Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: New Build: Project "Corsa GTP Convertible" hot smiley (L67, F40, etc.)
Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: July 22, 2012 08:40AM

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 22, 2012 01:15PM

I have a rough plan for the rear suspension, I've been picking everyone's brains. Easiest would have been to just weld the McPhearson struts in but there is a reason they put them in cheap front wheel drive cars. I am not interested in the easiest cheapest way out.

So mine will be a custom multilink suspension system, using coilover shocks. A custom trailing arm will be built using a modern car wheel bearing, and the arm will be longer than stock Corvair in order to get mounting points for the lateral links (upper and lower) to connect to the center of the engine cradle (that's what the 4 holes in the lower cross member are for) The trailing arms have to be longer in order to clear the back of the engine and cradle.

Setting it up properly will be shear rocket science, but the upper link should be shorter than the lower link to maintain proper camber when turning. How much shorter I have not determined. I will probably draw the whole thing in CAD and put it through the motions to try to simulate it before building it.

Re: De Dion
Date: July 22, 2012 07:20PM

I think a well sorted out and adjusted multilink would work better than a De Dion, more adjustable and more importantly, more responsive in the corners. Basically a glorified LM/Corvette style, instead of using the axle for a link my car will use an upper heims joint. Having the links behind the axle will just make the action of the suspension exaggerate a little more, seems like it should work fine though!

Date: July 26, 2012 05:59AM

you are going to keep both cv joints on both ends right. If was to set up a rear suspension I configure it, get a newer nuckle off a fwd car that with fit your wheel bearing for your axle spline .I think I would weld a bushing type mount on the bottom with one long or two but have round stock threaded so now you would have 2 lower arms that are adjustable to the cradle. on the top i would weld on make a bracket to fit were the strut would go and put a ball joint in there and make two more adjustable upper arms or make like the bottom and do more like a bushing set up keep your bars farther apart to help the toe keep from changing under heavy power loads. then just use a adjustable coil over shock off the lower control arm and you have way more room to mount the coil over . i think my springs 500lbs the trailing robs \ only place i have room looses a lot of leverage. stock shock location 500lbs springs would not lift my car. I know there are a million ways to do it I say keep easiest and with all the adjustabilty you could set it the that works in the real world some times planing doesn't always work out at least for me but I don't have cad or anything but 4 adjustable arms could hiem joints would look clean and cool and tons of room

Posted by: metalman ()
Date: July 27, 2012 08:02PM

I'm fascinated that the setup fit without cutting the back seat. This would show promise for a turbo'd cobalt setup. That combo can put out 300 hp and lightweight. I imagine cable shifted, and you could relocate the turbo if you had to. Now if you could get one without selling your firstborne child.

Date: July 29, 2012 12:00PM

L67 engine weighs about 438 lbs
6 speed weighs about 124 lbs
Aluminum cradle weighs 50 lbs

Total weight is 612 lbs + radiator, coolant pipes, and coolant.

Stock Corvair Powertrain is said to weigh about 525 lbs?

So I am 87 lbs overweight right now. I will have to lose this weight somewhere, easily in the seats front and rear.

I will remove the coctail shakers, but I am thinking some steel square tubing running front to rear will be needed to help stiffen the body flex, so it may be a draw. Checking out gpmorphan and UNSAFE's Yenko style fiberglass engine lids I think it would be perfect for my car because the Yenko flaps could provide some extra fresh air to the engine. And they look badass. I will probably lighten up the front trunk lid as well. Weight is the enemy here! I would love this car to end up within a hundred pounds of a stock Corvair convertible.

[corvaircenter.com]

The above thread is a wonderful resource. Even with all the BS...LOL

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: July 29, 2012 04:54PM

Hey Ryan,,Just an observation,,with that engine cradle hanging down like that and further back,,looks like you have lost alot of ground clearance compared to the stock engine placement?,,is it going to bottom out easy??

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Date: July 29, 2012 06:14PM

Ground clearance at the lowest point will be 3.5" This is right near the axle line. The cradle will hit the ground before the oil pan or trans. My V8Vair has about 2" of ground clearance at the lowest part. Never had a problem.

