Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: Convention: Would you pay $95 to enter a car show?
Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: July 29, 2011 08:24AM

Sorry 65spirit... but you just still don't seem to get it!
Do you think SCCA would let someone just show up for the day and race by just paying the entrance fee? The AACA example has been already given. You also continue to call the $95 an entrance fee for the show wrongly when it also covers the CORSA membership for a year and the benefits that membership has to offer.
I understand you are upset and you have all the right to vent here. But your argumenmt just does not hold water any more than someone who once quit CORSA because he thought his car should be judged as factory stock, even tho the paint was a Ford color along with the Mustang seats he had installed.
If you have a prejudice against CORSA, and you make that a clear impression with your origional post, then be the outsider you have chosen to be and park your car in the parking lot outside the show. Every Corvair owner is welcome to partisipate and no one is guarding the swapmeet and venders from non CORSA members like you. But do you really feel that you should be able to cash an event where all activities are organized for registered partisipants and not be asked join and register like everyone else who is partisipating? Really?

Corventure Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: flashpoint ()
Date: July 29, 2011 08:24AM

Matt........one of the biggest elitist here!...thanks for reinforcing my point with that little gem........LOL....like shooting fish in a pond!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2011 08:29AM by flashpoint.

Posted by: 65sprint ()
Date: July 29, 2011 08:27AM

Corventure dave, did you read all of my posts in this thread??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2011 08:27AM by 65sprint.

Date: July 29, 2011 08:30AM

65sprint Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Corventure dave, did you read all of my posts in
> this thread??

Obviously he did not!..............

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 29, 2011 08:31AM

flashpoint Wrote:
> Thanks Matt for reinforcing my point...LOL
===============================================

Always trying to help... I want you both to feel like you "belong" without paying a measly $45 per year....

You know I cannot fathom how $45 means anything to you...after all you have more $$ in that one bitchin' Vair than I have in ALL 3 of mine..

It doesn't compute!!

I just Wish some of "Unsafe's" willingness to spend $$ would rub off on you guys...

I'l wager he's spent way more than $5k to just attend two events this year....

And think about it... He's having a blast ALL WEEK..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2011 08:33AM by MattNall.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: July 29, 2011 08:51AM

65sprint Wrote:
> Corventure dave, did you read all of my posts in
> this thread??

Yes I have. No offence but I also had to join AACA as a full member, just to partisipate or even join a chapter. It is clear you are upset. I have delt with this kind of issue in the past with other organizations. I am sorry you have this postition, but we both have the right to disagree. Enjoy!

Corventure Dave

Posted by: WalterElias ()
Date: July 29, 2011 08:51AM

The truth is, that everyone showing a car there has paid $95. What you want is to just pay for one piece of what was actually a package deal.

Years ago, I had AAA insurance. I got tired of paying their membership dues on top of my insurance premium but that's how they did it. You couldn't have one without the other. I decided one year not to pay my membership due but to go ahead and pay my insurance premium thinking they wouldn't notice. Wrong....I got a letter in the mail indicating that my insurance policy was being cancelled!!

DirectTV is the same way. I really only watch a handful of channels but to get the channels I want, I have to buy a package deal.

Captain Crunch is the same way. I really just like the "Crunch Berries" but I have to buy the entire box which comes with regular Captain Crunch cereal mixed in! LOL

What's happened is that you've come to a place where you really want to take advantage of a car show put on by CORSA. You see the value in the car show but not in CORSA membership. But....the car show is one of the values of CORSA and without CORSA it wouldn't exist. It's CORSA's car show so they make the rules. Join CORSA and then you'll have an opportunity to petition and vote to change some of those rules.

Dan Kling
1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 110 HP, 4spd, 3.89 stump puller
1963 Spyder Coupe, restored, converted to 4spd Saginaw
1967 UltraVan #299, The migration has begun, we're on the road again......Save the Whales!

Photos of our Greenbrier, UltraVan and work-in-progress @

[www.flickr.com]

Date: July 29, 2011 08:54AM

Matt....Even for you this last post of yours is a doozy!......LOL....not sure how to respond to your angry ,self serving ,diatribe of a post.....except to say....Once again my point has been made!.......bet if I were a CORSA member what I spend on my "one bitchen car" wouldnt matter to you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2011 08:58AM by flashpoint.

