Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Proper Rear Light Wiring . . . ?
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: May 24, 2011 12:27AM

Does anybody know, or can anyone communicate, the right way to wire the rear lights--ie, what wires go where, what they look like for which lights, etc?

As a few of you know my car was re-painted recently. Well when the guys at the shop removed my bumpers they pulled out my rear lights, and the wires came undone. Now, it isn't just a matter of putting them back, because they are all mixed up. I tried experimenting, but so far unsuccessfully. I can turn on my lights at the switch and get them to come on (dimly), and I can shift into reverse and get lights (all now instead of just the reverse lights), but hitting the brakes doesn't give me any reaction, anymore.

Any thoughts?

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Proper Rear Light Wiring . . . ?
Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: May 24, 2011 12:43AM

If you can see the color of the wires it will be easy. is it not a stock wiring set up?

the engine harness only lays in one way correctly..... the single wired lights are the reverse lights (green), I dont recall the colors (would have to look it up) but each tail light has two wires. If you dont have a good ground, you might get dim lights but when you hit the brakes, they may go out and not work with the running lights on.......

Marco
A 2nd Gen Monza Wagon, a 2nd Gen GB 8door, a 2nd Gen (61's were 1st Gen) R/s and a 62nd Gen Turbo coupe..

Hanging out with the scorpions, king snakes, road runners, coyotes and quails In the southern desert of the silver state
Mesquite NV 89024

Posted by: Ed Dowds ()
Date: May 24, 2011 04:25AM

Brown/tan = running lights & license plate (dimmer filament)
Yellow = left brake/signal (brighter filament)
Dark green = right brake/signal (brighter filament)
Light green = backup

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: May 24, 2011 06:44AM

Bad grounds and poor bulb socket contacts account for 99% of rear lighting issues on LM Corvairs. I've had new sockets perform worse than old ones so double check your grounds and clean up any corrosion in the sockets.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: May 24, 2011 09:37AM

Eric - doesn't that club have an electrical guy with a manual that will lend you a hand?

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: May 24, 2011 11:44AM

My colors are all black in some areas, green and white in others. And I think the sockets were replaced a few years ago by yours truly (its a blur between this car and the three previous ones). Clearly I'm past the original wiring.

I put the question on another forum, though, and got a schematic posted by Scott Howley in Hesperia. I should be able to stumble through a rescue now.

Thanks, all!

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.