Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
American Flat 6

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT : I never knew that the Chevy VEGA Wagon came in a NOMAD configuration... ( 76'-77') Check out the wagon roofracks ! )
Posted by: wagbear ()
Date: October 23, 2011 03:02PM

If you search the Vega Nomad Wagon it's amazing that the roofrack looks almost identical to the Vair' wagon, with forward leaning posts. Was suprised to see that they DID make a Nomad wagon.....would be interesting to mate a Vega Nomad Wagon roof to an LM, as it has the tapered rear quarter glass like the 55's, 56's, and 57's....

WAGBEAR
1961 Lakewood
Chehalis, Washington
( South of Canada...North of Mexico....Near Olympia ; Planet Earth . smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2011 01:31AM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT : I never knew that the Chevy Nomad Wagon came in a NOMAD configuration... ( 76'-77') Check out the wagon roofracks ! )
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 23, 2011 03:05PM

Links???????????????

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Re: OT : I never knew that the Chevy Nomad Wagon came in a NOMAD configuration... ( 76'-77') Check out the wagon roofracks ! )
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 23, 2011 03:16PM

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Posted by: Woodkeeth ()
Date: October 23, 2011 04:05PM

Wow I have owned 3 wagon based Vegas ( two regular wagons and one panel express). I never saw or heard of the Nomad option for '76. The rear vertical peices look like reformed side trim. And they added a large panel behind the door covering part of the rear window.

BTW the roof is stock for all Vega wagons and the Panel express and so is that roof rack. I just sold 2 last year that I had left over.

It also seems to me someone has used the Vega roof to make a LM Vair wagon.
The problem is the racks are being taken for other vehicles and are hard to find sometimes.

Just me but I think it looks goofy.

Keith Woodke
Romeoville,IL
65 110 PG w/AC

"I can't control the wind, but I can adjust my sails" (the paper towels in my kitchen).

Posted by: Johnniespeed ()
Date: October 23, 2011 04:09PM

Mighty fine Vega, I am overcome with envy. In 74 I almost bought the Vega panel wagon, but kept my old Beetle instead. dodged that bullet.

John

Snowy Sparta Michigan.

Posted by: Woodkeeth ()
Date: October 23, 2011 04:17PM

Oh and I must add, I love Vegas. I still lust to have a GT hatchback. And also I ran over 200,000 miles between the 3 and had little trouble even though they all had many miles on them when I bought them used.

Posted by: Leon Renaud ()
Date: October 23, 2011 04:32PM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [farm3.static.flickr.com]
> bb52bca_b.jpg

The tail gate trim is Vynal stick on body trim same as the side moldings I had to apply a lot of this stuff working for a Pontiac/Buick dealership back then. I think you'll find the roof rack is the same on the Monza wagon and the Pontiac Astre/Sunbird wagons.The rear side vents on these always made me think "Air cooled rear engine"put a Corvair drive line in one of these bodies.Who can photo shop a few Corvair details to this?how would it look with either an EM or LM nose? As for the roof racks I hated them they would all hum at anything over 30 mph!I suppose you'd get use to it but I never like the noise.A little known fact was GM had an unanounced replacement policy for the front fenders on these cars.Dealers were authorised to replace the front fenders free if a customer complained enough!We replaced a few sets on Astres for rot

Date: October 23, 2011 08:19PM

Wow....That's a great pic of that Vega Wagon. Sorry I screwed up the post header and forgot to put in VEGA, as I don't think many have ever seen a Vega Nomad before. Most definately might be a sourch for a luggage rack, but it seems like the feet/mounts are curved. I wonder if the width is the same as Lakewoods or Monza Wagons?

WAGBEAR
1961 Lakewood
Chehalis, Washington
( South of Canada...North of Mexico....Near Olympia ; Planet Earth . smiling smiley

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: October 24, 2011 01:28AM

Have we decided there is no such thing as a NOMAD Vega wagon? Just curious, I can't find any mention in my VEGA P&A denoting 'nomad'. I used to handle a Vega or two and some of the COSWORTH stuff I still see. I still have one customer that has a 3.5L BOP/5 speed that I helped with from the early 80s.

Sincere regards, Steve

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1967 monza 110/4
1968 monza 110/4 1971 amante gt 110/4

Golden, Colo. CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Re: OT : I never knew that the Chevy VEGA Wagon came in a NOMAD configuration... ( 76'-77') Check out the wagon roofracks ! )
Date: October 24, 2011 03:17PM

Type in Nomad Vega Wagon.... I found a few examples.... They DO exist, and as far as I can tell were made in 76' -77'.

WAGBEAR
1961 Lakewood
Chehalis, Washington

Re: OT : I never knew that the Chevy VEGA Wagon came in a NOMAD configuration... ( 76'-77') Check out the wagon roofracks ! )
Posted by: rnch ()
Date: October 24, 2011 03:23PM

i've always wanted a vega GT wagon with a small block chevy dropped in place of the shakey, vibration prone 4 banger stock engine.

if anyone knows of one for sale, lemmie know.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: October 24, 2011 09:13PM

Makes me think of the early-mid 70's Monza Spyder.... what a hunk of..........
The Monza had body roll like a scateboard... Chevy added stickers and caled it a Spyder. Then eht Mustang II advertised having Road hugging weight... Oil embargo... dropped that line. Swing and a miss..!

Corventure Dave

Posted by: Ed Dowds ()
Date: October 24, 2011 09:55PM

I built an engine-less 72 Vega wagon into a 327-235hp GT wagon in 1978.
I added an Addco front sway bar. Body roll was not a problem!

Ed
Hillsborough, NJ
66 500 rear 4.3 V6 Corvair
69 350/350 TH Camaro was RS
30 Model A Ford Streetrod 350/400 TH
88 Celebrity Wagon (Daily Driver)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.