Date: December 15, 2012 05:33AM

I have been working out a few things on paper, trying to figure out how to best configure the rear suspension. I hope to get it back on the hoist this weekend and start fabricating some more! The rear suspension is the next thing I am going to tackle.

New custom made trailing arms, 4 custom adjustable center links, adjustable coilovers, disk brakes and modern wheel bearings all to come...Stay tuned!

Date: December 24, 2012 10:18AM

Lots of head scratching going on this weekend...My buddy's brother designs suspension systems for Chrysler and Ford and he is going to help me design the rear suspension.

I know the basics of what needs to be in place, trailing arms (custom) coilover shocks, and upper and lower control arms. The tricky part is getting the length and placement of the control arms correct.

This stuff makes my head hurt! Beer helps!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2012 10:23AM by VairKing.

Attachments:
Posted by: chanceparker ()
Date: December 24, 2012 03:59PM

Man that cradle looks like it's going hang low. How much ground clearance do you think you'll have again?

Chance Parker
Golden, Colorado
Auminum LS-powered 1965 Corsa Convertible

More Pictures

Date: December 24, 2012 07:31PM

Around 5". The cradle is the lowest part and will protect the motor and transmission.

Posted by: wv-geo ()
Date: December 25, 2012 12:35PM

Better the cradle getting hit than the oil pan.

Dan Stark
Hurricane, WV

1961 Lakewood 500, 80HP, PG
1964 Corvair 500 Coupe, 140HP, 4spd (Christine)
1965 Mustang Coupe, 6cyl, 3spd

Date: January 06, 2013 01:58PM

Update. Rear suspension design continues, although at a slow pace. I have found some online software to help determine the lengths of the unequal control arms. I am still waiting on an engineer friend to come look at the project and guide me in the right direction.

In the meantime I have decided to continue on and start building the trailing arms. 1st is to figure out the brake/wheel hub situation. Yesterday I went to the local u pick it salvage yard and retrieved complete front wheel hubs/brakes off a 2006 Pontiac G6. I chose this because the axles will be the correct spline for the transmission (although they will be the wrong length) I figured its a good place to start.

Today I spent some time cleaning up the new parts, the rotors have to be returned for a refund. The assembly seems heavy at 32 lbs, I am going to try to lighten it somehow.

Attachments:

Date: January 06, 2013 02:04PM

I completely disassembled everything and cleaned it as well as I can. I spent all day online researching new parts, and purchased new wheel bearing/hubs and new cross drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads. I found some new calipers that appear to be a different design than the stock clunky heavy caliper, so I ordered them. Hopefully they will be lighter than the stock caliper, but hard to tell from a small internet description.

Attachments:

Date: January 06, 2013 02:06PM

I will bring the aluminum hubs to work with me tomorrow and machine all the ball joint and strut mounting stuff off. Then I will deck the entire back of the casting down to create a mounting flange. I will use the 3 screw holes that hold the wheel bearing in place to mount the hub to the trailing arm.

Attachments:

Date: January 06, 2013 02:08PM

Once the new wheel bearing hub and new rotors get here, I will pop them into the CNC machine and redrill them both for 5 x 4 3/4" bolt spacing and 7/16-20 wheel studs. The front suspension will use an S10 2" drop spindle which already has the correct Corvair bolt pattern smileys with beer

Posted by: Hot Wheels Vair ()
Date: January 06, 2013 02:17PM

What will you be doing about a parking brake? Always a problem with using frt wheel drive parts. Many of the new gm wheel bearings use open bearings for all 4 bearings. To work with all wheel drive, that way you would gain a park brake. I know you already bought what you have, just saying. Aztec or the Buicks would possibly work.

Date: January 06, 2013 02:33PM

I will use a hydraulic parking brake lock. I realize it provides no mechanical emergency brake, but by using all brand new high performance parts its a risk I am willing to take. I have never had a complete brake failure on a modern vehicle (knock on wood of course)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2013 03:01PM by VairKing.

Date: January 18, 2013 12:33PM

Ive been busy trying to squeeze some government machining into my insanely busy workday. First order of business was to take the brand new wheel bearing hub assemblies and press out the metric studs.

Attachments:

Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.