Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
relocating fuel filler neck inboard to trunk... questions!
Posted by: Boosted60 ()
Date: August 30, 2011 10:55PM

i decided to shave the gas door off my fender and relocate the filler neck inboard to the fender well inside the trunk...

now this raises a couple questions as to how i need to reconfigure a couple things...

i know that i cant use the stock vent system going up to the neck inlet since it will leak gas fumes into my trunk/cabin..

so my question is, will i run into any issues putting a filter on the breather outlet port on the tank(vent to atmosphere), while welding in a sealed gas cap inboard on the fender well..

any other approach will be appreciated.

-Shant

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: relocating fuel filler neck inboard to trunk... questions!
Posted by: acardon ()
Date: August 30, 2011 11:29PM

You could do something trick, like put it behind a swing out headlight bucket like my 57 has the filler above the taillight behind the vertical stainless.
How does VW handle their tank vent?

The Trunk Belongs in Front, Ask Any Elephant
Caution: Images in This Mirror May be Waterpumpers
Don
NTCA....DFW,TEXAS
66 Monza 1 owner

Date: August 30, 2011 11:37PM

the only thing i could think of like that would be a flip down front insignia, but i dont know if i am ready to tackle a fabrication job like that...

lol im already having a hell of a time shaving the drip rails...

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: August 30, 2011 11:47PM

Run a vent hose up to anywhere you can reach under the car where it is shielded from splashes and put a P567392 moisture and dust filter on the end of it (upright). Will keep out moisture to 15% and dirt to 3 microns (1/15th of what is visible)

I put these on a lot of trucks to save dirt accumulation in the tanks and fuel filters.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Attachments:
Date: August 30, 2011 11:54PM

thanks for the input richard....
you know i would not have thought about the moisture filtration, but for 5 bucks more than a flaps dust filter its definitely worth the investment...

do these need to be serviced, or have a life expectancy?
so far they seem to be the best option...

are there any manufacturers that make a sealed gas cap for corvair?

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 31, 2011 12:08AM

Boosted60 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> are there any manufacturers that make a sealed gas
> cap for corvair?
==========================================

Sadly there are several!! people mistakenly buy them all the time!!! LOL!!

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Posted by: NICKG ()
Date: August 31, 2011 12:17AM

We had someone in our local club let a body shop talk him into doing that with his vair and he never drives the car...it just sits with a new paint job....hmmm!

Date: August 31, 2011 12:20AM

The life is basically determined by filling with dirt. The moisture absorption on these is self-restoring since the gas going out dries the media, allowing to absorb again on the way in. The life therefore will depend on how much dust gets to it.

I imagine in a car on paved roads those will last a few years. I have bigger ones for the 5000 gallon tanks.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair

Date: August 31, 2011 12:52AM

i was thinking somewhere along these lines...

[www.speedwaymotors.com]

or even modify this to work...

[www.summitracing.com]

these just seem like kind of expensive options, when i can just cut my stock fuel neck to fit, if i could find a sealed cap for it...

matt could you direct me towards where i can get one?
i searched on google and couldnt come up with much...

nickg, i dont get why he wouldnt drive it if everything was mechanically sound...
i only drive 20 miles round trip to school and work... with an 11 gallon tank, i may have to fill it up once a week...the only thing i can think of is splashing gas on your fender, but i dont see it being any different than it being mounted outside... if your referring to fumes, i feel like they may be carried away from beneath the car behind me as i drive rather than in my face from the pass. fender... i dunno, i just have a dust filter on my camaro tank and ive never smelt any fumes from it...

richard... thanks for the advice...do you think i should route it up into the fender well or back into the cubby where the original filler neck was mounted??
i just mocked up the tank earlier and there isnt much room ... those are the best two places i saw...

this ones not bad either...

[www.streetrodhq.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2011 12:58AM by Boosted60.

Re: Non- vented gas caps
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 31, 2011 01:14AM

You'll need to most likely take your cap with you... and most likely late 70's GM products..

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Date: August 31, 2011 01:18AM

ill look into that...thanks buddy

Posted by: acardon ()
Date: August 31, 2011 01:40AM

Solder up the hole in the stock cap.

