Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
1966 Dual circuit Master Cylinder lines.
Date: April 06, 2011 11:45PM

I know, I could order the kit from the vendors and use a common 1967-69 style M/C like others have, but I have a 1966 Corsa with most of the goodies from the factory that make a Stinger. Missing of course is the COPO brake installation that Don Yenko somehow convinced Chevrolet to install on 100 1966 Corsas. It's that dual M/C that I want on my car. It was ahead of the curve...

So how to accomplish this?
I found that getting a 1966 Cadillac M/C was fairly easy. I bought mine online. When I got it on the bench to look it over, I was very happy to see it looks exactly like the one in the picture above of a real Stinger. I found a real bottle neck in installing it, however. The Cadillac used 5/16 in. brake line tubing and the Corvalr used 1/4 in. tubing.
Uh-Oh! I know that Chevrolet made this work 45+ years ago, but how am I to make the same conversion look "stock" today??

After many hours spent researching and looking at various places around town and online, I was still stumped. It's still pretty easy to find ordinary SAE hardware itself, such as the correct brake line nuts for 5/16 or 1/4 inch but trying to find a nut that accommodated the 1/4 inch OD line with a 1/2 20tpi nut to thread into the Cadillac M/C was proving to be difficult.
I even called Michael LeVeque to find out what insight he might have. He seemed to remember that an older Chevy truck had a nut that might work.
So, I lifted the hood of my 1966 Suburban and had a look. Mine has been converted by the P.O. to dual circuit power brakes, and I'm not sure what the system is out of, but I did have a larger nut with the smaller line installed.
That lead to another trip to NAPA and armed with the info, I came up with an adapter brake line that will work perfectly for my conversion.

Here is the one!!

I'm amazed that even though I was told that the nut I needed didn't exist, I was able to find the exact part I needed to do what Chevrolet did in a local auto parts store 45+ years later.
YEA!!
NAPA part # 813-1159

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1966 Dual circuit Master Cylinder lines.
Posted by: SSpeed66 ()
Date: April 07, 2011 12:17AM

Good Stuff !thumbs up I had no idea adaptor lines were availableeye rolling smiley

Al Macaulay - Okanagan Valley, BC
Western Canada Corsa

Link to my Corsa build- [corvaircenter.com]
Link to my Cobra boat Project- [www.sidewinder-boats.com]

66 Corsa 140 HT - 402BBC/Turbo 425, 66 CDN Corsa 'Vert 140, 79 Cobra 16SS/Merc 1500, 69 Triumph Trident Chopper, 67 BSA Lightning Custom
Cobra Custom Metal Design/ God Bless Canada

Posted by: bjbuchanan ()
Date: April 07, 2011 12:50AM

Yeah if you go to autozone or anything like that they won't have it but a local speed shop will basically be guaranteed to have it even if the parts guy doesn't know it himself (my case atleast)

That line is the same one that the 67 dual MC uses too, its common and stumped the hell outta me too when i checked it out on mine

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: April 08, 2011 08:57AM

Thanks Dan - Another place to look for "adapter" hardware is at the Plews-Edelmann (formely Edelmann) site. They have a HUGE .pdf catalog. Part of it is devoted to automobile brake line fittings. Takes a little hunting, but they have some interesting parts. See [www.plews-edelmann.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.