Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
American Flat 6

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Sylvania vs. GE Halogen
Posted by: curt ()
Date: April 02, 2011 11:57PM

There is a bid difference in cost of these brands, Sylvania & GE. I suspect they are of equal brightness, etc. Any thoughts or experience you can share?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sylvania vs. GE Halogen
Posted by: rnch ()
Date: April 03, 2011 12:16AM

i know the one remaining T3 headlight i have is D I M compared to my new camry's headlights!

wasn't the sylvania "silver series " supposed to be the brightest of the drop in replacements?

Posted by: jimc ()
Date: April 03, 2011 12:28AM

Are you comparing sealed beams or a replaceable bulb such as an H4?

I had little experience with GE, but I can share some info on Sylvania's.

My S10 has had really bad lights for night driving. I tried replacing the original sealed beams with Sylvania sealed beams but that was not much help.

So, I purchased a reflector lens on the internet with a generic 65/55- H4 bulbs. This required only changing the wiring pigtail at the lamp, due to the difference in two to three prong hookup.

They were not much help, so I upgraded to 95/85 Pia's H4 bulbs, but those were only marginally better than the old Sylvania sealed Beams and I was told that that 95/85s were the hottest I could install without going to HID's. I could have installed auxiliary driving lights but wanted to stick with stock headlight locations.

Still not happy, on a whim I replaced them with Sylvania Silver Star H4's and now I can actually see now at night in the S10.

The Sylvania Silver Stars are not cheap, I paid around $45 for the pair of high/low bulbs, but got a $10 rebate at the time.

So far they have been the best.

jimc
1965 Corsa
1996 S10
Missouri

Posted by: rnch ()
Date: April 03, 2011 12:32AM

i was referring to sealed beam replacements.

can the wiring on a LM and it's alternator handle anything stronger than sealed beams?

Posted by: acardon ()
Date: April 03, 2011 12:48AM

Are both of them made in China?

can the wiring on a LM and it's alternator handle anything stronger than sealed beams?
The light switch has a thernal breaker that will probably trip with the H4's. The wiring to the headlights is small also. Best to install relays and run them off the horn relay power circuit.

The Trunk Belongs in Front, Ask Any Elephant
Caution: Images in This Mirror May be Waterpumpers
Don
NTCA....DFW,TEXAS
66 Monza 1 owner

Posted by: curt ()
Date: April 03, 2011 01:43AM

My car has four Halogen lights, 5001 & 5006. They have the three 'tips' on the glass.These four bulbs came on the car when I purchased it, July 20010.
New Question,How does one set the bulbs higher? I have them to the end of travel on the adjusters.
My alternator seems to handle the amperage when I used them about 60 minutes last week. The switch did not heat, and they did not dim.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.