Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8
OT- progress on the Renault
Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: October 12, 2011 12:50PM

Time is running out for me to get the Renault on its feet (so to speak) and get it to customs. I finally was able to get away for a parts run, so left yesterday morning at 4:30 for Argentina. By 8:30 I learned that there are no more junk yards, at least in the north, so I ran around parts stores with my list. Anyway, by noon I had $900 worth of suspension and brake parts selected which will be delivered today in Tarija tax-free under their "don't ask, don't tell" policy. I also have their Bolivian bank account number and email to order other parts as I need them.

Anyway, by noon I was enjoying an Argentine steak. By 4:30 I was back in Tarija. Since I couldn't find new A-Frames, I set out to patch the rusty ones and straighten them. First thing this morning I got to work grinding the welds and painting, so they are in the sun (85F in the shade, parts are too hot to handle in the sun) and tomorrow I have a friend with a press to help put in the bushings and bearings. Then assemble.

Just like the TV shows, time runs out. I have a Saturday morning flight to Santa Cruz, since that is where I'm registered to vote, and voting (Sunday) is mandatory here. We have to elect the appellate and supreme court judges out of a list of about 50 candidates, all pre-selected by the ruling party.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT- progress on the Renault
Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: October 12, 2011 12:53PM

Looking good!

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: October 12, 2011 02:32PM

Nice jobthumbs up

Posted by: kenzen ()
Date: October 12, 2011 02:52PM

I don't know what is more enjoyable, the progress on the car, or the education on international tax laws...great work on both!

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Posted by: Setterz54 ()
Date: October 12, 2011 03:08PM

Great job Richard! Your resourcefulness never stops.

Setterz54
Fulton,MD.

Posted by: rnch ()
Date: October 12, 2011 03:56PM

THREE lug nuts per wheel?

eye popping smiley

Posted by: afragasr ()
Date: October 12, 2011 03:57PM

Progress= moving forward.
Good job.
Armando.

63' Vert - Power Top ------------ 63' Vert

2007 SR's camera pics 066 CAMERA 1- Mis. 086

Armando Fraga Sr.
West Hartford,CT

Posted by: bill darcy ()
Date: October 12, 2011 04:05PM

If necessity is the Mother of invention Richard must be the Father of ingenuity.You never cease to amaze us.Great work as usual.

Posted by: dansk ()
Date: October 12, 2011 04:47PM

Richard, did you put the mask on during painting just for us. We don't need no stinkin mask here when painting outside lol. Great job and great improvising.
Dann

Date: October 12, 2011 04:58PM

Actually the first time I've used a mask (sometimes a handkerchief), but I don't like to clean paint out of my nose, and I had this in my bag from my visit to a cement plant last week. Those visits are with mask, ear plugs, goggles, steel boots and hard hats.

First I put it on to trim the excess brake lining off the brake shoes. On 4 of them they left 2mm extra on each side, so my grinder came in handy. That dust is terrible.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair

Date: October 12, 2011 05:18PM

rnch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> THREE lug nuts per wheel?
>
>
> eye popping smiley
========================================================
Three points establish a plane - good enough for the French!!
Less unsprung weight = Extra performance, too!

Looking great, Richard. How are those darn wheel cylinders coming along?

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2011 05:19PM by 1966-Corsa-GT-180.

Posted by: curt ()
Date: October 12, 2011 05:28PM

Nothing steadier than three points.
We had a Renault CV4. Got 45 miles per gallon on the road and 35 around town. Had to webuild the engine every 20,000 miles. I forget, 28 or 32 HP. with a top speed of 69-62 mph.

Posted by: Mark Pietz ()
Date: October 13, 2011 07:32AM

Not really off topic. Rear engine, swing axle oddball car. My very first car was a 1959 Renault Dauphine. Paid $35 for it in 1969. The clutch was so bad you could get the front bumper up against a brick wall, and slooowly let out the clutch and the engine would keep running. No oil filter, just oil changes every 2K miles. With the help of a neighbor who had been a mechanic, I learned about pulling an engine, and we put a crank kit in it along with the clutch. The TOB was one of those carbon ring things like in the bugs (and a later old SAAB 3-popper I bought for cheap). Guess my penchant for odd/orphan cars is in my genes. The Renault had a weak battery, so when it was flat but still had some charge, I took the tire jack handle and inserted it through a hole in the body for that purpose, AND HAND CRANKED THE THING like an old Model T Ford. yawning smiley Those frogs thought of everything, didn't they? Used to drive around in it with my high school friends. Didn't matter if we were going up or down hills, it would top out at 55 mph.

Why use four lug nuts when three will do???? grinning smiley

Interesting car.

Date: October 13, 2011 04:01PM

Well, the bad news is NONE of the parts fit. Something went wrong with the part numbers or catalogs or something. The distributor he sent was 6 cylinder! Shocks and bushings are all way too big. Brake cylinders too big, etc.

Plan B
So I'm working on the differences, will need my friend to assemble when the right parts come. We did pull all the bushings today and got the brake drums turned. Now they are all the same diameter.

Anyway, I took the spindles to a local machine shop to smooth out the spindles and make oversize sleeves, then make an oversize eccentric for it where you adjust the camber, plus one for the other side where someone eliminated it in favor of a fixed bushing. Those are promised for tomorrow.

Wheel cylinders, unless this guy sends me the right ones, will be reamed out to the next available size.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair

Posted by: vairyhard ()
Date: October 13, 2011 04:18PM

Stinks that the parts don't fit! We know you'll work it all out though. Very nice refurbishment of the suspension and brake parts. Look like new again!

Best of luck obtaining the needed (correct) parts. Always interesting and amazing to view your work, Richard... you are indeed a rare individual. Looking forward to your progress.

Kevin

Quartz Hill, CA
'65 Crown

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: October 13, 2011 05:38PM

Very nice job Richard.

After many years in the old car hobby I learned to appreciate good work since it isn't all that common.

Changed the part numbers huh. Not that unusual. I've run into this with both Ford and GM. Change happened due to parts control being moved to a different division and of course computer systems coming online after the 60's.

Posted by: bill darcy ()
Date: October 13, 2011 05:50PM

After following Richards posts on his progress and the adversity he works under he should be called McGyver de Bolivia.

Date: October 15, 2011 12:57PM

Guy from the parts store says he will replace everything. Meanwhile I got the eccentrics made (interesting way to set the camber).

Customs says they have a new directive that says it has to run, not just show up. so unless they get persuaded to make an exception, I'll figure out how to register it later, they accumulate the parts and go ahead and rebuild the engine and transmission when I get back in November.

So it sits waiting

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair

Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: October 15, 2011 01:18PM

Richard, the behavior of the Customs dept reminds me of what my dad said about the Navy
(he served before WW2), that "they had a fixed and unchanging rule for that day!"

Pages: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.