Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT Another bonehead california (Los Angeles)
Posted by: dansk ()
Date: July 28, 2011 01:09PM

For over 10 yrs now we have had camera's at intersections to trap cars running red lights. And one would get a ticket in the mail showing car and driver and license plate. It is run by a private company that issues the ticket and gives a big chunk to the city. As it turns out, no one had to pay for these tickets, but no one knew until now. If you ignored the ticket you were sent a notice with late fees. Most people payed and got it over with.
If you fought it in court and lost, you would have to pay and DMV and insurance co. would be notified.
So here's where it gets WTF!
If you just ignored it and ripped it up, no one would come after you. Nothing sent to DMV or insurance. No warrent issued, nothing on the record!
Courts don't have the time nor man power to inforce those types of tickets.
Now Los Angeles city council is voting to remove all the cameras because they are just a pain in the ass for them.
A lot of people are pissed because they paid, but don't expect a refund, it will never happen.
Dann

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT Another bonehead california (Los Angeles)
Posted by: mwr ()
Date: July 28, 2011 01:24PM

Total scam. I wonder if it's the same company as this one:

[www.fullertonsfuture.org]

Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: July 28, 2011 01:29PM

I recieved a ticket in the mail once. From another town over 2 hours away. The car wasn't mine. Plate wasn't mine. Someone parked in a handicapped spot, took a picture and reported it. Only thing in common, was it was a Camaro. This one was blue, mine was red. They couldn't read the plate number in the picture so they randomly picked a car at the DMV..... I called, they appoligised. Picture was taken by some person who had nothing better to do, and the DMV had to act somehow. So they drew a car out of the hat and I won!!! (I didn't have to pay the ticket)

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
www.dirigocorvairs.net
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.
65 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

A mirror is a reflection of the miles travelled.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 28, 2011 01:30PM

dansk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now Los Angeles city council is voting to remove
> all the cameras because they are just a pain in
> the ass for them.

the vote was yesterday & as of july 31 all of the red light camaras in l.a. will be shut off.

-Scott V.

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: July 28, 2011 01:41PM

4carbcorvair Wrote:
> I recieved a ticket in the mail once. From another
> town over 2 hours away. The car wasn't mine. Plate
> wasn't mine. Someone parked in a handicapped spot,
> took a picture and reported it. Only thing in
> common, was it was a Camaro. This one was blue,
> mine was red. They couldn't read the plate number
> in the picture so they randomly picked a car at
> the DMV..... I called, they appoligised. Picture
> was taken by some person who had nothing better to
> do, and the DMV had to act somehow. So they drew a
> car out of the hat and I won!!! (I didn't have to
> pay the ticket)

I had the same thing happen to me,,got a ticket in the mail for parking in a handicap parking space at LAX,,same make of car but different color,,I called,,complained and it was droped and forgotten,,think they are just fishing for money,,some people just pay the fine.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 28, 2011 01:46PM

dansk Wrote:
> For over 10 yrs now we have had camera's at
> intersections to trap cars running red lights.
> And one would get a ticket in the mail showing car
> and driver and license plate. It is run by a
> private company that issues the ticket and gives a
> big chunk to the city.

no - thats 1 of the reasons why the city voted the cameras out. most of the money from the fines went to the state - not the city. the ticket was classified as a moving violation - not a parking ticket. the court costs & most of the fine was taken by the state. the city got almost no revenue from it - but got all the headaches.

the courts did not go after the people that ignored the fines – that is their job. oops – the state is broke so the courts cant deal w/the little stuff.

the city didnt see a reduction of accidents in the intersections that had red light cameras - many intersections saw a increase in accidents.

the city has seen more reduction of accidents in the intersections by installing the count-down displays & staggering the red light timing so its red in all directions for a few seconds – this *clears out* the intersection before the green.

most of the time i think the l.a. city council does a poor job. this time they got it right.

speaking of private companys that issue tickets - parking tickets are issued by a private company under contract of l.a. city.

-Scott V.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: July 29, 2011 08:59AM

I just LOVE my home State!!!
The wether ain't baddd two!

Corventure Dave

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: July 29, 2011 09:17AM

Well -- this was a lesson in live and learn.

At least the politicians woke up and pulled the plug on them.

This is hardly a wacky California thing (Texas has them). A LOT of states are using camera's. The latest is SPEED CAMERA'S. About 14 states use those. Coming to a road near you soon.

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: July 29, 2011 10:10AM

San Diego County has a different arrangement with the DMV and folks that installed and maintain cameras at strategic intersections throughout various cities and rural municipalities in the county.

Here's a shortened version of the article that I read in yesterday's North County Times: [www.nctimes.com]

In other words: You run a red light at an intersection that has a camera.... you're busted. You will be cited and you will receive notification in the mail. Does not matter whether you go to court or send payment, fine remains the same. How do I know? Just ask Debbie. Her photo came out perfect.

Red lights...If you have time to think about it you have time to stop.
Posted by: Andrew ()
Date: July 29, 2011 11:32AM

LA - Land of U turns....but no right turn on red. What a strange place!

I received a ticket in the mail for running a toll booth in IL a few years ago. Apparently they had cameras and took my photo. The strange thing was that it wasn't me or any of my vehicles. The photo showed an IN license plate on the back of a pickup truck. The number on that plate EXACTLY matched my motorcycle plate though. Until a few years ago IN motorcycle and truck plates were just a series of numbers. There could be one of each of the exact same number. I realized what was going on and called the state of IL. I explained the situation and they told me that they would take care of it and I should not pay the toll or the fine. I wanted something in writing in case I got pulled over some day and I ended up with a warrant for failing to pay. They basically told me not too worry about it (tough noogies in legal speak.)

The state of IN finally got their act together and began numbering all MC plates with an "M" as a prefix.

BTW, If I get a ticket I always check the website and call the phone number for information about the ticket before I pay it. Apparently some police officers don't always turn in their tickets all the time, and others get lost in the system. If you just pay the ticket without researching it first, you may be paying a ticket that didn't "exist"....until you sent in the copy and told on yourself. I've gotten out of paying for two tickets this way. Make sure to check at the last minute to make double sure it's not in the system and you're off the hook.

Two exceptions:

1. If you get pulled over by a MC cop...you're getting a ticket for sure. That's pretty much all they do. They will turn in thier ticket book.

2. Parking tickets always get turned in too. That's all they do as well and their tickets don't slip thru the cracks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.