home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Rocker Cavity
Date: April 28, 2011 02:38PM

I've managed to thoroughly clean out my rocker cavity by snaking in a five foot jury-rigged extention to my shop vac through the access hole in the rear fender well. I'd like to spray some paint or rust converter in the area to prevent any further corrosion. I tried to rig up a sprayer using a garden tank sprayer and some flexible copper tubing, but I couldn't prevent it from leaking all over. Eastwood sells a kit for this purpose, but it appears to have a very short hose.

Any suggestions?

Thx.

Corey Pedersen
Amston, CT
1962 Monza 102 HP Convertible - Restoration Complete
1964 VW Beetle - Restoration Complete
1981 Chevy C-20 - Better Than New!
1951 MG-TD - Newest Addition
Member of Bay State Corvairs and CORSA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rocker Cavity
Posted by: sura ()
Date: April 28, 2011 04:54PM

Corey,

I did this. I used a garden sprayer, cut the tip (about 3" worth) off and spliced in about 5' of rubber tubing so that the sprayer now had a 5' hose extending from the hand trigger. I inserted the tip all the way to the end of the rockers and sprayed de-ruster as I pulled the hose out. Yep, it leaked all over the place. I was happy to see the stuff leaking from the pinch welds. Had newspapers down on the garage floor. After a month or so, I went back and did the same thing with Rustoleum rusty metal primer. IIRC, there's an inner and an outer cavity. Probably added 5 lbs to the car.grinning smiley

Ray in Southern Oregon
'65 Corsa Regal Red
Genuine Minilites

Date: April 29, 2011 05:08AM

Ray, when I said "it leaked all over", I meant from the jury-rigged connections to the tank sprayer. How did you make these connections leak free, so that you could get enough spray pressure to make your rig work?

Corey Pedersen
Amston, CT
1962 Monza 102 HP Convertible - Restoration Complete
1964 VW Beetle - Restoration Complete
1981 Chevy C-20 - Better Than New!
1951 MG-TD - Newest Addition
Member of Bay State Corvairs and CORSA

Posted by: sura ()
Date: May 03, 2011 06:49PM

connecticutcorvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ray, when I said "it leaked all over", I meant
> from the jury-rigged connections to the tank
> sprayer. How did you make these connections leak
> free, so that you could get enough spray pressure
> to make your rig work?

I used hardware wire to wrap the fittings. That way I didn't have hose clamps hanging up inside the rockers.

Ray in Southern Oregon
'65 Corsa Regal Red
Genuine Minilites

Date: May 04, 2011 05:42AM

I followed your plan and it worked well. I used clamps to hold the wand together. I wanted to be sure that they didn't come loose inside the cavity. Thx for the response.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.