tried
> to copy it.

I tried to make one of my own concept but it didn't work. I haven't seen that article. Steve, you are amazing at coming up with the issue, any chance you can do it for this article?

-Travis

'65 Corsa 180/4; '63 Convertible 102/PG; '62 Deluxe Station Wagon; '65 Monza 4DR 110/4; RUPP Chevy Jr.; Red HUFFY Corvair Bike

Heart of America Corvair Owners Assocation (Kansas City, MO)

"Beer will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no beer."
-Maureen Ogle, beer historian

Date: October 26, 2011 02:50AM

tboltkc Wrote:

> I tried to make one of my own concept but it
> didn't work. I haven't seen that article. Steve,
> you are amazing at coming up with the issue, any
> chance you can do it for this article?

Steve tries to help: I just found it, page 9 in the tech guide TOOL section. I am not sure how well it would work but it should give you the idea anyway. GOOD LUCK

Sincere regards, Steve

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: October 26, 2011 02:59AM

Steve,,do you have a pic of that socket? I might have one and not know it? I would think the 13/16 would be shallow on the end of the socket with the 9/16 being a tad deeper inside,,that would be a great tool to own for doing heads,,swaping sockets works but a pain,,Friend of mine was useing 2 different torque wrenches but I dont like that idea,,I will be digging thru my socket drawer tomorrow!

Posted by: bill darcy ()
Date: October 26, 2011 02:59AM

Can't say for sure whether Finch's method is any better only that it's more symetrical.IMHO torqueing in graduated steps is more important than sequence either way.

Date: October 26, 2011 03:05AM

Hello Dave: I can't find any reference to the socket in the shop manuals, sorry.
I thought it was a Kent-Moore tool but I may be mistaken.

Sincere regards, Steve

Posted by: Wyvern ()
Date: October 26, 2011 04:07AM

Dave, mine's a Snap-On, but the number on it is obsolete. I'll show it to you next time I see you.

James
'65 Corsa project
"I may not always drive a car, but when I do, I prefer a Corvair. Stay loose, my friends."

Posted by: gwydionjhr ()
Date: October 26, 2011 04:25AM

Here's a quick video. If you have the wherewithal to make one it's well worth it. Your sholders will thank you!

Regards,
Joel Rushworth
1961 Rampside w/Deluxe Scamper Camper
1966 Corsized Cdn Monza Coupe
1967 UV #292
"Kick the Hell out of the Status Quo" - Ed Cole

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: October 26, 2011 04:32AM

Cool thanks Joel! Now I will know what to look for or can probly make one? James I will look at it next time I come down? Cool Tool!thumbs up

Posted by: tboltkc ()
Date: October 26, 2011 04:50PM

Yeah, Joel, thanks for the video! And thanks to Steve for pointing me to the tech guide.

The one in the tech guide is made with a short 9/16 3/8 drive, a 13/16 3/8 drive spark plug socket, a piece of square 3/8 rod, a spring, a washer and a screw. The 9/16 socket was attached to the rod, the spring goes over that and then slides into the spark plug socket. The screw and washer is attached to the end sticking through the drive hole on the spark plug socket to hold it in. With this setup you then need to use another deep socket on the spark plug socket to drive it.

It looks like the manufactured tool uses a 9/16 socket with a hex head on it that is driven by the 13/16 socket. Curious what holds it in though.

-Travis

'65 Corsa 180/4; '63 Convertible 102/PG; '62 Deluxe Station Wagon; '65 Monza 4DR 110/4; RUPP Chevy Jr.; Red HUFFY Corvair Bike

Heart of America Corvair Owners Assocation (Kansas City, MO)

"Beer will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no beer."
-Maureen Ogle, beer historian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2011 04:51PM by tboltkc.

Posted by: martyscarr ()
Date: October 26, 2011 06:56PM

Here's my head torquing socket - made by Rex Johnson (RJ Tools), it just slips in the 13/16" socket for the smaller 9/16" nuts.

Marty Scarr

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.