Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Improve Lighting on Rampsides and Loadsides
Posted by: vegasteddybear ()
Date: May 23, 2011 03:13PM

Hello!
It is important that I can get some serious suggestions or recommendations on
how I can improve both the exterior and interior lighting on my 1962 Rampside.
I am, especially, disappointed with the dash/speedometer lights as they are
very difficult to view and read. Some owners have suggested replacing the stock,
existing bulbs with the newer, brighter LED bulbs.
Please respond!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Improve Lighting on Rampsides and Loadsides
Posted by: azdave ()
Date: May 23, 2011 03:33PM

I am working on a solution for high-powered LEDs tail lights for a guy here in Phoenix with a Rampy. I expect double the OEM brightness but it won't be a a plug-in bulb. Those are not dependable or bright enough in my opinion.

I can also do dash lights but I'm not volunteering at this point. What is your skill level with electronics? Maybe I can assist. Plug-in LED bulbs like found all over ebay on in local stores are rarely a good solution from my experience.

In the last month I've built about 20 LM tail light units and they are nearly ready for an introduction. Again, these won't be plug-n-play but they are much brighter than stock but retain the OEM appearance in use.

Posted by: Zodi Davis ()
Date: May 23, 2011 05:01PM

I've anxiously waited for Dave to release/sell some of those re-engineered late model tail lights since seeing one be test cycled in his garage. These are unbelievably brilliant without being obnoxious, Great application of led's

Greg/Zodi Davis
Sierra Vista, AZ.
65" Monza convertible
65"Corsa turbo coupe
66" Corsa coupe 140
66" Monza 140
65"Corsa convertible
62" Rampside
64" corvan
64"Greenbriar deluxe

Date: May 23, 2011 05:57PM

Zodi Davis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've anxiously waited for Dave to release/sell
> some of those re-engineered late model tail lights
> since seeing one be test cycled in his garage.
> These are unbelievably brilliant without being
> obnoxious, Great application of led's

What...these old things?

Thanks for the comments Greg.

This batch is for a club member who wanted a full turn-key solution for all of his LM Corvairs. Since he lives really close it is a great way to see if he has any problems with the install/wiring since he has never used LEDs. These got a bead blast and repaint job along with the LED conversion. Not seen in the photos is the dual-brightness constant-current driver that is about the size of a postage stamp and will hang discretely off of one of the lens attaching screws. More later...

My kits will probably just offer the parts you can't get easily because I know most people here want to build these on their own to save money. The "yellowed" housings in the photo are an attempt to simulate the yellow cad plating found on original parts.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Attachments:
Posted by: gwydionjhr ()
Date: May 23, 2011 06:40PM

Where do I sign up?

Any chance you're doing a dual brake/reverse for a LM so we can use 4 reverse lenses?

Regards,
Joel Rushworth
1961 Rampside w/Deluxe Scamper Camper
1966 Corsized Cdn Monza Coupe
1967 UV #292
"Kick the Hell out of the Status Quo" - Ed Cole

Posted by: 65Cvair ()
Date: May 23, 2011 08:20PM

I put LED in my rampside for tail/brake. Motivation was constant bad ground, not anymore. Was at Walmart and seen an obround led light, thought it to be about the right size and bought one to try. It was a 10 light but after cutting down to fit into the lense it became an 8 light. Looks pretty good with 4 on top and 4 on bottom. I think they are brighter, but that is opinion not fact.

Keith Hammett
Willard, Mo
'62 Rampside
'65 Monza vert

Date: May 24, 2011 06:54AM

vegasteddybear?
You still here? haven't seen a reply or PM if you still need help.

gwydionjhr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where do I sign up?
>
> Any chance you're doing a dual brake/reverse for a
> LM so we can use 4 reverse lenses?

Not bothering with sign up lists. Will announce on variuos forums when ready.

I have dual-color and tri-color LEDs in the works for my own vehicle but not planned for sale right now. No one currently makes a quality board the way I feel it should be done so I am reluctantly using a few of the discountinued Asian Signals boards from my hoard of goodies.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: May 24, 2011 09:17AM

Regarding only the instrument panel - Usually the panel needs to be removed and dismantled and cleaned inside. I often find incorrect lamps installed or older lamps are darkened by filament deposits inside the bulb glass. Connections at the headlamp switch, fuse box should also be cleaned. Also make sure the dash panel ground is good.

After all that the gauge lighting usually improves and is adequate.

As far as the taillights go - not the greatest, but painting the inside housing with hi-temp white does make them brighter. Replacing the lens helps as old plastic tends to get darker.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: May 24, 2011 11:42AM

Years ago I installed a dash light bulb and socket in each of the outside corners of the FC tail lamp housings. I wired it to my brake and signal's. Now I have about 1/3 more brake and signal light coming from my tail lights. Quite simple to do!
I have been thinking of upgrading the added light bulbs to LED's. Have installed a lot of LED "safety" lighting on the motorcycle! I don't want to go to full LED's on my Brier because they will not have to load to make the signal flasher work properly. This too could be changed out but that starts a snow ball effect of changing one thing then needing to change another and another..... cheesh!!!!

Date: May 24, 2011 11:54AM

corventure Dave Wrote:
> I don't want
> to go to full LED's on my Brier because they will
> not have to load to make the signal flasher work
> properly. This too could be changed out but that
> starts a snow ball effect of changing one thing
> then needing to change another and another.....
> cheesh!!!!

When using LEDs for turn lamps, the fact that it requires one no-load blinker to be purchased from Autozone ($10) is hardly a snowball effect in my book but yes, you will need one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.