Date: July 29, 2011 09:30AM

Matt: Fyi- my car is rusted, smashed, bashed and crashed, and I just got it started three days ago after 22 years, but that's beside the point....

Date: July 29, 2011 09:34AM

Guys - There's no need to get angry. As with most human nature we paid attention to the posts we agree with and ignored the ones we didn't. Re-read what Steve G. said. He's in the area and knows this guy and knows that he is is exactly like my MR buddy - he'll be darn diddly danged if he's going to join Corsa. That reality was a fact apparently long before the National.

To the folks who wax poetically about Corsa being an agent for promoting the Corvair - maybe in the old days when we all had money an unending level of charity to potential new members could be supported. But Corsa (like many of us) is fighting for it's economic life. Does a person who admits he has no interest in joining Corsa deserve our charity just to make him feel "welcome"?

There is always a minority of people who live their daily lives on the philosophy of "why should I pay?". They make a major hobby of dodging little responsibilities that the rest of us realize we have a responsibility for.

Now this guy has us all arguing amongst ourselves. Just great. If you believe that Corsa should be on a major charity mission then help to insure that Corsa is on solid financial ground.

Lon Wall
www.corvairunderground.com

Date: July 29, 2011 09:48AM

Lon.....some good points

His right not to join, CORSA's right to deny him entrance into the car show. I have no problem with that! although I think it would be better for CORSA as a whole to allow non memebers to show their cars than to deny them access completely.

I agree CORSA and its members preach promotion of the corvair but their actions speak differenly. Unfortunatlely their old school thinking may spell the end for them. Only time will tell.

As far a charity goes I've already given to my local church!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2011 09:51AM by flashpoint.

Posted by: Wabbitkiller ()
Date: July 29, 2011 09:49AM

flashpoint Wrote:
> Hey its a CORSA event and they make the rules
> however! to basically say "screw you" if you are
> not a member of CORSA is self defeating! These non
> CORSA members still own a corvair. Thats kind of a
> club in itself isnt it? What has turned me off
> from CORSA for years is the elitist attitude of
> some of its members {as apparent in the last three
> pages of posts}. Personally you are doing CORSA an
> injustice with the high brow attitude. If I were
> new to the Corvair world and read this thread I
> certainly wouldnt want to join Corsa now. Ask
> yourself why would a club with dwindeling
> membership not try to include, intice and involve
> new people, therefore encouraging them to join?
> Maybey the old school hard core CORSA members dont
> want new blood? Makes no sence to me!

I also agree with that, which is why I suggested that perhaps CORSA should come up with an "ala carte" price for the car show. Charge $15 for members, and maybe $25 for non-members (or whatever they deem to be fair). Their current way of handling it is not going to help them drum interest for fresh blood, BUT it's still their convention, their car show, their rules. No one is forcing anyone to participate, so if you don't like their terms you don't have to participate.

Chris

1965 Monza 95 Convertible 4 speed

Olathe, KS (Kansas City)

Date: July 29, 2011 10:21AM

I pity any spectators that may walk up off the street to look at the “car display”. I wonder if they are aware of the fact that it is a “members only” event and that they are reaping the benefits, getting a free ride, and taking advantage of the car club. I would urge anybody who’s busting my chops on here because of the fact that I’m willing to pay for the last day car display only, to go speak to them and set them straight on how wrong it is for them to be there if they’re not members of corsa……

Posted by: stitch ()
Date: July 29, 2011 11:11AM

Being an admitted lurker, I've read allot of threads on the advantages of CORSA. Also have read some threads of people saying that they won't be renewing for one reason or another. I am currently not a member and have been pondering whether I should maybe throw some money that way. (God knows how much I throw at 'Dimples' the Vair!) I don't know iffin they are a bunch of 'Elitists' (re: snobs) or not. I am, however, a member of the local chapter of Corvair enthusiasts. Enthusiasts? Hah! A lot of apathy. I had put out an email to the club asking for help with some rebuilt carbs. Only got 2 responses. The President of the club saved the day. (One of the respondents) Drove well over an hour to come and help and wouldn't even take gas money. The other respondent offered to help drink my beer. So maybe iffin I join CORSA, there will be a larger circle of people to turn to when someone needs help. Would be worth the membership fee to meet people that really care about Corvairs. This convention IS in their ballpark so THEY have the ball if you wanna play. By the way, is there a thread on advantages of being a member? or a (restricted) list of how many people may be a member in a certain area?

