Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Please tell me I didn't fry it
Posted by: mistertudball ()
Date: May 22, 2011 01:41PM

So I throw back the top on the first day it hasn't rained in AGES and am running errands when I hear a serious knocking (pre-ignition type) upon acceleration, then again, then I look down and see the Fan/Gen lights on. I immediately pull into a parking lot and turn it off, which takes a little while of dieseling to accomplish. Put up the hood and hot smoke is coming from everywhere, and it looks like it threw the belt. Not broken, just not on the pulleys and a tad chewed up.

I just got home after AAA towed it to a Goodyear place near home and would like some reassurance that I haven't cooked the recently rebuilt engine. I never saw the "hot" light or heard any sort of buzzer, assuming they work. But it sure smelled hot. What are my odds?

-----------------------------

Dave
Columbus, OH

'66 Monza convertible
'73 Eldorado convertible

[get.google.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Please tell me I didn't fry it
Posted by: SUMTOY1966 ()
Date: May 22, 2011 01:50PM

Vair engines are very tough it will be fine I have did that same thing!

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 22, 2011 01:52PM

Compression test tells everything.. take one.... It'sd a bummer!! but most likely it is fine, if you were on city streets..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2011 03:33PM by MattNall.

Posted by: ElkyBob ()
Date: May 22, 2011 01:58PM

Dave, I'm sure know but you say you saw the fan/gen light on, the fan is the "Hot" light. However, if you pulled over right after you saw the lights on, you probably didn't do any damage. By the way, never go anywhere without a spare belt and wrench (s) to install a new belt. Ask me how I learned.

Bob Ponder in Tenino WA

1962 Vair Vert/102 4 spd w/EFI
1959 El Camino w/348 5 speed
1987 El Camino w/350 auto
2000 Ford F150
2014 Honda Crosstour

Date: May 22, 2011 02:54PM

Believe it or not I DID have a spare belt but have no clue how to put it on. Guess I'd better learn. (I'm a tad better at wielding a credit card than a wrench). It was very sunny so I have no clue how long the idiot lights were on but the engine was purring nicely right up until I turned left and heard the detonations.

Dave
Columbus, OH

'66 Monza convertible
'73 Eldorado convertible

[get.google.com]

Posted by: lowandslow ()
Date: May 22, 2011 08:21PM

My older daughter was out in my '64 convertible years ago and lost a belt. I had told her in that circumstance to turn the heater on full blast and drive home slow or park it and call me if too far. Of course she did neither. When she got home you coulda fried eggs on the engine lid, but the car ran fine after that.

Patrick McGhee
1963 Spyder convertible
Weatherford, Texas

Posted by: ccvair ()
Date: May 22, 2011 09:23PM

I knocked one off on the expressway a few years back doing 85mph got out the gas and fling!!! off goes the belt! In the cars defence it wasent its fault,it was a old belt that gave up!

Posted by: jimster1 ()
Date: May 23, 2011 01:22AM

It looks like you are a candidate (after the fact) for a little circuit that I worked up. It involves changing the oil pressure switch and a bit of wiring. The result is a buzzer that shouts at you in the event of loss of oil pressure or belt. PM me with your email address and I'll send you a copy of the schematic and explanation. Idiot lights are bad enough, but in a convertible with the sun shining on the dash are impossible to notice. Buzzer works every time.
Jim

Date: May 23, 2011 03:32AM

This is all very encouraging, especially the driving all the way home with no belt and it ran fine afterward. I dropped off service manuals on my way to work at 5 this morning and was relieved to see it's still in the Goodyear parking lot, wheels and all.

Since it doesn't appear that the belt is broken, what causes it to come off and how can I avoid it happening in the future? I drive like a granny so it can't be hot roddin' (I did go over some fairly rough railroad tracks a couple miles before the noises started).

Dave
Columbus, OH

'66 Monza convertible
'73 Eldorado convertible

[get.google.com]

Date: May 23, 2011 07:34AM

Dave... probably just needed re-adjustment... keep it LOOSE!!

...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: May 23, 2011 07:40AM

MTCW – After you do a compression test and find that it is okay – I would replace the oil and filter right away for extra insurance. Now that is just me and some might say it is not necessary.

Hope it is okay!

Best of Luck, Tony

Posted by: Pacerace ()
Date: May 23, 2011 08:22AM

Depending on the type of belt it may be broken, but have a string in the center that holds it together. My belt came off once and looked finer, but when started the belt would flip over in the pulleys. After I got it home limping on a slipping upside down belt (didn't have the small wrench to move the belt guard on the shroud), I took it off to find out the rubber actually was broken, but the string inside it was keeping it together.

Chandler
Powder Springs, GA.

1965 Corvair Monza 110/4sp Coupe

Posted by: Darrin ()
Date: May 23, 2011 05:22PM

I would check the idler bearing and the blower bearing...when they go bad they spin too freely, heating up and shrinking the belt. If you spin them with the belt off they should spin a bit and slow down on their own. Bad ones will just spin and spin and spin.

If a newly rebuilt engine, they are probably fine. Perhaps.

Darrin

Darrin Hartzler
Bethesda, MD/Catlett, VA

Northern Virginia Corvairs & Group Corvair

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: May 23, 2011 08:27PM

Hello Dave: I too hope your engine is ok and it probably is. Can I suggest something that may help you in the future with your car? Join the local club, there is one listed in the Columbus area. There are guys who will help you with changing belt proceedures and other forms of maintainance. It is cheaper to join the club than to have an engine rebuilt. Good luck with your car.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Date: May 24, 2011 04:56AM

Steve. I joined Mid-Ohio Vair Force right after getting the car, but I can't say as I've been a model member as far as attendance goes.

Dave
Columbus, OH

'66 Monza convertible
'73 Eldorado convertible

[get.google.com]

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: May 24, 2011 06:02AM

I am sure they do some tech sessions, either after the meetings or as a separate event on a Sunday. You should try to learn some of the basics of the car.

Speaking of 'basics' CORSA and the vendors offer the Corvair Basics Handbook too, it and some of Bob Helt's books should be required reading for new owners. Again, good luck with your car.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: May 24, 2011 12:11PM

You may be ok. You may also lose a valve seat down the road. If the engine has origional cast pistons... one of them may fail down the road. But again.... you may be OK. I have seen Corvair engines run like nothing happened after being ran shortly with out fanbelts. I have seen others have problems in just a few hundred miles. If your engine was recently rebuilt properly, you may be ok. It sounds like you may have cought it in time.
From my experience it all depends on how severely the engine got overheated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2011 12:13PM by corventure Dave.

Posted by: curt ()
Date: May 24, 2011 12:31PM

My son drove a Buick, 4 cyl, 1981 Skylark with out a fan belt a long way. The plastic PCV valve melted into the block, The darn car ran fine after that, I sold it to a kid who drove another 12,000 miles, he sold the car, don't know the history after 12,000 miles.

Date: May 24, 2011 02:48PM

Well I just picked it up from the Goodyear place (I've used them a lot for the Caddy and my daily drivers) and other than starting a bit harder than usual, it seems fine. The idle seems a tad lower but that could be my imagination.

Now I'm all paranoid about belt tightness. This new one, which I understand they ordered from NAPA for $29, seems really taut. What will happen if it's not loose enough? And I'm going to order a spare immediately. What would you recommend as the best?

Thanks again, I really appreciate all the help and advice.

Dave
Columbus, OH

'66 Monza convertible
'73 Eldorado convertible

[get.google.com]

Date: May 24, 2011 05:32PM

With the engine COLD... you should be able to slip the alternator on the belt..

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.