Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Q: 62 FC 4speed convert to 64 style.. difficult? Worth it?
Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: May 24, 2011 11:45AM

Converting from a 62 "Mystery" shifter to 64 style.... difficult? Is it worth it?
What is your experience with the early FC 4speeds? Anything that can be done to improve or restore the stock "springy" shifter?

Been awhile since I've driven an early FC 4speed,and never really drove for a long time.

Since the uni-pack is out on the 62 Rampy that I bought, I was contemplating upgrading to the 64 shifter/tank/steering column and other goodies from the 64 Panel van.....

Opinions? Yay or Nay?

Marco
A 2nd Gen Monza Wagon, a 2nd Gen GB 8door, a 2nd Gen (61's were 1st Gen) R/s and a 62nd Gen Turbo coupe..

Hanging out with the scorpions, king snakes, road runners, coyotes and quails In the southern desert of the silver state
Mesquite NV 89024

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Q: 62 FC 4speed convert to 64 style.. difficult? Worth it?
Posted by: gwydionjhr ()
Date: May 24, 2011 12:08PM

Mike W. owns a '64 GB (the "Westbrier) and helped me retreive my '61 Rampy from Yuma AZ (1700mi). He's 6ft, and says the floor mount is a bit of a reach for him and hard on his back, he prefers the early mystery shifter.

Regards,
Joel

Regards,
Joel Rushworth
1961 Rampside w/Deluxe Scamper Camper
1966 Corsized Cdn Monza Coupe
1967 UV #292
"Kick the Hell out of the Status Quo" - Ed Cole

Posted by: WalterElias ()
Date: May 24, 2011 12:11PM

Hi Marco,

I myself wouldn't go to the trouble. I personally prefer the mystery shifter. I know the later shifter is "tighter" and not as prone to being damaged on rough terrain but the early shifter is perfectly acceptable when the components are in good shape. I've taken ours off the beaten path many times and never had a problem with it hitting anything although I keep out a watchful eye when I have to straddle something.

Just like the car, the rear pin and coupler need to be free of wear and to a lesser degree the front rod support. It is however more critical than the later design but not that big of a deal. The biggest wear item is the pin which is easily replaced.

Dan Kling
1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 110 HP, 4spd, 3.89 stump puller
1963 Spyder Coupe, restored, converted to 4spd Saginaw
1967 UltraVan #299, The migration has begun, we're on the road again......Save the Whales!

Photos of our Greenbrier, UltraVan and work-in-progress @

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: May 24, 2011 12:18PM

Funny, I thought I was the only one who would side with the mystery shifter. I've had both and in addition to the (desirable) quirk-factor, I rather liked the more vertical pattern of the earlier shifter.

I didn't like the boot very well (did you know that a mid-series corvette boot works pretty well?) and I didn't like how it occasionally got frozen in fourth (freezing slush), but other than that I like the MS and wouldn't consider changing to a floor shift; the cost/benefit doesn't work for me on either side of the equation.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Canadian Monza 4dr 110/PG 40k
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.