Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: What Oil Do I Use?
Posted by: curt ()
Date: September 12, 2011 03:55PM

The bottom line is there is not a simple off the shelf, easy to find quart of oil for flat tappet valve engines. (Someone may find an easy to get oil source and share it.) Get informed from a non " my opinion" source and hunt a place down that has a workable oil. This weekend at the car meet a life time, top notch mechanic told everyone to use 10W-40 Havoline oil. "I used it all my life without any problems." His opinion omits that his engine (Henry J) has not changed and his oil (Havoline) has changed to the needs of a more modern engine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: September 12, 2011 04:05PM

I hear the "never had a problem" story every day. Usually from people who rebuild engines before 50,000 miles. That is normal in their opinion. Havoline is for modern gasoline engines. I don't even have to look it up.

I'll bet that valvoline stuff is in most FLAPS

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the Corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: davhamm ()
Date: September 12, 2011 04:10PM

curt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The bottom line is there is not a simple off the
> shelf, easy to find quart of oil for flat tappet
> valve engines. (Someone may find an easy to get
> oil source and share it.) ...

Ok, you did not say cheap.

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: stitch ()
Date: September 12, 2011 04:53PM

$7 a pop is not too bad for some good S*^#T! Just bought 6. Thanx for the link. I live right outside San Antonio, and the closest place that sells' Brad Penn' is near Houston. Sheeeesh! &7 a pop! I remember .69 a quart, in a can, with the special 'Push-on-spout'!! ggg

"If you can't fix it with a Hammer, you have an Electrical problem."
Stitch...
Schertz, Texas.
(Smallish town/burg 17 mi. NE of San Antonio)

'Ms Penny'
!967.. 4th body
8th off the line

Date: September 12, 2011 05:02PM

And I remember weekly visits to buy 12 gallons of gas and a 10 qt can of oil for my 1950 Studebaker. 20 cents a quart for oil and 25 cents a gallon for the gas.
$5 total.

I thought oil was oil. And "didn't have problems"

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 12, 2011 05:19PM

Heck Richard1... I used "reclaimed" "Desert Tested" oil in my 63 340 hp vette just before I freshened it...

All was fine inside...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: September 12, 2011 05:31PM

Ok... I will share here.
Let me premis this by saying there are good oils and great oils. Use what you like the best. I only post here with my actual experience and do not like to post "you may try this or try that". So please use your own judgement.

First I am talking about street engines because I put the most miles on daily drivers. The best example I have is my 64 Greenbrier. I bought it 33 yeras ago with 89k on th ticker. I built a 110 engine for it and that evolved into a sweet 95hp.
Right now it has 358,000 miles on the clock. I like to go through and rebuild the engine every 120k or so,just for reliability. It is a daily driver! I can tell you that right now it has the same Std-Std crankshaft in a FC engine crankcase that I put in way back then. The crankshaft shows right in the middle of spec's for journal size. So that makes almost 270k miles on the same crankshaft. But wait.... I know that crank came out of an engine that had 70k+ when I origionally built it. So that makes this crankshaft have almost 340k miles on it and its still Std-Std and within spec's??? Read on...

Getting back to oil.... My great trick... my great secret is.....
I change the oil and filter every 2500 miles. I also use Penzoil 30 wt oil. Nothing special. Some call it Dino oil. I have used synthetics on other engines and they are great, but I always go back to that 95 in my Brier.

Changing the oil often enough and keeping it clean has worked for me over the years. Oh.... also not running without a fanbelt has helped quite a bit.

So there is my huge secret I just wanted to share. I have nothing against the better oils available. There is some great stuff available.

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: September 12, 2011 05:34PM

Around hear a few motorcycle shops have Brad Penn--try looking there.

Posted by: Bob65 ()
Date: September 13, 2011 04:41PM

Brad-Penn now sells a 10W30 oil part#009-7168. I can find no zinc phosphorous specs on their web sight. Anyone else find anything?

Date: September 13, 2011 05:48PM

Bob65 Wrote:
> Brad-Penn now sells a 10W30 oil part#009-7168. I
> can find no zinc phosphorous specs on their web
> sight. Anyone else find anything?

Bob, thats what the amazon link above takes you to. Richard's report has this oil in it.

