Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
slamming em without air bags
Posted by: corvairsixtyfour ()
Date: September 09, 2011 09:55PM

alright so i have a 64 corvair. i already cut 2 coills up front and 1 1/2 coils in the back. its low but not as low as i want it. i have a little bit of negative camber but i dont mind it. is their any way of lowering it more without getting into to much problems

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: slamming em without air bags
Posted by: Boosted60 ()
Date: September 09, 2011 11:08PM

chop the top!

Date: September 09, 2011 11:15PM

If he chops the top he may be sorry.

Lon

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: September 09, 2011 11:20PM

Corvair64, The short answer is - no! If you drop it further youll have to modify things to regain suspension travel because it will constantly "bottom out", and the negative camber becomes downright comical. The only way to decrease the camber loss is to raise the transaxle

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 09, 2011 11:31PM

Time for 35 series tires....

stock diameter is 24"... get down to 20" and you'll be in the gutter!

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: September 09, 2011 11:43PM

I would think that you would need to use offset control arm shafts in the rear to bring the inner part ofbthe arm up into the rear crossmember and possibly shoten the axlebshafts.

For the front I would think the use of a late modle front suspension with the addition of offset upper control arm shaft would do the trick.

However. Being that low every rock on the road would be a potential gas tank, front crossmember, pg pan, oil pan and revese light eliminator.

I had a 67 camaro thatbi slamed into the weeds. So low that the lowest point on the car was lower than the rim (only had 15" wheels back then). My nemisis were manhole covers. Caught a particularly high sitting one once. Thought I had ripped the sway bar off. Found out later I had caught the subframe in front of the oil pan sump and pules the lip back about two inches.

Car looked cool with a great stance, just had to be mindful of manhole covers and potholes and had to replace front tires about every 18 mo. grinning smiley

Marco Padilla - Realtor BRE#01944189

Century 21 Crest
1501 West Magnolia Blvd
Burbank, CA 91506
213-272-3239 Cell

Posted by: kirk ()
Date: September 10, 2011 12:32AM

I think his negative camber reached the point of "downright comical".

1963 Monza
1973 VW Thing
1964 Beetle

Click picture to see more of that car

Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: September 10, 2011 10:52AM

Hydrualics! He is sitting on the ground, not moving....

Marco Padilla - Realtor BRE#01944189

Century 21 Crest
1501 West Magnolia Blvd
Burbank, CA 91506
213-272-3239 Cell

Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: September 10, 2011 11:01AM

Who was it that made a custom new motor mountsto raise the back of the motor up a few inches to sneak the ride height down? LeVeques or Rick Loving I am thinking...

Date: September 10, 2011 02:33PM

Mike L. made them for Rick

Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: September 10, 2011 02:55PM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mike L. made them for Rick

It seemed to work! Hopefully Rick L will chime in with some photos! Seemed like a good way to go to me,,,

Posted by: lgoodwin ()
Date: September 10, 2011 08:14PM

Do what Matt suggested and get shorter tires. Then if you get tired of bottoming out, you can put taller tires on it. You could even have two sets of wheels so you can have BOTH.

I like the lowered look, but it's not very practical. Make sure your wheels have the right back spacing so the tires don't hit the fender lips!
I only cut one coil off the front springs on my 68 500 coupe (the red one below is BEFORE I cut the springs). When I have a large passenger, it drops a lot--and stays that way for awhile after they get out--and the tires scrape the wheel openings (front and back).

1962 Corvair 900 sedan1967 Corvair Monza 140/4-speed1968 Corvair 500 coupe1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0
1962 900 sedan needs a home1967 Monza 140/4-spd1968 500 coupe (now my son's)1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0

Posted by: mwr ()
Date: September 20, 2011 05:26AM

I emailed Mike about the process of raising the engine/trans a couple months back, and he said that there was so much to it beyond just the basic mounts that he didn't really think he could offer it as a kit.

Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: September 20, 2011 11:50AM

Smaller tires are going to throw your speedometer off, raise your Roma on the highway, and if too small, looks redonkulous.

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
[www.dirigocorvairs.com]
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

A mirror is a reflection of the miles travelled.

Posted by: corvairsixtyfour ()
Date: September 20, 2011 06:35PM

yeah i wouldnt like to go under a 60 series tire. i installed kyb gas a just in the front and it rides so smooth with no bottoming out. so im thing of cutting like half a coil more in the front and half in the back, so a total of 2.5 coils cut in the front and 2 coils cut in the rear

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: September 20, 2011 08:19PM

Off-setting the EM rear control arm shafts upward would improve brake shoe-to-drum contact angle (another down side of lowring EM's) but it wont change the camber at all. you have to raise the trans/inboard end of the axle to tilt the wheel back out. I did this on my Greenbriar last year by "sectioning" 1 1/4" out of the PG trans mount bar--not easy because of the shift cable,cooler fittings, and inteference with the subframe. The rear mount is further away from the axles and would require much higher rise to correct the camber and would cause too many other problems.

Posted by: BobJ ()
Date: September 21, 2011 05:46AM

I talked to Mike L and Rick Loving at the Performance Workshop this spring. Rick had his car inside the shop up on stands so we could see what was done to it. I can see where it couldn't be a kit. You should see what he did to raise the front of the driveline. Lot of work to the tranny mounts and front crossmember. When I have a fist full of dollars, I am going to have him do mine. The rear of the engine is raised with a cut/sectioned motor mount plate. Mike does sweet work!

BobJ

Frostbite Falls, MN
CORSA since 72
62 Monza Sedan A/C
63 Spyder Convert
63 500 coupe

Posted by: pencilpushrz ()
Date: October 13, 2011 09:08PM

I have a four door 64 monza... and i plan on goin for the lowrider look, so i odered a set of 13 inch wire rims.. and i was wondering as well what to do as far as lowering it as well.. i do plan on bagging it.. but thats in the future but for now i want it low!!

PENCILPUSHRZ CUSTOM LAUNDRY
LOST TALENT
1964 MONZA 4 DOOR
FACTORY AC
PORT RICHEY, FLORIDA

Date: October 13, 2011 10:04PM

PP... just read the entire topic and it tells you everything...

If you want the rear done..contact Michael LeVeque... Mlevair here.. PM him

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.