Posted by: Curtis ()
Date: July 29, 2011 11:19AM

>> By the way, is there a thread on advantages of being a member? or a (restricted) list of how many people may be a member in a certain area?

If by "thread" you mean a page listing the benefits and features of CORSA, yes.

Also, there is a searchable list of members (by proximity) available to members on the web site.

Curtis

64 Spyder Convertible
Milwaukee, Wi

Former Corvairs
62 Monza 900 Coupe (102/4)
64 Monza 900 Convertible (110/PG)
65 Monza Coupe (110/PG)
66 Monza Coupe (110/PG)
66 Monza Sedan (110/PG)

Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: July 29, 2011 11:21AM

Corvair group hug!!!!

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
www.dirigocorvairs.net
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.
65 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

A mirror is a reflection of the miles travelled.

Date: July 29, 2011 11:22AM

I also want to point out the fact that I'm in no way trying to knock down corsa. I'm sure that they are a great club, hence their longevity. When I went to pay for the car display, EVERYONE was nice, cordial, friendly, helpful, and the cars outside were ALL amazing.

My only point of originating this thread is to voice the fact that maybe there should be (as many on here stated) a different entry fee for non-members for the car display, AND THE CAR DISPLAY ONLY. That entry fee should not include the vendors, meets, concourse de elegance, trophies, etc., but the car display only. (All this talk of looking for a "free ride" is a waste of time, noone said that). If someone has the time to attend any of the events, then by all means, pay $35 for the registration to the convention. If someone is interested enough in joining corsa, then by all means, pay the $45 for the membership.

Including non-members in the car display can/will entice non members into finding out more about the organization as well as getting to know the fine people there whom ALL are there for the same reason- because they love corvairs. Charging them with a mandatory fee of $95 dollars even if they cannot attend any of the events (except the final event) can turn away potential members.

I'd also like to point out that this is an important subject based on the fact that 1030 people have already looked at this thread. How many oppose and how many support the idea? Noone may know, but it is clear that this is an issue which should be addressed by clubs...

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: July 29, 2011 11:35AM

I am not a member,,I used to be but let it exspire,,,my dad was a member from the begining,,was reading thru some old CORSA mags the other day,,,so now thinking of joining again,,just for the good reading. Can we talk about politics now???grinning smiley

65 sprint:
Matt: Fyi- my car is rusted, smashed, bashed and crashed, and I just got it started three days ago after 22 years, but that's beside the point....

I understand being proud of your car,,but why would you want to enter it in a car show if its so beat up? maybe take some of the money you saved and fix it up a bit and get ready for the next local show that is free or $15,,just say'n.

Posted by: 66cv8 ()
Date: July 29, 2011 11:47AM

You want to PLAY you have to PAY period.

I make a motion we veto auto welfare referendum, all in favor?

Joe

66 500 Crown 350/4 on road
66 Corsa Convertible 140/4 rough
69 Monza Convertible 140/4 in progress (original 95/3)
Nu Joisey

" A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE IS A DANGEROUS THING"

"STUPID is the NEW SMART"

Date: July 29, 2011 11:48AM

As I mentioned before I don't think it's a bad idea for the Corsa Board to consider a special rate for someone who just wants to put a car in the Saturday car show. It may very well happen - for future events. But I think it's also important that the entry fee bear some correlation to the costs. In other words I doubt it will only be $15.00.

There is still a great deal in the point that this event would simply not exist if it wasn't for the convention and Corsa. At one time there was a major vendor who thought that he should get free vending space because he was providing a certain "service" for the membership. But where except a National convention do you get this type of targeted audience?

We all have our points of view, and some are more rational than others. In fact, some are even unbelievably asinine. The Corsa people aren't jerks or snobs - they're just trying to keep Corsa alive.

Lon

Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.