> Yes they were varied, but a Corvair was never a
> pace car. Now if someone had a 1969 Camaro Z28 and
> cloned it as a pace car replica....that's
> understandable.
>
>
>
> smiling smileythumbs up
A corvair was never a pace car and Rick Norris has his tribute car painted and badged like a transam car, please explain the difference.

Tom Miller
Circle City Corvairs
Corsa

Re: 1969 Corvair Indy pace car project
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 28, 2011 09:27AM

LET's REMEMBER

1 It's NOT Paul's car!

2 The actual owner is NOT on here....?????

You folks are talking to a WALL imo.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: cooterr ()
Date: August 28, 2011 09:53AM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> LET's REMEMBER
>
> 1 It's NOT Paul's car!
>
> 2 The actual owner is NOT on here....?????
>
>
> You folks are talking to a WALL imo.

That hasn't stopped us before....................ggg

Tom Miller
Circle City Corvairs
Corsa

Posted by: Paul Kehler ()
Date: August 28, 2011 10:08AM

We are going to make this car go real fast.....maybe we'll paint it blue and make it a Jimmy Johnson Tribute car....big "Lowes" on the side !!!! And wins most of the time......or lime green for Danica..she's all NASCAR now. I want to be on her crew!! Go Daddy !!!!!

Posted by: irvan ()
Date: August 28, 2011 10:11AM

I really like dead stock original cars, everybody likes different stuff, somebody liked a Corvair well enough to buy one, good for them.

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: August 28, 2011 10:15AM

We saw the Wienermobile on the "looks like" thread.

Paint it like that...guaranteed laughs.

I'll check for a Wienermobile landspeed category.

Attachments:
Posted by: Paul Kehler ()
Date: August 28, 2011 10:24AM

Looks fast just sitting still !!!

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: August 28, 2011 10:40AM

There has been 10 Wienermobiles...kinda interesting.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: 68pacecar ()
Date: January 30, 2013 08:53PM

I was once the owner of that pace car. You can read about the car in Vintage Corsa [www.vintagecorsa.com]

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 30, 2013 09:22PM

Welcome to the CCF.... start a new Topic and intro yourself!

Did you build it? or just buy it already done?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: January 31, 2013 09:18AM

So... it is a 68 but painted with 69 pace car details... I guess it's cool that it has 68 front side marker lights.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Date: May 02, 2022 12:25AM

I know this reply is about 10 years too late and this thread is long dead.... but I am the one of the guys who contributed to building this particular car.

It has been over a decade since I last saw the car so my memory of names is a bit hazy.
The body and chassis was done by Wright Racing in Garden Grove CA by the man Tom Wright Sr himself.
There supposedly was a very hi-perf engine was built maybe by Wright and Greg Peterson of Corvair Specialties... however I believe engine got swapped out.
The interior was done by Gabes of TV hot rod fame. I believe Gabe Lopez himself performed the work. Nice custom door panels with corvair triangle silhouette embossed. Very cool... and professional. I'm not sure if Gage did the seats.. but I recall they were Porsche 928 buckets.
Boydd (this was before Coddington)kicked in with the 16" aluminum star wheels. Keep in mind when this car was built 16s were just coming on the scene and I recall there was some difficulty acquiring the desired tires in 16". I think Boyd's also supplied the batwing aluminum steering wheel.

The graphics... that was me. I am an artist, mechanic, classic car enthusiast, and at the time the var came to me.. I was ..hmmm. Maybe driving for Bill Stroppe Motorsports in Long Beach. I say that because it was around that time I was on a quest to discover, find, and hopefully buy a super super rare 1972 Mercury Cyclone MX coupe. What? A Cyclone Coupe? Cyclone GT of the early 1970s were fastbacks... Indeed they were, but guess what I stumbled across at work? Google Bill Stroppevif you are not familiar with the name. Bil was one of Ford / Mercury go to guy. His son I believe may still contract with Ford.

So what does this all have to do with the pace car? Well... the quest for that 1 Cycline MX fead ended. The car indeed was built and its documented. What the car looked like no one seemed to recall... tho there was some speculation over a few beers. We figured the car fate most likely was the crusher.. however it is possible that gem is out there somewhere, however if it is... 99.99% the owner has no idea how rare and what a treasure they are sitting on... tho I doubt the car survives.
Anyway... after the exhausting search I decided.. what the heck... I am going to create or attempt to recreate the car. Which I did. I incorporated period correct Ford striping and spent some time studying factory graphic packages of the period. IMHO the guys at MOPAR were top of the game (we used to give their drivers friendly competibe @#$#! when we'd pass them on test runs). Ford waspretty farm conservative with graphics even on the wedge nose ...dang cant recall the name of the car built to compete against the Superbirds and Daytonas...its on the tip of my tongue but it's late and I'm getting old.
Anyway... The graphic I designed of the MX Cyclone were a hit. Like the Superbirds use of Road Runner Charactor I incorporated Warner Bros Tazmanian Devil cartoon character whirling around with a cyclone twister. This was applied on the rear quarter. I'll see if I can find pics. Like I said the car was a hit and eventually was purchased by a famous musician.
Fast forward.. This totally cool 1968 corvair lands in my hands as a blank canvas. Make it unique, cool, and an attention grabber. Out of several designs what is on the car in the photos is not the final product. The Indy wings on the rear quarter were temporary. A vector die cut decal was in the works...
The reason and the thinking behind the Pace Car is this: The Corvair is the Camaros older brother. The Corvair was a fast car (the turbo spiders were) and a competitive race car. Yet the Corvair never got the recognition many felt was due. I did some digging and found a tidy bit of hear say about a Corvair pace car idea that was quickly quashed by GM.

