Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
this is bizzare
Posted by: B-Nasty ()
Date: September 14, 2011 02:33PM

I just received my transferred title in the mail for the 64 coupe I bought. There were no problems at the tax office when I gave them all the paper work and payed taxes but just now looking at the title it says 1967 for the year and 3800 on the weight. It is blank under "model". The title the car came with was correct. My new title vin number matches the door post vin on the car. either the DMV messed up or the vin plaque on the car was ripped off a 67 chev that weighs 3800....what should I do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: this is bizzare
Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: September 14, 2011 02:44PM

Is the ID tag spot welded in? On the Early Models it should be spot welded, however Export Earlies had them Pop-Riveted. There is a part number in the assembly manual for the rivet's on export's.
I had an origional 65 CORSA that had an ID tag that said it was a Monza door.
Tags have been swaped around over the years. Lates are riveted in and easy to swap, but seeing yours is a 64 the tag should be spot-welded to indicate it is origional.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: September 14, 2011 04:27PM

I hate to say this but I can swap an early tag VIN plate and no one would ever know. No, I won't say how.

Probably what happened is the DMV went to their generic book and assigned a weight to it. It should be classed a a 2900# car. I would say the DMV messed up big time. You need to go see them ASAP. Take a rubbing of the VIN plate with you.

BTW, what is the VIN?

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: September 14, 2011 04:33PM

Date: September 14, 2011 04:37PM

40927w253001

its hard to see in the photo but its the same.

Posted by: Paul Iiames ()
Date: September 14, 2011 04:48PM

www.chevyresource.com

I checked this site and it says that you car is indeed a 1964 Chevy corvair.
Try it your self, just look for VIN Decoding

Always on Vacation
in Lexington, Texas
(an hour east of Austin,Tx)
1964 monza convertible
Azure Aqua Metallic
Lonestarcorvairs.com
<table style="width:194px;"><tr><td align="center" style="height:194px;background:url(https://picasaweb.google.com/s/c/transparent_album_background.gif) no-repeat left"><a href="[picasaweb.google.com] src="[lh3.googleusercontent.com]; width="160" height="160" style="margin:1px 0 0 4px;"></a></td></tr><tr><td style="text-align:center;font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:11px"><a href="[picasaweb.google.com]; style="color:#4D4D4D;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:none;">new weels</a></td></tr></table>

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: September 14, 2011 05:17PM

Please bear with me as this has hit a nerve.angry smiley

Many of the idiots at the department of motor vehicles know absolutely nothing about motor vehicles at all. In my opinion a trained kangaroo would do a better job.

I have taken titles in for low mileage vehicles and marked it as actual mileage then got titles back saying "Exceeds mechanical limits of speedometer" which in days gone by meant it had 100K plus miles on it. This drastically reduces the value of a legitimate low mileage car but they could care less. I have made them fix it in years gone by (three times so far) but also suspect these days the titles somehow would get marked as "problem found with title"

Most recently I bought a vehicle with the newer million mile speedometer in it.
The vehicle had 100K plus miles on it and when the title came back, it was also marked "Exceeds mechanical limit of speedometer" even though I marked it as actual mileage.
The idiot tried telling me that it was OK because it "meant" the vehicle had over 100K on it. I pointed out that it read like the vehicle had over a million miles on it which again reduced the value of the vehicle. When they asked me what I expected them to do about it, I told them to either change the wording on the title or simply mark "actual mileage" as I had indicated.

What ticks me off the most is IF I were to make an honest error, they make me jump through all sorts of hoops to fix it and stress the importance of accuracy.
When they make an error.....or randomly change the clearly marked information....it's my problem. I don't think so.confused smiley

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2011 05:19PM by Caraholic4life.

Posted by: bill darcy ()
Date: September 14, 2011 08:00PM

I think we have all come to the conclusion that a root canal is preferable to a second or third visit to DMV.Don't know about other states but one thing good about the Land of Entrapment is we do have privately owned and operated title and tag offices available to us.The additional fee is modest and most are very knowedgeable and helpful.Recently helped the widow of a good friend get all titles put in her name and the private firm was head and shoulders above the local state office who had dragged her back twice for a simple name change,and she had a death certificate and everything else they asked for.Private firm had us out in 15 minutes.

Date: September 14, 2011 10:13PM

Paul Iiames Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> www.chevyresource.com
>
> I checked this site and it says that you car is
> indeed a 1964 Chevy corvair.
> Try it your self, just look for VIN Decoding

what a relief, thanks for looking that up.

Posted by: gwydionjhr ()
Date: September 14, 2011 10:23PM

I wouldn't ignore it as some have suggested, JMO, but it's liable to be twice as big a headache when you go to sell it.

Regards,
Joel Rushworth
1961 Rampside w/Deluxe Scamper Camper
1966 Corsized Cdn Monza Coupe
1967 UV #292
"Kick the Hell out of the Status Quo" - Ed Cole

Posted by: Paul Iiames ()
Date: September 15, 2011 03:03AM

Not only when you sell it BUT if by some chance you get pulled over and the police run your plate and it comes back to a 67 chevy, You could be in for jail time for stolen plates even though you know your in the right.

Like the others have said, go take care of it asap.

Always on Vacation
in Lexington, Texas
(an hour east of Austin,Tx)
1964 monza convertible
Azure Aqua Metallic
Lonestarcorvairs.com
<table style="width:194px;"><tr><td align="center" style="height:194px;background:url(https://picasaweb.google.com/s/c/transparent_album_background.gif) no-repeat left"><a href="[picasaweb.google.com] src="[lh3.googleusercontent.com]; width="160" height="160" style="margin:1px 0 0 4px;"></a></td></tr><tr><td style="text-align:center;font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:11px"><a href="[picasaweb.google.com]; style="color:#4D4D4D;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:none;">new weels</a></td></tr></table>

Posted by: MonzaDave ()
Date: September 15, 2011 07:16AM

Caraholic4life Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Many of the idiots at the department of motor
> vehicles know absolutely nothing about motor
> vehicles at all. In my opinion a trained kangaroo
> would do a better job.

Kangaroos don't have opposable thumbs. smiling smiley

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Date: September 15, 2011 09:24AM

I went down there this morning and they said I have to wait a month before they can fix it.

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: September 15, 2011 10:23AM

California DMV expects you to pay for their mistakes.... no kidding. I had a hell of a time registering my 1987 Sportster in my name. Initially, I paid $430 to transfer a title in my name (yes, way too much). Five weeks later, I finally received title in the mail. Discovered identification number had two extra digits. Huh? How in the world did they mess that up? I wasted a second trip (had to take a day off from work) to the DMV to show them their error. Guess what? I now had to bring my motorcycle down to DMV office for a formal inspection. And no, you cannot ride it. So I had scrounge about for a motorcycle trailer and haul the damn thing down to the DMV. Now I'm pissed, I had an appointment at 10am it is now pushing 4:00 in the afternoon sitting in the sun, baking my brains out. Finally some gal comes out with a clip board to take a rubbing of I.D. number and a few photos. Meanwhile there's an Escondido cop hovering about making certain all is right in the world. Shelled out another $55 for an inspection fee. Again, five weeks later it's still isn't correct.... they misspelled Harley-Davidson (Harlay-Davidson). Aw, screw it.

Posted by: afterdarkgames ()
Date: September 15, 2011 11:28AM

Well at least you are an owner of a one of a kind bike. Now it is a Documented Harlay.winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.