Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT A big step. Corvair on slow-mo again....smileys with beer
Posted by: Am-Iron ()
Date: May 24, 2011 08:57PM

Well, this will be the first time I am happy to say I have to slow down on the project! We found out today that our offer on a house in Colorado Springs Co. was accepted. We lived below our means and saved for a while for this. Next month we will walk into our (very fixer upper) home and it will be free and clear of any mortgage! 100% paid in full. It was a tough thing to do in this economy but only possible in this economy as well! I will know better tomorrow what is to come but I am a happy guy tonight! There is a lot of work ahead for us but we will happily get to it! Here is a link so you can see where we are starting from. House There are two garages, one the size I have now and an extra one car garage as well. I will build one more when I save up enough for that!

1965 Monza road race build, 1965 Corsa Convertible, 1961 Lakewood, 1964 Rampside
Facebook Groups:
Corvair Racers [www.facebook.com]
Corvair Owners Group [www.facebook.com]
Corvair Trader [www.facebook.com]
Allen Amrine Colorado Springs, CO. 303-325-5968

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT A big step. Corvair on slow-mo again....smileys with beer
Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: May 24, 2011 09:05PM

Congrats! Looks like a pretty nice house, especially for what you paid...

Don't try and do everything at once!

Kevin
Medina, OH

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 24, 2011 09:22PM

Good for you and your family....

Why Colorado Springs??

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: tkalp ()
Date: May 24, 2011 09:36PM

That's great, even at low interest rates most people end up paying more in interest than they do for the house. Life without a large rent or mortgage payment is a lot sweeter. It is amazing how much a good cleanup and many gallons of paint with perk a place up. An the fixing up will help make the house more like you want. Congratulations.

Terry Kalp,
Wichita, KS

Date: May 24, 2011 09:50PM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good for you and your family....
>
>
> Why Colorado Springs??

There are many reasons Matt. It reminds me of what Denver used to be like before it went down hill. The view of Pikes peak from our new home will be worth it alone. We think it a much better place to raise our little girl. Denver is only an hour away if we need something. I had about the same house in Denver (until the ex) only it looked nice but needed a roof and windows. This house has a new roof, windows, and furnace, plus .25 acres more land. That house was 300K in 2004. It is an absolute steal. In 1989 I purchased my first house in Denver for 78K. They accepted our offer of 71K cash on this one.

Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: May 25, 2011 04:41AM

Congrats Allen!!!

No mortgage! A dream come true. smiling smiley

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
www.dirigocorvairs.net
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.
65 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

A mirror is a reflection of the miles travelled.

Posted by: MrChips ()
Date: May 25, 2011 07:16AM

.25 acres is a lot of 'Vair space...

Where Santiago and Live Oak Canyon intersect in Orange County, Ca

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: May 25, 2011 08:46AM

Congrats Allen! I am sure your going to love having more space!!

Date: May 25, 2011 09:25AM

Thanks Dave, or should I say Mister Whisper? GGG! I moved from a 6 bed 3 bath 3,000 square foot home into the under 400 square foot apartment! Now that was a shocker!eye popping smiley The things this house needs are cosmetic so I should be good fairly quickly. Then I can get to the fun stuff! Big shop!

Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: May 25, 2011 09:33AM

Way to go Allen! thumbs up

I'm happy for you-all. (And it has nothing to do with U-haul lol - however you may end up using one soon.)

It is nice to hear stories like this... smileys with beer

All the Best!

Sincerely, Tony

Posted by: SSpeed66 ()
Date: May 25, 2011 10:09AM

Stories like this are very few & far betweenthumbs up
Good for you Allen !!

$1500/month rent is very common for this area...What a dream that would be to not have that to pay every montheye rolling smiley

Al Macaulay - Okanagan Valley, BC
Western Canada Corsa

Link to my Corsa build- [corvaircenter.com]
Link to my Cobra boat Project- [www.sidewinder-boats.com]

66 Corsa 140 HT - 402BBC/Turbo 425, 66 CDN Corsa 'Vert 140, 79 Cobra 16SS/Merc 1500, 69 Triumph Trident Chopper, 67 BSA Lightning Custom
Cobra Custom Metal Design/ God Bless Canada

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: May 25, 2011 10:25AM

Allen,

It's great to have a home free & clear of any mortgage hovering over your head. I too, bought my place as a fixer-upper (work in prgess). And like you, it's bought and paid for.

Granted, surrounding views north of my place aren't quite as spectacular as you would discover around Colorado, but it is a great view nonetheless for Southern California. Palomar Mountain just right of center, off into the distance. Second photo is the eastern hills of Ramona valley (ignore neighbor's tin shed).

It's too bad homes within California aren't priced like they are in Colorado, they're typically three to four times above average.

Attachments:

Date: May 25, 2011 10:32AM

Thanks guys. That is a nice view! I will take a pic. or two when we go down to the Springs next. We are paying $700 (apartment and garage/shop) now plus another $200 for a storage. We will be using that money as fix up money for a while. Then as much as we can save for retirement! We will be able to travel more as well. Al, Canada is beautiful. My sister has a ranch outside Alberta that they are trying to sell and down size.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.