Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
can't remove idler arm! any ideas?
Posted by: Billdozer ()
Date: June 03, 2011 08:34PM

went at it with a pickle fork and penetrating oil for about an hour, wouldn't budge. any ideas to loosen it up?

Billy T.
San Luis Obispo, CA
64 Monza Spyder
(non-turbo)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: can't remove idler arm! any ideas?
Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: June 03, 2011 08:52PM

Two hammers... one pounders work well. Hit the center link on both sides of the idler stud at the same time. May take some practice blows to hit both at same time. It is a pinching-shock that will free the nestiest idlers or tie rod ends. Oh... be sure the castle nut is in place but vary loose. This will protect the threads if you miss with a hammer! I used to live in snow-salt country in a former life!

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: June 03, 2011 09:08PM

Or - do both! Get the pickle fork jammed in and putting pressure on the joint and then whack both sides of the relay rod (simultaneously) with good sized hammers.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Canadian Monza 4dr 110/PG 40k
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: June 03, 2011 09:10PM

corventure Dave
Hit the center link on both sides of the idler stud at the same time.

Time for a video!
Anyone want to post one?

Kevin
Medina, OH

Date: June 05, 2011 12:24AM

i'm still having a little trouble picturing the two hammer method. Where do i strike the arm?

Billy T.
San Luis Obispo, CA
64 Monza Spyder
(non-turbo)

Posted by: Tom Z ()
Date: June 05, 2011 04:42AM

..the 'procedure' is shown in the movie Sherlock Holmes,when Downey "discombobulates" the guy in the fight ring..I took the torched-off steering arm ends off a Mustang-2 R/P yesterday to weld to Corvair steering arms (they have a 7* taper)

Tom Z,,Rochester NY

Attachments:
Date: June 06, 2011 08:06AM

Perfect photo, however two hammers of the same weight work best for me. The biggest challenge is to strike both hammers at the "same" time... no big deal!

Posted by: Tom Z ()
Date: June 06, 2011 12:09PM

..just 'backing up' against one side works fine,especially for those "Jerks" that can't clap their hands (Steve Martin joke,sorry..)

Tom Z,,Rochester NY

Date: June 07, 2011 10:55AM

Ay Tom...
I used to live in the Rochester area... in a earlier life! Greece... off Long Pond Road! Shoreway Drive to be exact. Family moved here to So. Cal. in 1965 from Chili... You know I'm from there kuz I say it right... Chie--Lie. Have a White hot dog at Don and Bob's on me!

Corventure Dave

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: June 07, 2011 11:45AM

>>Hit the center link on both sides of the idler stud at the same time<<

I'd like to see that myself. GGGG

You hold the second hammer on the back side as a "buck". Sometimes called a "bucking bar".

Newton's first law of motion states that "An object at rest stays at rest".
Inertia keeps the buck from moving and all the energy fom the striking hammer is transferred to the arm.

In the real world, there is never enough room to swing two hammers with the same force.

I don't care if you can clap your hands, 95% if the time you will be just bouncing one hammer off the retreating hammer blow.

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: June 07, 2011 11:55AM

Pickle fork or hammer, always be sure and leave the nut part way on the threads until it pops. You need to protect the threads and keeps the tie rod or what ever you are working on from falling on your face.

Date: June 07, 2011 03:00PM

actually, it's the idler arm stud that won't release from the idler arm bracket that's bolted to the car

Billy T.
San Luis Obispo, CA
64 Monza Spyder
(non-turbo)

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 07, 2011 03:07PM

Bill.... using a prybar...... pull down on the idler while hitting the idler arm bracket...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: August 16, 2011 08:49PM

i was home a couple weeks ago and tried again to get the idler arm off. i was using a pickle fork from autozone but i still wouldn't come off. then my neighbor came over with his own pickle fork that had a sharper edge. one hit and the damn thing fell right to the floor. i couldn't believe it. i was so relieved but frustrated still. but i finally got the new idler arm in and my steering assembly finished! i got some new used parts from CA Corvairs and i'll put 'em on when i go back home again in a couple weeks.

Billy T.
San Luis Obispo, CA
64 Monza Spyder
(non-turbo)

Attachments:
Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: August 16, 2011 08:56PM

Cool! I was doing the front end all day as well,,the method I use is like craig said,,jam the pickle fork in then use the big sledge as a backer and smack the other side with a smaller sledge,,Never seen the twin hammer swing? might look like that wind up monkey with the cymbals slaping! GGG

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.