The Trunk Belongs in Front, Ask Any Elephant
Caution: Images in This Mirror May be Waterpumpers
Don
NTCA....DFW,TEXAS
66 Monza 1 owner

Date: August 31, 2011 10:49AM

I'd just find a place where it is servicable and doesn't get spashed. Maybe not where the original tube is since it won't vent out from there as well.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair

Posted by: Mark M ()
Date: August 31, 2011 01:00PM

Locate it in the door jamb? Weather seals would keep the fumes from getting into the car, and it could vent out the space between the front of the door and rear fof the fender? Might have to "french" it into the jamb?

Mark M
Project: 64 Spyder Vert running 80 hp heads and carbs
1st Vair: 65 Corsa 140
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

"If it's not broken, you're not driving it hard enough"

Posted by: 52bagman ()
Date: August 31, 2011 01:24PM

If you still have the box where the filler neck was, run up to there and doe something on the lines of a rubber brake line clip to hold it in place. This way it will be away from the trunk and can be acsessed through the fender.

Sam C. Saunders,Pt. Pleasant WV
68 500 cp 95 pg ash gold
66 Monza cp 110 4spd black
68 500 cp 95 3spd blue "DAIRY QUEEN CAR"

1 link2 linkPhotobucket

Posted by: Am-Iron ()
Date: August 31, 2011 01:30PM

I am planning to do the same thing. I will probably mount mine high and behind the fuel filler box that is on the driver side fender. Possibly in the box and cut a hole at the rear? I have asked this question before, it seems the race car builders would have the answer.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: August 31, 2011 10:27PM

Have seen this done. Buttt there is one thing to keep in mind. If the vented cap is used, the fuel vapors will build up in the trunk. One guy I remember had this "really" smelly problem. His wife was not happy when they arrived at the Corvair Convention!
A good solution I have seen was to use a sealed gas cap and run the filler neck "vent fose" elswhere.... even into the origional filler pocket. A simple filter can be affixed to the vent hose.
All in all... it makes a clean looking fender..... even if one has to fuel it up like an old VW!

Corventure Dave

Posted by: cfmann ()
Date: September 01, 2011 01:34AM

Ackgg! Just make your 'vair all electric.... lol

But seriously, how about making the cowl between the hood and windshield smaller in width and make each end solid and hinge it. Put the vent and cap pocket underneath it. Only thing that could be troublesome are the wiper arm mechanism?? Never really looked to closely in that area but it could work somehow?

Chris

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2011 01:35AM by cfmann.

Date: September 01, 2011 07:33PM

definitely some good ideas being thrown out in this thread...

i do like the door jam idea, as well as the cowl panel...

the only thing about the cowl panel is it drops down into the fender and the openings for the fresh air vents in my kick panels are in there, so it might fume the cabin...

after looking up in the fender well for a while, i think i am going to mount the filter inside the original filler neck cubby, remove a small square section of the metal, and modify one of the louvered "pill shaped" fender access panels to bolt over the access hole..i think this way the vents in the access panel will be enough to properly vent any fuel vapor and give enough protection in case i ever drive through a puddle...

i live in los angeles county ~800 feet above sea level... it hardly ever rains out here... this car will be a daily driver, but its also never going to see the rain anyways.... so im not too concerned about the splashes...
if i do get caught in the rain somehow, i think ill be more concerned about keeping the car straight on the highway rather than splashing my gas vent filter... LOL!!!

Date: September 01, 2011 07:41PM

another question!!!

looks like i will be using the stock filler neck and modifying it to fit into the inboard fender well.. this will require removing the vent tube from the filler neck assy. and welding the hole close...

i will also have to cut the neck to shorten and reweld a tighter radius turn into it...

i could avoid the second step by running gas hose entirely from the tank to the filler neck. but with todays fuels i feel like that may lead to trouble sooner than later... id like to do something more permanent...

now my question issss....

what do i have to do to the inside of the filler neck metal after it is welded and grinded down in order to protect it from the atmosphere?
the outside i can just primer and paint...
but is there any sort of applicable corrosion protection that can withstand gas?

-Shant

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.