Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
where to buy POR-15?
Posted by: Billdozer ()
Date: April 10, 2011 07:36PM

online only? or has anyone found some locally in stores?

Billy T.
Lake Forest, CA
64 Monza Spyder
(non-turbo)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: where to buy POR-15?
Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: April 10, 2011 07:38PM

The automotive paint supplier I use carries it.

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
[www.dirigocorvairs.com]
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

A mirror is a reflection of the miles travelled.

Posted by: JamesyBabyvair ()
Date: April 10, 2011 08:57PM

What is POR-15?

Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: April 10, 2011 09:11PM

Good stuff: [www.por15.com]

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
[www.dirigocorvairs.com]
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

A mirror is a reflection of the miles travelled.

Posted by: MrChips ()
Date: April 10, 2011 09:11PM

Paint
Over
Rust
formula 15

it rocks, but it not UV resistant.

Where Santiago and Live Oak Canyon intersect in Orange County, Ca

Date: April 11, 2011 12:20AM

Would like kragen or autozone carry? What about true value hardware? I am going to do the onside of my doors and been told to use this stuff and maybe apply to the inside of my wheel wells with some sort of chassis paint. Trying to finally clean up my Vair and take good care of her so she keeps me on the road!

Posted by: gmorphan ()
Date: April 11, 2011 12:26AM

I bought a quart of semi-gloss black for $40 on eBay (shipping included), best price I could find. It was at my door two days later. smiling smiley
I wanted to stay away from the gloss, it makes rough surfaces look worse.

[cgi.ebay.com]

Date: April 11, 2011 12:29AM

Seems like you need a gun and do not have one or know much about them except that they are expensive. No rattle can ones?

Posted by: gmorphan ()
Date: April 11, 2011 01:05AM

No gun needed. I just cleaned surfaces of grease and dirt, lightly wirebrushed to get biggies off, then brushed it it on.

Date: April 11, 2011 05:05AM

I think I will do the same!!! I like the idea of using a brush seems simple and also artsy!
Now, the hunt for some awesome POR-15!

Posted by: 65CorsaTurbo ()
Date: April 11, 2011 05:11AM

James, if you decide to spray POR-15, use the proper safety equipment. They don't offer it in spray cans, but there shouldn't be any reason you couldn't use a Preval sprayer. www.preval.com
I believe you can get the sprayer at autobody supply stores or online.

If there are any fair sized auto swap meets near you, check for POR-15. It's nice to see in person what they offer and talk to the rep.

From the POR-15 website:

NOTE: Organic vapor particulate respirators, NIOSH/MSHA approved,
must be used when spraying POR-15.

KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN, PETS, ETC. HARMFUL OR
FATAL IF SWALLOWED. DO NOT USE ON CHILDRENS TOYS WHICH
MAY BE PUT INTO MOUTH. USE IN WELL VENTILATED AREAS ONLY.
Hazardous ingredients: Diphenylmethane Diisocyanate Cas#26447-40-5,
Naptha Petroleum Cas #64742-95-6, Carbon Black Cas #12438-9, Aluminum
Cas #7429-90-5. Contents partially unknown.

The "tip sheets" for their different products on their website really provide a lot of useful information...

They even offer real long "swabs" for reaching into and coating rocker panels etc...Good stuff ~ have fun !

Bill (B.Y)
1965 Corsa 180 (under resto)
1966 500, white/red-Rusty, but runs/drives/stops & is fun !
Pittsburgh, Pa.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2011 05:21AM by 65CorsaTurbo.

Date: April 11, 2011 05:21AM

Sweet thanks!!!
I think I will just use a brush and maybe in the future buy a gun and a compressor! But thanks for the advice and also the warning!!!

Posted by: lostbooger ()
Date: April 11, 2011 05:44AM

FYI about the semi gloss, its hard to get a consistent finish. Might be better if you spray it. Keep that in mind if you are gonna use it anywhere you can see it. The gloss is much easier to get consistent looking finish with a brush in my experience.

With any product you need to do a good job prepping. If its rough and rusty thats better. If it is smooth dont be afraid to sand it with some low grit sandpaper to give it a good tooth to bite. Then of course make sure its clean and oil free. You do it right it will last damn near forever.

Damian

61 Monza 4.3L V6

Posted by: Arkygeo ()
Date: April 11, 2011 12:08PM

The hard part of using POR 15 is to get it off your hands after use. This stuff really sticks. Wear surgical gloves that you can throw away. Also difficult is to reseal the can, if you have some leftover and want to use later. Meticulously clean both the lip of the can and the groove in the can, Otherwise, once resealed and it dries, you can NEVER get the lid off. Take a thin piece of plastic, like that of a sandwich bag and put it under the lid, then press the lid on. Also store the resealed can upside down. this way the lid areas stay wet and you can remove it later.

Posted by: aircooled ()
Date: April 11, 2011 03:24PM

I have been buying a fair amount of stuff from here, they have a full selection of POR stuff (this place sells a lot on eBay also):

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autobodydepot/por15.aspx

They have the 4 oz cans, which can be nice since POR-15 will solidify in the can if you leave it open to long, or it gets to low in the can. If you are not going to use a lot of it at once, the 4 oz is a very good way to go.

POR-15 can be thinned with Lacquer thinner. That is what I did for my early doors recently, thinned it about half, poured it in to the door and tilted the door to spread it. If you are coating the inside of the doors, make sure to clean them a best you can and pour some metal prep in them, as above, to prep the surface.

Tim
Southern California - Where the stars are on the ground and dirt is in the sky

Posted by: Mark M ()
Date: April 11, 2011 04:35PM

Auto paint and body stores carry it. I made sure to buy one can that has 4 little black clips that help hold the lid on. I re-use those on my additional cans and it helps seal them - along with a piece of plastic over the top.

Now, I just buy the pint (half-pint maybe?) cans. With the quart can, even if I pour some out and seal it quickly, there is some dried up on the surface next time I open the can. The small cans are more expensive, but I think it is a wash with the waste of the larger cans.

Mark M
Project: 64 Spyder Vert running 80 hp heads and carbs
1st Vair: 65 Corsa 140
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

"If it's not broken, you're not driving it hard enough"

Posted by: mike hicks ()
Date: April 11, 2011 04:45PM

people have come close to dying from spraying POR. I think it's the thinner you have to use but in any case, just brush it on.

A local FLAPS may have it but they typically do not.

I've had mixed results with it. Some things I've used it on are still good and others have rusted through and/or had the POR peel off. Probably poor prep but it does say "paint over rust" so I'm not sure.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: April 11, 2011 04:45PM

I've ordered stuff from TCP global (a network of small companies) and the service has been good. I've ordered body supplies, HLVP spray guns, paint.

For 60's custom mix paint - you have to call the store in San Diego direct, but they did a great job mixing paint for me.

Posted by: eds ()
Date: April 11, 2011 07:54PM

mike hicks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> people have come close to dying from spraying POR.

Yeah - when I was researching the stuff it was made pretty clear that brushing was the recommended application, and that if you spray you had better be VERY careful about ventilations and other precautions.

Posted by: ColoradoJustin ()
Date: April 11, 2011 07:57PM

Also check out chassis savers. I used it on my turbo and love the stuff. Looks great. Durability - also used it on my wash pan. Had gasoline in it filled to the top for 2 weeks and it still looks like the same as the day I painted it.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.