Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Loud Knock?
Posted by: stephenjones20 ()
Date: August 30, 2011 07:15PM

So I just did a compression check and 5 of them were 125-140 and the #1 cylinder was 0! I'm hoping this means I've found my problem. On top of that I decided to check out the other motor I got and it's seized, so I guess I'm fixing this one now.
From what's been said I need to get a new or used piston, ring, jug, connecting rod, and bearing. Also new head gaskets and valve cover gasket. Is there anything I'm forgetting? I've never dug into one of these motors,so can anyone give me an idea on what kind of time I'm looking at on average to do this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 30, 2011 07:37PM

1 use the same bearing if it's not knocking.

2 only buy a cylinder / piston and rod ASSY [ used ] from someone

3 YOU MAY ONLY HAVE A DROPPED VALVE SEAT.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: August 30, 2011 07:43PM

Would a dropped valve set cause a knock and 0 compression? I really appreciate all the help and advice, thanks to everybody who has chimed in.

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: August 30, 2011 07:49PM

stephenjones20 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would a dropped valve set cause a knock and 0
> compression? I really appreciate all the help and
> advice, thanks to everybody who has chimed in.

I will make a Hella alot a noise,,pull the plug and look down the hole,,move the crank till you can see the piston and look for dents,,but either way with zero compression and a knock it needs to come apart.

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Date: August 30, 2011 11:29PM

I guess I'll try to pull the head tomorrow and see what I find.

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: August 31, 2011 07:54AM

As I said in your other thread I believe you will find the cause of the knocking noise when you remove the head. I am guessing that an intake seat ring as loosened and then came into contact with the piston which results in breaking of the seat ring. Hope I am wrong.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

What are these adapters?
Date: August 29, 2011 12:49AM

I have a fibertech dune buggy with a 1962 corvair setup (just swapped in a 140 motor but it blew the first trip out, it had been sitting for 10-15 yrs before I bought it from the guy). I'm trying to see what my alternatives might be instead of putting the old 80hp motor back in and came across this adapter for sale. I'm not really sure who makes it or what else would be needed. If anyone knows anything about it, or has other suggestions, I would appreciate the help. Here's the link to what this guy's selling
[:RTQ:MOTORS:1123" rel="nofollow">cgi.ebay.com]

My main questions are whether this is an adapter for a midengine, or to keep the transaxle in place and have it rear engine? and What, if anything, is missing from this? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Re: What are these adapters?
Date: August 29, 2011 12:58AM

I DOUBT they are what is advertised... don't bid...

Anyone familiar with what it takes.... can vouch...

Mel most likely will chime in... he's put a 327 in the rear of an early..and now is finishing up a 409 1960 rear hanger..

...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: August 29, 2011 01:07AM

I e-mailed the guy selling them and he said he has checked the adapter on the 327 and on a corvair and it will both to either? Here was his reply when I asked if he knew who makes them "NO.I do not know.I got it with a Corvair engine,and 327 chevy motor and parts.I tested fitted it,and looks Good.You use the corvair starter.Sorry i can not help you more." He later sent this ".I test fitted on a corvair engine and a 327 chevy.And it's right.as far as that goes.Clutch? Flywheel? i do not know."

So apparently he doesn't really know much about it either, any help is appreciated.

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: August 29, 2011 06:09AM

Just saw this thread this morning.....The bellhousing adapter might be of use for a rear engine swap, (but it looks a little too thick to mesad smiley) the balancer and the yoke part would be useless in my bookthumbs down

Posted by: Tom Z ()
Date: August 29, 2011 07:33AM

..you'd also need to reverse-rotate the SBC,and probably use a longer pilot bushing in the crank (Speedway lists them,IIRC)..or put reverse-cut ring/pinion gears in the diff and run it like the Kelmark,sort of,with the diff in the middle..hhmmm,does the adapter bolt up to the Corvair diff 'upside-down"??

Tom Z,,Rochester NY

Date: August 29, 2011 11:50AM

So if I bought this then what else would I need to reverse the rotation of the sbc and make this work? My in-laws have an auto shop so I have full access to their tools and know how- but they've never worked on a corvair before so I'm trying to get as much info as possible.
Also, are there any other option to do a motor swap and keep the transaxle where it is?

Posted by: Ed Dowds ()
Date: August 29, 2011 03:45PM

The link doesn't show an adapter.

Ed
Hamilton, NJ
66 500 rear 4.3 V6 Corvair
69 350/350 TH Camaro was RS
30 Model A Ford Streetrod 350/400 TH
88 Celebrity Wagon (Daily Driver)

Posted by: Chilly Willy ()
Date: August 29, 2011 03:56PM

Ed Dowds Wrote:
> The link doesn't show an adapter.

looks like it sold...

Date: August 29, 2011 04:47PM

It's now for an $80 Vette carpet!!

Date: August 29, 2011 06:33PM

Well I guess it's gone. Does anyone know where I can get anadapter for a rear engine sbc? I've checked with Clarke's and everything they used to have shows as discontinued.

Posted by: Ed Dowds ()
Date: August 29, 2011 06:38PM

These come up on ebay reqularly. Just keep looking.

There are a few kinds: MID, Kennedy Engineering and Kelmark, maybe more.

Ed
Hamilton, NJ
66 500 rear 4.3 V6 Corvair
69 350/350 TH Camaro was RS
30 Model A Ford Streetrod 350/400 TH
88 Celebrity Wagon (Daily Driver)

Date: August 29, 2011 09:07PM

stephenjones20 Wrote:
> Well I guess it's gone. Does anyone know where I
> can get anadapter for a rear engine sbc?

Steve replies: Don't you think a SBC might be a bit heavy for hanging out the rear of an 80" wheel base car? I have 140# added into my front nerf bar on my manx clone to help offset the turbo Corvair hanging off my VW transaxle. In addition I have softened the torsion bar leaves in the VW front.

You might also consider the amount of work that is needed to use watercooled power. A radiator somehow just doesn't lend itself to the lines of a manx clone buggy but that is only my opinion, good luck if you decide to try it.

Why don't you just rebuild a Corvair engine, you will have good reliable power for many years.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2011 09:09PM by steve c goodman.

Date: August 29, 2011 11:29PM

The prices I've found for a rebuild kit seem to be around $1200 just for parts and around $500+ for machine work (depending on what needs to be done) and that's a lot more then I would like to spend on this since the value of these buggies in good shape seems to only be $2500- $3500 unless it's really done up and I'm using this as a "learner" buggy at the dunes and a fun around town driver. If there is no need to replace certain parts then the rebuild becomes more of a possibility, if not then the 80hp will go back in for now.

Date: August 30, 2011 08:09AM

Hello Stephen: No flame intended here and please don't take my comments the wrong way but don't you think you would spend much more than $1700 by the time you put a SBC into the buggy and engineered a complete cooling system with all of the pipes/shrouds/fans/worked on both ends of the suspension and much more? If you do an engine this winter that you know is good then you can concentrate on having fun driving it next year.

NOTE: please consider that the above is my opinion only

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.