Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Front End Lighting Diagram?
Posted by: vairboy ()
Date: May 30, 2011 06:53AM

Does anyone have or know of a good lighting diagram for the front end of a 66 corvair. I had my 66 LM at a body shop & they swapped out the front harness for me. But now I have an issue where the turn signals are blinking extremely slow and some other quirks...like speed of blink changes depending whether headlights are on or not. I'm thinking maybe a ground is not good on the dash or maybe even on the headlight housing. Any ideas or a good diagram (for dummies) would be appreciated!!!! I thought I would give it a try before going back to the shop.

Thanks!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Front End Lighting Diagram?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 30, 2011 07:42AM

Bad Grounding!! Clean everything!

Wiring diagrams are FREE / online...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: May 30, 2011 08:01AM

Vairboy - Oh I wish the forum could handle .pdf and I'd post.

As Matt said some diagrams are online, BUT the factory stuff is tricky to read. Not dumping on GM, it was the standards of the 60's and NO computers then.

Matt assumption is probably correct judging by your problem description - poor headlamp or turnsignal bulb ground.

FIRST - the headlights are glass so bolting them in place will not ground them. The sockets to the headlamps have a ground wire that is screwed to the sheet metal. ALWAYS a problem since it's exposed and corrodes. Find the black wire and wHere it is screwed to the sheet metal (if it even is). EACH side has a ground wire and BOTH must be properly connected to ground via the body steel (YES A LITTLE PAINT MAY HAVE TO BE REMOVED - NOT THE BEST DESIGN).

SECOND - the turn signal ground is via the socket. to the housing, to the sheet metal (after all these years the connections are not that great - and if the body shop removed the turn signal housing to paint the car - well you can see where this is going - you can't ground something if the metal is painted over.

It's no wonder cars rust around turnsignals and stop lamp housing - the paint has to be cut through by the hardware to be grounded.

Now you know why folks ADD ground wires to tail lamp housings.

GOOD LUCK.

Date: May 30, 2011 08:09AM

Thanks guys. Good point about the paint. I know my headlight housings were painted as well, so there is a good chance that might be part of the problem.

Sounds like good opportunity to learn some skills with the electronics of the Corvair...at least the first half of the car anyway.

Thanks

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: May 30, 2011 08:54AM

vairboy,

According to your description, I too, must agree with Matt.... bad grounding.

Date: May 30, 2011 09:26AM

66vairman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Vairboy - Oh I wish the forum could handle .pdf
> and I'd post.

66VairMan, and all.

Google Docs will allow you to upload PDF files from your computer to your personal "cloud" space.
You can then share the document's URL on this or any other site.
Try it, you'll like it!!

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CCF admin ~
CORSA +Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: May 30, 2011 09:27AM

Thanks Dan - It's on my list.

Date: June 03, 2011 06:06PM

Just wanted to say thanks for everyone's input. I worked on the lights today and found the problem. I took off the headlight bezels cleaned the areas where the ground wire goes... that did not work, took out the turn signal housings & checked the wiring & bulbs...that did not work. Finally...I checked the rear tail lights. The outside light on the same side of the car had a missing metal tab on the socket. I had a few spares so I took out the metal insert and installed it and lo and behold.... the turn signal now blinks normally with or without the headlight.

Good learning experience!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.