Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rustoleum paint job pro's and cons
Posted by: danyarger ()
Date: March 31, 2011 02:50AM

When you roll rustoleum you must thin it out with generic paint thinner. This is why the labor is so much. You have to build up and wet color sand with a paint stick about every 2 layers. Don't roll it on without thinning it out because it will take weeks to dry and wont lay flat. The number of layers is dependant on what color is underneith whether it be old paint or primer. The thinner is what lays the paint out flat but too much thinner will take out the gloss, too little and it wont dry properly. You never want to do a job like this for profit, because it takes too long but for your own car it's the way to go especially if you don't have much money like me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bought1 ()
Date: March 31, 2011 03:30AM

I can't find it now of course, but I saw a vid on the Interweb of a guy who thinned his rustoleum with mineral spirits. He showed the thinned paint and it was pretty thin. The job came out very nice.

Dave

Posted by: VegasVair ()
Date: March 31, 2011 04:12AM

I thinned with low odor mineral spirits. There's a fine line between too much
thinner (too runny) and too little thinner (mucho orange peel), but when you're
rolling the paint it's easy to stop for a few minutes and add a little thinner or add
a little more paint.

I don't know if it helped or not, but I started out fresh every morning.
I never used "yesterday's paint". Always used new rollers and foam brushes
every day and a new paint mix.

65 Corsa 140/4 A/C convert.
CORSA+Vegas Vairs

Posted by: Setterz54 ()
Date: April 01, 2011 12:20AM

Can anyone give proportions of paint to thinner. Like 1 quart paint to 1/4 thinner or something like that? Just need a baseline to start.Thanks

Setterz54
Fulton,MD.

Date: April 01, 2011 01:12AM

watch this video: [www.youtube.com] Doesn't give EXACT measurement, but you'll get a good feel for how it works. Pretty neat.

Dave

Posted by: mrtrimmier ()
Date: April 02, 2011 01:31PM

the Van Sickle tractor paint site offers both primer and hardner for use with their stuff and has some pretty cool colors.
Just sayin.....

Regards,
Mike T
Lady's Island S.C.

Black '65 CORSA "parts" car ("RatVair") '65 CORSA Weber/180 ("Whitey") '60 500 Sedan ("Smurf Surf Sedan")

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: April 02, 2011 02:09PM

Way back I had a neighbor with a Greenbriar - it was his family truck, he was not really a Corvair guy; I shuddered when he said he was going to brush paint it. The result was amazing. It was glossy as if it were sprayed and buffed! The trick, he said, was an excellent brush, proper thinning and a cool, wind-free morning.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
66 Red Monza 2dr 140/4 EFI 60k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Cypress Green Monza 140/4 4dr
65 White 4-dr 110/AC/PG (parts)

19 Tons of parts in boxes

Posted by: Radio Joe ()
Date: April 03, 2011 02:37AM

My Roller job looked great at first, but I must have done something wrong. Seems to not have stuck right. The roof and hood mostly started little bubbles that lifted up.. still that way today. Overall still OK but I dont think it held up very well.

I did however SPRAY semi-gloss rustoleum on my 66 plymouth and it has held up MUCH better. Pretty tough and only places it chipped is where rocks hit or on the lower rear corner where i have soem rust coming through.

Laurens, SC

Photobucket

www.joesclassiccarradio.com

Posted by: surlyoldbill ()
Date: April 03, 2011 06:13AM

I'm not familiar with "rolling". Are you guys actually using house paint rollers? How well does the rustoleum self-level when you use a roller? I've used the fine foam mini rollers when doing cabinet work, so I know you can get a pretty smooth finish, but I never thought about doing a car! How much buffing is required? HOW do you buff those vents and crevices?

Date: April 03, 2011 11:51AM

The process is done with the mini foam rollers and A LOT of patience since you have a ton of wet sanding to do between coats for the best possible finish.

Dave

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.