Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Clutch adjustment?
Posted by: chdwgn78 ()
Date: May 09, 2011 06:18AM

My clutch on my 3 speed makes a weird noise while siting in neutral. If I barely press down on it the noise goes away. Fixing do dig into my MANUAL (yes Matt it finally came in)! I've heard this can be just a minor adjustment? What do you guys think

Chad Wagner
Paris Tn
1963 Corvair 500

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clutch adjustment?
Date: May 09, 2011 06:33AM

Forgot, it goes into and out of all gears just fine. Shifts smooth as can be!

Chad Wagner
Paris Tn
1963 Corvair 500

Posted by: '66Monza ()
Date: May 09, 2011 11:10AM

a weird noise? More desriptive please. If it sounds anything like a valve tapping, then you have loose flywheel rivets and time to change the flywheel.
That's what mine sounded like and I fooled around with the valves until I "discovered" it went away when I started to press on the clutch, Matt then informed me of my problem.

Kurt
'66 Monza
Former - 110 4sp

NOW - a 1965 140 4sp

Pittsburgh,Pa.

'66 Chevrolet Monza, Cleopatra in the drivewaySmall Corvair RF

Posted by: BritCars ()
Date: May 09, 2011 11:37AM

My car w/its 4-speed also made a rattling noise in neutral, a noise that went away whenever I pushed in on the clutch pedal. It shifted fine, too.

Ron Moller of Maplewood Motors needed only a few seconds of listening to my car to determine that yes, it would need a replacement flywheel. Sure enough, when I had it replaced, the existing flywheel was bad. The noise went away the moment I replaced the flywheel.

Jeff

Jeff Aronson
Vinalhaven, Maine 04863
'66 Corvair Monza Coupe 110 hp 4-speed
'66 Land Rover Series II-A 88" SW
'66 Land Rover Series II-A 88" HT
'80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
'80 Triumph Spitfire
[www.landroverwriter.com]
[www.dirgocorvairs.com]
[roversmagazine.com]

Date: May 10, 2011 04:46PM

Is this a task I can do in a days time with someone helping me?

Chad Wagner
Paris Tn
1963 Corvair 500

Date: May 10, 2011 05:22PM

Replace the Clutch, flywheel, throw out bearing, front seal, bushing, bell house gasket? Unless you have done it before, I would say NO. I did mine all by lonesome last Spring, was my first time doing anything "major" and all in all it took me about 4 or 5 days. Now granted, most of that time was spent planning and getting the car ready to drop the drivetrain. Actually installing the new stuff was the easy part and was done in about an hour. You have to get the whole car up about 28-30" to drop the engine/drivetrain out. The mechanic's manual tells you it's about a 5 hour job I think, and probably someone like Steve Goodman can beat that time. You also have to take into account whether you have 46 year old bolts to get off.

Kurt
'66 Monza
Former - 110 4sp

NOW - a 1965 140 4sp

Pittsburgh,Pa.

Date: May 10, 2011 07:33PM

Im gonna do it in my pals shop. He has several corvairs and is smart when it comes to major maintenance on vairs. We agreed tonight that we'll adjust the clutch to give me a little time to round up the parts. I guess it can't hurt to adjust it. The car drives and shifts great too. If you keep the clutch in you'd never hear anything but the motor running. Do you agree or disagree with the adjustment for a temp fix until I get the parts?

Chad Wagner
Paris Tn
1963 Corvair 500

Posted by: pilot4ifr ()
Date: May 10, 2011 09:30PM

As I stated in a previous post I had 22 man hours in 2 days .. I would just drive it until you have the parts. I drove mine to and from work everyday for a month until I got all the parts. I agree with Kurt . Replace everything while your in there, But do not do what I did .. Get it all sealed up and realized on a time crunch you forgot to put sealer on the flywheel bolts .. I had to take it back apart and do that.. DUHHH!
Just like Kurt said once the drive train is out of the car it goes quick. My problem was not 40 year old bolts as I soaked them with PB every night for a week. My problem was the two cotter pins that broke off and had to be messed with to get them out. one was on the trans mount the other on the throttle linkage.
The other thing I had was on the throttle linkage the little rubber bushing where you pull out the cotter pin was rotted. I found a slightly larger bushing from a transmission linkage at my FLAPS and made it work. So no more slop in the throttle linkage.
Kurt any suggestions that I may have left out??

PILOT4IFR
62 Coupe 700
102hp
4 speed
KC,MO
Photobucket

Date: May 10, 2011 11:00PM

Kurt, so what you listed above is what is recommended I replace while apart? Will you list the parts please as this is my first time so I wanna make sure I have everything once started. Thanks for the info so far Kurt and PILOT4IFR.

Chad Wagner
Paris Tn
1963 Corvair 500

Posted by: Ratt643 ()
Date: May 11, 2011 12:32AM

Sounds like it might be loose rivits in the flywheel!

Date: May 11, 2011 01:24PM

Chad,
I am so glad to be of help. Steve Goodman, Richard, JimC and others on here really helped me with mine. If you do a search on here under "New Clutch Parts" you can see the post I started about a year ago. This is the list I was told to replace, since you are going in there anyway.
(A ) A rebuilt bolted flywheel, (a stepped one for my '66)
(B ) A rebuilt pressure plate
(C) A rebuilt welded clutch disc
(D) Throw-out bearing
(E) Pilot bushing
(F) Oil Pan gasket
(G) Bell Housing gasket
(H) Bell Housing seal
(I) Oil Filter Adapter Gasket
(J) Throw-out shaft seal

I reused my Oil pan gasket, and actually if you are careful you don't have to take the oil pan off, just make sure you don't let anything fall in there. (You do remove the bolts that are towards your Transmission from the oil pan gasket, they go into the bell housing, I believe.) If you have your buddy helping you probably could get the engine out carefully, and not remove the Oil Filter adaptor gasket, I had no help and didn't wanna chance it.
As for the TEMP fix, what is stated above me I also did. Drove it til I could fix it. I think I was told you could probably go for another 1,000 miles pretty safely. I drove from NYC to Pgh with mine like that and made it. Obviously the sooner you install new, the better.

Kurt
'66 Monza
Former - 110 4sp

NOW - a 1965 140 4sp

Pittsburgh,Pa.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2011 01:29PM by '66Monza.

Posted by: pilot4ifr ()
Date: May 11, 2011 09:35PM

Not to pick one vendor , but Clark's sells a gasket kit made just for that . Comes with all the seals and gaskets . If you add a "V" to the kit it will Viton seals
The part is C9321 for the E60-63.. and it is 31.75
Just thought I would help on your search

PILOT4IFR
62 Coupe 700
102hp
4 speed
KC,MO
Photobucket

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.