Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
need a good set of used exhaust manifolds. or can I repair mine.?
Posted by: Carston Becker ()
Date: August 28, 2011 09:48AM

Still working on fuel and oil issues.

The other day I tried to tighten up the bolts and studs for the exhaust donuts. Well I broke one of the studs off and broke the ear off left side lower one. Can I repair these by drilling and re-tapping the broken stud the for one side and welding the broken ear up, or should I just place them. Does anyone have a some used ones? 1963 Monza 900 4door.

thanks,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: need a good set of used exhaust manifolds. or can I repair mine.?
Posted by: roger65180 ()
Date: August 28, 2011 12:35PM

They can be repaired, drill and re tap for the broken stud. If you have a welding repair shop near you take it to them, welding cast iron takes nicole welding rod pre heating the part and some practice.it's worth a try they are getting hard to find I just fixed a pair for my 62 worked just fine.
Roger

Roger R
Madison Wi
62 ct pg turbo
65intercooled 180 4sp,autocrosser
62 Rampy

Posted by: Johnniespeed ()
Date: August 28, 2011 02:26PM

Condsidering the vast amount of manifolds left, it hardly seems worth the effort to weld them.
PM me if you cant find a pair locally.

John

1962 Rampside, 4.3 Vortec powered.
The thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Sparta Michigan.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: August 28, 2011 10:08PM

Nobody believes me, but when I have a broken ear, I weld a stainless steel stud to the cast iron manifold with my MIG welder (GMAW for purists). No pre heating, just let 'er rip and get it hot. Only had one fail, and that was hitting a curb hard with the left muffler on a 110 dual system with big oval mufflers.

See, no one told me it couldn't be done..... Until after I did it many times.

I also never waste time trying "easy outs" or other methods to remove frozen studs. I just cut them off flush with the ear, drill a new hole and tap the new hole. Much quicker, since you will be drilling and taping anyway...

Frank DuVal

Posted by: mrtrimmier ()
Date: August 28, 2011 10:32PM

If you need to roll today get a muffler clamp and 2 eye bolts then assemble those 90 degrees from the studs w the clamp around the neck of the manifold and/or leave the shroud off... yawning smiley)

Regards,
Mike T
Lady's Island S.C.

Black '65 CORSA "parts" car ("RatVair") '65 CORSA Weber/180 ("Whitey") '60 500 Sedan ("Smurf Surf Sedan")

Posted by: Tom Z ()
Date: August 29, 2011 05:59AM

..I've taken logs w/ ears busted 1/2-off (or deliberately done that..),and welded threaded rod to the manifold w/ cast iron stick rod..they make MIG wire for cast iron,but it's expensive,,common solid or flux-core mild steel MIg wire doesn't usually weld cast iron very well

Tom Z,,Rochester NY

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: August 29, 2011 07:42AM

The only exhaust maniforlds or logs that I have are 140's and even harder to find TURBO's! In fact all my non 140 logs are Turbos! Especially the really rare 1960 ones with the vertical studs! Turbo parts are worth a quite a bit more money... right? Ya... there all TURBO's.... fer sure!

AT the Palm Springs Great Western Fanbelt Toss and Swap Meet in Palm Springs.. October.. there are dozens of the standard exhaust manifolds available, sonetimes for a buck or two each. Buttt they are not all TURBO's like mine! Har Har Har

Corventure Dave

Posted by: gmorphan ()
Date: August 29, 2011 09:07AM

I've been pretty successful welding cast iron using high-nickel alloy rod and an arc welder. Still looks solid years later.

Posted by: Carston Becker ()
Date: September 01, 2011 08:08PM

Well i Jut think I'll try to weld it with arc welder and some nickle rod and see how that works. right now it 's my daily so just need to fix it so it doesn't fall apart. I am not a purist as my car is a lowly 4 door, But we've been together for a long time.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 01, 2011 09:04PM

Sedans are very popular here! And in CORSA

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: zarfnober ()
Date: September 01, 2011 09:09PM

I welded some using acetylene and brazing rod. Good thing I have no clue what I'm doing.

As for turbos, I'd weld 2 together to increase volume, cut top off one and bottom off other and use a larger mandrel bend tube with a slip jointed flex pipe tying the 2 sides together. You can get the flex pipe at Advance Auto Parts. Go ahead, call me crazy.

Rocco

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: September 01, 2011 09:13PM

Clearly the easy out (pun intended) is to just get another manifold. What you need is by a very wide margin, the most common. If it's not a 140, a '60, or SMOG, it's what you have - probably 90% of the production. Note that there's a short and a long side though.

Brazing is also a very common way to repair a manifold. Very strong (nearly same PSI strength as a good weld) and 100% compatible metallurgically.

Having said that, I still recommend just getting another manifold.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Canadian Monza 4dr 110/PG 40k
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.