Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Just venting...Bellhousing leak.
Posted by: Aaron65 ()
Date: August 22, 2011 01:51PM

Argh! I redid the trans and differential, put a new clutch in, and buttoned everything up last winter, and my bellhousing leak is back. It's definitely oil, but it leaves a quarter and a dime every time I stop. I used loctite on the bellhousing bolts and the flywheel bolts. I used a new crank seal, and the crank surface looked fine. I'm a little frustrated right now with this thing. Just venting...I know oil leaks are a problem for at least a few Corvair owners..grinning smileyangry smiley

1965 Corvair Monza Convertible 95 4-sp.
1965 Buick Skylark
1965 Ford Mustang
1965 Dodge Dart 170 Wagon
1953 Buick Special Riviera
1963 Ford Thunderbird
1974 Pontiac Firebird Esprit

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Just venting...Bellhousing leak.
Posted by: Jack Daniel ()
Date: August 22, 2011 02:41PM

I am going through the exact same thing. New gasket, new seal, sealant on the bolts, TWICE! It still leaks! I am just dealing with it because i don't have the energy to take the powerpack out again in 100 plus degree heat.

Jack

Lavon, TX
'65 140/4spd monza coupe

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: August 22, 2011 02:46PM

Did both of you change the input shaft seal and retainer in the transaxel as well when you did the clutch?

Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: August 22, 2011 02:48PM

What abou the joint where the crank gear mates wtih crank? There is a paper gasket that sits behind the crank gear, between the gear and the crank.

It could be the gear surface also.

For the "seam" where the crank gear slides onto the crank, clean it good with brake clean, laqure thinner and seal with silcone.

Marco
A 62 Monza Wagon, a 63 GB 8door, a 62 R/s and a 65 Corsa Turbo coupe..

Hanging out with the scorpions, king snakes, road runners, coyotes and quails In the southern desert of the silver state
Mesquite NV 89024

Date: August 22, 2011 03:13PM

I never had the crank gear off, but I did replace the snout and input shaft seal...I may end up just dealing with it. Adding a quart of oil or 2 a summer is cheaper and easier than chasing it all over. We'll see.

1965 Buick Skylark
1965 Ford Mustang
1963 Ford Thunderbird

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: August 22, 2011 03:49PM

You will know if its gear oil from the standard Trans or Dif. oil.. just by the smell!!!!

I polish the crankshaft at the oil seal with WD40 and 400 grit or finer wetted sandpaper. The seal used will also be a leak problem.
The new Clark Viton seals seem to work great. CR brand seals have leaked far more for me than National seals. The CR, "Chicago Rawhide" seals are identified by having the solid metal outer ring that seats in the bellhousing bore. The old National and Clarks viton and NOS seals have a metal ring with tabs.
Some of the "off shore" branded seals can have an inner spring, that backs up the seal body, easily fall out. Junk is junk!

Corventure Dave

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 22, 2011 04:11PM

Did you guys use THREAD sealer on the Flywheel Bolts??

Oil will be on the back of the flywheel..but not on the bellhousing if they are leaking.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2011 05:06PM by MattNall.

Date: August 22, 2011 04:53PM

Unfortunately, no thread sealer, just Loctite. I used a Clark's bellhousing/crank seal and cleaned up the surface of the crank. I'm sure the Loctite alone wasn't enough...kind of a bummer.

1965 Buick Skylark
1965 Ford Mustang
1963 Ford Thunderbird

Date: August 22, 2011 05:07PM

I'm talking about the Flywheel to crankshaft bolts..... the holes go thru the flange...

bought a few like that.....easy fixes..

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: August 22, 2011 06:07PM

I used Loctite on the flywheel to crankshaft bolts too...

1965 Buick Skylark
1965 Ford Mustang
1963 Ford Thunderbird

Date: August 22, 2011 06:20PM

HMMM bummer!

Sounds like the seal isn't seating in the bellhousing... C.Alan had one like that last year...

Date: August 22, 2011 06:25PM

You know, I used gasket sealer around the OD of the bellhousing seal too, and made sure it was seated in the bellhousing. I did this work when my garage was no more than 40-45 degrees...maybe the loctite didn't cure right...who knows. If it doesn't get any worse I'll leave it for awhile until I feel like tearing it apart again.

1965 Buick Skylark
1965 Ford Mustang
1963 Ford Thunderbird

Posted by: bought1 ()
Date: August 22, 2011 06:44PM

The other place to look is the keyway on the crank. I had one leak from there. A little sealer cured it.

Dave

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: August 22, 2011 07:18PM

I use PERMA-TEX #3 on bolt threads such as the 6 flywheel to crank and also those around the 'horseshoe' gasket bellhousing to engine case halves. I have seen oil leach through the threads, some of the holes are supposed to be blind holes but the casting is thin or a long bolt has broken through. I also put a 'dab' of #3 on the spot where the woodruff key is exposed.

I also have had good luck with the Viton crank seals from CLARKS but I also use the UNDERGROUND seals (non-viton) with the same success. Supposedly Viton doesn't really count with a spring loaded lip seal but who knows. Probably a long thread will generate here from me stating that.

Using LOCTITE gains you nothing, if the bolts are torqued correctly they won't be coming loose.

As Dave suggested too, make sure if it is oil or gear lube.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: August 22, 2011 08:04PM

Has anyone separated the whole transaxle from the bellhousing without splitting the differential and transmission? It seems like there's no need to split the two for a job like this, but I don't want to put a load on the input shaft seal. Thoughts?

1965 Buick Skylark
1965 Ford Mustang
1963 Ford Thunderbird

Date: August 22, 2011 08:07PM

Sure!! use "GUIDE BOLTS" in the bell housing...

buy 6-8" long 3/8" bolts and cut the heads off..

screw them in the bellhousing bolt holes... use at least 2holes

Date: August 23, 2011 04:31AM

I already have them made! I even slotted the bellhousing bolts. That's one good thing anyway... One last thing to store away for when I eventually tear it back apart again...what's the best way to remove the snout seal? I replaced my snout so I never had to worry about it...it seems like it's pretty deep down in there.

1965 Buick Skylark
1965 Ford Mustang
1963 Ford Thunderbird

Posted by: gmorphan ()
Date: August 23, 2011 06:34AM

Aaron65 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has anyone separated the whole transaxle from the
> bellhousing without splitting the differential and
> transmission?

This is usually the way I do it.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: August 23, 2011 10:21AM

Ok... I don't want to offend anyone, but I see that no one has mentioned from what side the main seal was installed in the bell-clutch housing. I will assume Aaron65 got it right... but for others who may be following this... and I know there are those who are new to Corvairs here...

I have came across engines where the previous person seated the main oil seal in the bell-clutch housing backwards. In other words... from the clutch side. Sure that makes it easier to change the seal without removing the bell-clutch housing... but it don-a seal worth a spit!!!
Main seal has to be installed from the crankshaft-engine side of the bell-clutch housing.
Corventure Dave

Date: August 23, 2011 11:51AM

I'm fairly certain I installed it from the right side, but that was in March. I'll check it this week. I've decided to tear it down Thursday, since I go back to work (school) next week. I don't want to have to worry about it as the school year begins. I made a small parts order today and picked up some Permatex #3...I sure didn't want to have to rip it out again, but what are you going to do? The leak's not getting any better.

1965 Buick Skylark
1965 Ford Mustang
1963 Ford Thunderbird

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.