Intrigued, and undeniable are the similarities between LM body lines and Gen 1 Camaro... I figured... Why not make that Pace Car!? And so I did.
Took the car to a few shows and the reactions were outstanding.. except for the purist guys who after extensively searching Google were pretty upset with panty wads that there was no such car. We really got a laugh at how but##hurt some people got over a cars graphic... which were pretty darn convincing... enough so that even some car guys were fooled!
Anyway.. I guy I knew was involved with a Corvair Club magazine/newsletter and we thought including a story that told a fictitious tale of a long lost prototype Corvair pace car being discovered... and publish the story in the April (fools) edition of the magazine would be a great way to present the car.
For the story I basically retold the story of the Cyclonee MX quest but plugged in GM and Corvair. What made the story perfect were the photos of the car parked in a backyard full of project cars and partially obscured a disassembled WWII hellcat fighter plane! Good fun. Anyway so now you know the back story on the car... doesn't matter as the car is no longer the infamous Corvair Pace car as it has been changed from it's original design.
I still get a chuckle from the haters... who say "its not stock." so what? It's like whining about a George Bartis car not being stock correct. He'd laugh at ya too.
If you want a factory "correct car" good luck. You running the same oil that came in the engine the day a car left the showroom? if not.. it ain't factory correct. Same goes for paint.. I dont care who repainted a car.. if it is repainted the car is not the way it came from the factory. It may look like it ... but it's not. Same for the Pace Car. Like it or not I dont care... was good memories for me and just so happens tonight...10 to 15 years later.. maybe 20.. idk.. I'm old... I was curious and was wondering what ever became of that infamous car. I searched.. and here we are.
Thanks for letting me share the memories.. sorry for any smelling errors. I'm old and dont bother poof reading.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: May 02, 2022 10:42AM

Even though a littleeye rolling smiley late, thanks for the follow-up.
I personally think the Pace Car graphics are a great gag. thumbs up
If you can't have FUN with your car, what's the point in owning it??? confused smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Date: May 02, 2022 01:25PM

Although late again, I just remembered a few things I could not recall last night.

The article about the Pace Car was thanks to Dave Thompson. Dave's an awesome guy, a good wrench, and was one of the guys that used to hang out with a group of hardcore Corvair guys here in Long Beach and Orange County. I have lost touch with him but I'm sure he would know where a copy of the newsletter can be found that has the pace car article. It's a fun read and was a pretty clever April Fools story.

Also Greg Peterson was on the list of the 68s former owners. If you dont know Greg and Corvair Specialties... Greg has corvair running through his blood. A great guy , fun to hang out with, and KNOWS Corvairs. His work is impressive. In fact if you ever get a chance to look at Jay Lenos Yenko Stinger you will see a die cut Corvair Specialties sticker on the wind wing window.
I think the Pace Car had one too... and aan ultra rare Wright Racing decal under the deck lid.
Oh and that Ford car I couldn't remember. The King Cobra and Super Cyclone Spoiler II. Had a brain fart. haha

Posted by: MtnVairMike ()
Date: May 02, 2022 01:32PM

Yep, neat but it's a 68 unless the tags say otherwise.

Mike

1966 Monza Convertible, 140HP-4 speed, Ermine White

Black Mountain,NC

Others in the menagerie...
72 Corvette Stingray, 58K miles, owned since 87
72 MGB, 112K miles, bought from original owner in 09
78 Chevy pickup, 124K miles, bought new in 78
93 Corvette, LT1/6spd, 210K miles, daily driver since 96
02, Chevy Z71, 4x4, 93K miles, my Dad's truck, inherited 2021

Date: May 02, 2022 04:00PM

Yes.
He states that in the thread.
Just the graphics say 1969

WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: 63ConDan ()
Date: May 02, 2022 04:17PM

So anyone happen to know where this 1968 dressed like a 1969 Indy pace car resides nowadays? It sounds and looks like a fun driver.

Dan Central MN
1968 Convert

Date: May 02, 2022 05:34PM

63ConDan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So anyone happen to know where this 1968 dressed like a 1969 Indy pace car resides nowadays? It sounds and looks like a fun driver.

Six posts up he states, "Anyway so now you know the back story on the car... doesn't matter as the car is no longer the infamous Corvair Pace car as it has been changed from it's original design."

Posted by: Armen ()
Date: May 07, 2022 12:42PM

Sheesh, what a grumpy crowd. Enjoy the car! Don't let those lacking in imagination take away your enjoyment of it.

Posted by: Armen ()
Date: May 07, 2022 01:02PM

Well, I probably should have read page 2 or noticed the age of the original posts before I replied!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.