Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Finally figured out how the EM turn signal lever/cable works and will share details for the Corvair Newbiessmoking smiley
Posted by: danyarger ()
Date: May 29, 2011 10:51PM

After 6-7 trys I finally got it working and actually UNDERSTAND HOW IT WORKS. Ofcourse the indicaters still dont work but all the outside lights work again. The shop manual leaves out some VERY IMPORTANT DETAILS so I'll clarify those details because it's easy to forget or screw up or maybe this is just too old school technology for the rest of us. Ok class open your Corvair text books to page 8-60 Figures 8-120 and 8-121

1) The actuating ring has a notch/slot on the backside (not visible in the picture) which the tiny lever in the signal housing which controls the cable fits into. If the tiny lever is not in this slot, your turn signals will either be stuck on one side or not work entirely because nothing will move the lever which controls the cable. Line this up first when reinstalling the actuating ring, then fit the detent roller into the spring. The spring center nubs point towards the outside of the signal housing not the inside. Last screw down the pivot bolt and make sure there is fresh grease on the pivot part of the bolt and the cancelling pawls.

2) On the back of the steering wheel there is a piece with 2 point tabs which operate the cancelling cams. The way you know if you have it on correctly is if your see the bigger hole for the horn switch visible. If it's not visible turn the pointy things around because you have it on wrong.

3) To explain the detent roller and spring. The neutral part of the detent spring is actually the lower point bend NOT in the middle between the two points. The right turn signal position is actually below the lower point and the left turn signal is in the upper point.

4) To adjust the cable and switch make sure hand turn signal lever is in the neutral position. It's easiest but not required to have the lower switch disconnected from the steering column for adjustment so you can see what your doing. With the hand lever in neutral check and make sure the slide on the lower switch is in the center position. Check to make sure the cable sheething hasn't come loose from the switch and tighten carefully if necessary but not too much as to not crack the plastic ruining the lower switch. Operate the upper lever and watch the lower switch to make sure the cable is pushing and pulling in all 3 slide positions. If it's out of adjustment you slide the wire cable on the lower switch slide hold down with your finger as it's just held in there with a flat tension spring. Mount the lower switch back on the column with a medium hose clamp if you've already lost the mounting screws. Once mounted check your cable adjustment again to make sure it hasn't moved.

5) If you've done all this everything turn signal related under the steering wheel should be correct. My lower switch wiring harness has had the insulation of 1-2 wires chewed up and mutilated by rats so if have a problem like the indicaters not working, I can blame that.

6) If after several thousand miles your signals dont work again, check the cable adjustment again as it's possible the cable sheething slipped loose from the clamp on the lower switch.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2011 10:58PM by danyarger.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finally figured out how the EM turn signal lever/cable works and will share details for the Corvair Newbiessmoking smiley
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: May 30, 2011 08:32AM

Once you get an FC turn signal mechanism to work - it is quite satisfying. They DO work, but it's a real "watch mechanism" type of device.

I worked on a buddies after someone forced it and bent things up. What a job, some parts were broken and the repro parts had to be re-worked slightly. Still a so-so repro part is better than NO part.

Patience and more patience. Finally it worked very well - had a nice feel to the lever.

I found Vaseline is a good lubricant. Doesn't smell, get sticky, or dry out.

Glad you stuck with it.

Re: Finally figured out how the EM turn signal lever/cable works and will share details for the Corvair Newbiessmoking smiley
Posted by: danyarger ()
Date: May 30, 2011 09:02AM

Thanks, now if I can only get the indicaters working here soon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.