Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Missing
Posted by: 4 carbs ()
Date: September 02, 2011 08:23AM

Coming home from the country club where my son (friedfish80) is getting married, my '65 Monze started to miss. After driving about 15 mi. I figured that since I didn't here any noise that it was ok to get on home. This morning I found out what happened. The spark plug wire and boot came off. Is this unique?

John Booth
Roselle, IL.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Missing
Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: September 02, 2011 08:26AM

It's happened to me before. Just reconnected firmly and everything's been fine since.

Kevin
Medina, OH

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 02, 2011 08:26AM

Nope... happens occasionally...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: September 02, 2011 08:35AM

Tighten up the connector that snaps onto the plug.

Bad thing would be if the entire car were missing....

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CCF admin ~
CORSA +Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: September 02, 2011 08:51AM

Sometimes when one pulls a plugwire, the end of the wire "that snaps onto the sparkplug" can pull up into the larger boot seal that fits into the fan shroud. When the plugwire is returned, there can be minimal contact with the sparkplug and cause a mis-fire. The only thing holding the plug wire in place is the boot seal. If both the plugwire metal end and boot seal are seated properly, there should be no problem of a plugwire coming off.
As for the boot coming dislodged or off completly. There are some boots seals that are little more than a flap on the spark plug wire. Used to see them more often than today. Some would push the flap udner the fan shroud to let the air pressure from the fan help seal them for cooling. I never used the things.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: September 02, 2011 01:15PM

Long ago, while examining a similar problem with a Coyote Corvair Club member's car, I decided to check all six plugs and wires. Well, to my amazement, each plug wire was broken at clip end on every spark plug and shoved back on to hide the screw up. Obviously, someone before me did a crappy tune-up job and didn't let the Corvair owner know how he screwed up.

Posted by: Paul Iiames ()
Date: September 02, 2011 05:20PM

When I first got my 64, the plug wire would do the same thing, it turned out the the PO had put the wire over part of the carb linkage and once I got the car up to speed, the linkage would pull the wire off the plug.
I changed out the wires and had no more trouble.

Always on Vacation
in Lexington, Texas
(an hour east of Austin,Tx)
1964 monza convertible
Azure Aqua Metallic
Lonestarcorvairs.com
<table style="width:194px;"><tr><td align="center" style="height:194px;background:url(https://picasaweb.google.com/s/c/transparent_album_background.gif) no-repeat left"><a href="[picasaweb.google.com] src="[lh3.googleusercontent.com]; width="160" height="160" style="margin:1px 0 0 4px;"></a></td></tr><tr><td style="text-align:center;font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:11px"><a href="[picasaweb.google.com]; style="color:#4D4D4D;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:none;">new weels</a></td></tr></table>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.