Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: New Build: Project "Corsa GTP Convertible" hot smiley (L67, F40, etc.)
Posted by: firevair66 ()
Date: December 15, 2019 04:03PM

I know those wheels will look very nice on that car.

John Shoemaker,Riegelsville,PA.
1958 Impala Sport Cp. 348 ,pg/ac
61 Rampside full custom show truck
65 Monza 110/4 vert driver
65 Full Custom Monza 140 Cp
66 Monza 110/PG Vert
66 Corsa FITCH SPRINT Documented ( in Process,recondition)
66 CorV8 350 "firevair"Custom Show

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: December 15, 2019 05:52PM

Ryan I'm glad you are able to get back to working on this project.
I've truly enjoyed it and seeing it at Kalamazoo in 2013.
Thank you for taking the time to share it.

BTW You might want to check the DOT date codes on your new tires before you take ownership.
I almost got stuck with older tires once.

Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: December 22, 2019 12:40PM

A trip to the local u pull it yard yesterday produced some goodies...Fans, a valve cover, and a master cylinder from a mid 2000s Impala with 4 wheel disk brakes. It bolts right up! A the rod will need to be shortened. Also test fitting the radiator. Will start cutting on that soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2019 12:41PM by VairKing.

Attachments:

Date: December 22, 2019 12:45PM

Built a bracket to hold the Porsche shift cables to the GM transmission. Started with a paper template, laser cut from 11ga mild steel, then formed.

Attachments:

Date: December 22, 2019 12:47PM

To hold the shift cables I turned the insides of some shaft collars to they would have a lip that would fall into the groove on the cable sleeve to locate, then clamp on the OD of the sleeve.

Attachments:

Date: December 22, 2019 12:48PM

Installed, it works really well. There is no detent/lockout for reverse, so I will have to work on that.

Attachments:

Date: December 30, 2019 06:01PM

I fabricated a bracket to hold the Porsche shifter, and welded a 12mm nut to it to accept a Ford Mustang GT shift ball. Also modified the accelerator bell crank to hook up an aftermarket throttle cable.

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 30, 2019 06:28PM

Step by step!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: January 17, 2020 05:06AM

I just about have the cooling system wrapped up. I am going for a minimalist approach, after real world testing on the street if I have overheat issues I can always do something different. The cutouts are under the bumper on the horizontal plane of the car, so it is very hard to tell they are even there when standing in front of it. For now a 69 Camaro air dam will force air up into the radiator. The air dam is held in place with 1/4-20 riv nuts, so it can be easily replaced when it gets smashed on a curb.

Attachments:

Date: January 17, 2020 05:07AM

I made a radiator support out of 1/8" alum angle,bolted to the trunk floor, and the radiator slides right in and fits quite nice.

Attachments:

Date: January 17, 2020 05:09AM

This is the fan shroud, I will see how it works under testing, I may need to add some more cutouts with rubber "valve" flaps to let more air flow when under speed. Fans are from a 2008 Ford Taurus.

Attachments:

Date: January 17, 2020 05:13AM

To make the radiator cover, which will direct hot air out of the trunk through a hole in the floor, I started with cardboard to make sure I liked it before switching over to aluminum sheet.

Attachments:

Date: January 17, 2020 05:17AM

Once satisfied with the cardboard, I laser cut .063" aluminum and TIG welded the sides together. The cooling pipes are also just about complete, but I still need to take them apart and paint the outsides, as they are steel.

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 17, 2020 07:33AM

Slick!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: January 17, 2020 12:12PM

VairKing Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is the fan shroud, I will see how it works under testing, I may need to add some more cutouts with rubber "valve" flaps to let more air flow when under speed. Fans are from a 2008 Ford

Really!!! lol

Wish I would have thought of that. ggg

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2020 12:20PM by OttawaCorvairGuy.

Date: January 19, 2020 03:20PM

I got most of the exhaust system complete this weekend. I had to modify the factory rear header by taking about 3/4" of an inch on length and changed the angle to get the outlet to clear my suspension. The muffler is a Spin Tech brand that the Fiero guys use. When I do the paint and body work I want to make the exhaust pipes exit at the center of the car, but for now, this is much simpler.

Attachments:

Date: January 19, 2020 05:09PM

I like the look of where you have the tail pipes now.
If not for the license plate; one might have thought it is custom exhaust on a Corvair engine...

Date: February 05, 2020 07:15AM

I have been working on the front suspension. Disassembled, media blasted, and painted all parts. Ended up buying 100% new bushings, ball joints, steering ends, etc. Will be assembling this weekend.

Attachments:

Date: February 12, 2020 04:35PM

Looking good keep up the good work. It will be on the road soon.

Re: New Build: Project "Corsa GTP Convertible" (L67, F40, etc.)
Date: March 08, 2020 05:59PM

Some updates, suspension is assembled. I always like to “buy local” in the Corvair community so got a set of DeckRug QS arms from Matt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2020 05:59PM by VairKing.

Attachments:

Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.