Date: September 13, 2011 06:18PM

I think Richard's report has the specs for their 10w30 racing oil.

Date: September 13, 2011 08:22PM

Until further recomendations I would say the above mention part # of Brad Penn is not for Corvairs. It is not green and has a service rating of SN. I did not know they made two 10W-30 oils and bought this apparently by mistake. I will use it in my truck.

Posted by: danyarger ()
Date: September 13, 2011 08:38PM

Ok forget everything you think you knew about motor oil. Use this, Rotella 10w30 synthetic blend. Yes it's Diesel motor oil. Why do Corvairs need it? Because it has the proper CJ-4/CI-4 rating which means it has the correct amount of Zinc and Phosphorus additive that flat tappet cammed engines like Corvairs need. Ofcourse you can pay $15 more and get ZDDP additive which is Zinc and Phosphorus and add it to regular modern car motor oil but why when this stuff already includes it. They sell it at Walmart for around $11 for a gallon jug. You'll need an extra pint for the filter. Most of the Diesel motor oils like Rotella and Delo are CJ-4 rated. All other motor oils that are commonly found are not. Forget sticking with your favorite trusted brand that you've sworn buy for years because it doesn't apply to your Corvair. When shopping for Corvair oil, look for the CJ-4 rating on that back of the bottle. If you don't see it, don't purchase it.

Attachments:
Date: September 14, 2011 03:38AM

Sorry,
I think I'll stick with Brad Penn Oil 009-7150S 10W-30 Racing Oil which has all the ZDDP you need. Note this is the Racing Oil not recommended for cars with cat's because its the old formula.

Sounds like we have 2 easily available options.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2011 03:45AM by davhamm.

Date: September 14, 2011 04:01AM

Great, finally getting the message that every oil has a first and last name. First name: Viscosity
Last name: API Classification

There are brands with 2, 3, 4, or 5 oils of the same viscosity. Without the first and last names, a recommendation can be very wrong.

BTW, Yesterday one of my people was talking to the phone company maintenance chief about their vehicles and maintenance. The guy complained that Grand Cherokees were terrible, made too much noise, no power etc. He asked what oil they were using and he said "SAE 40, of course, everyone knows it is the best!"

Of course Jeep recommends (and I use in my GC) 5W-20. Runs great on that.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair

Posted by: Eric66 ()
Date: September 14, 2011 08:00AM

Richard, are you familiar with BG Hi-Lo 0W30 full synthetic?

Eric H.
--------------------------------------
1966 Mist Blue Corsa coupe 140/4-speed
Damascus, MD

Posted by: curt ()
Date: September 14, 2011 08:13AM

..."Until further recommendations I would say the above mention part # of Brad Penn is not for Corvairs. It is not green and has a service rating of SN. I did not know they made two 10W-30 oils and bought this apparently by mistake. I will use it in my truck."

Here is a Brad Penn analysis: [www.penngrade1.com]

Check off ZN/P to the right.

Posted by: stitch ()
Date: September 14, 2011 08:21AM

I think I'll stick with Brad Penn Oil 009-7150S 10W-30 Racing Oil which has all the ZDDP you need.

From oil....to filter. Does everyone, or most, still agree that WIX 51038 or NAPA 1038 is one of the better filters on the market. (I remember reading some of Richard 1's filter "Disections")...

Date: September 14, 2011 10:31AM

BRAD PENN® PENN-GRADE 1®
PARTIAL SYNTHETIC SAE 10W-30 HIGH PERFORMANCE OIL
Product info data sheet

[www.amref.com]

Date: September 14, 2011 11:38AM

Eric66 Wrote:
> Richard, are you familiar with BG Hi-Lo 0W30 full
> synthetic?

Never heard of it, but google sends me to their page, where I'll disqualify if for Corvairs based on on being SN (and also the collection of snake oils they are advertising on that site).

BG Hi-L0W30 is a revolutionary full synthetic engine oil utilizing the most shear stable polymer technology available. BG Hi-L0W30 flows immediately to lubricate vital engine components, even at very low temperatures. Provides long drain life of 15,000 miles (24,000 km). Designed for passenger cars, vans and light trucks requiring API SN and preceding engine oil.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair

Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.