Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Shift coupler improvement.
Posted by: Johnniespeed ()
Date: March 21, 2011 10:38AM

Yes the steering coupler has grease seals, but no grease fittings. Borgeson,Flaming River, Randy Sweet all have the steering universal joints and you can also get them with the rubber vibration damper.
I had several new joints laying around, Versa/Sentra and Prius/Camry are pretty much identical.
The trans shaft is about .560"-.561" OD and very hard. The original thought was to ream pin hole oversize and use oversize pin.Second thought was to use two pointed set screws in place of the pin.Third thought was collett type clamp. The real issue is not the coupler looseness,easy to replace, but the trans selector shaft pin hole fit.

John

1962 Rampside
Powered by Injected Vortec 4.3

Sunny Suburban Sparta Michigan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: March 21, 2011 12:38PM

This is my exact plan to shift the 915!!

Paso Robles CA and Palmtuckey CA-Unsafe At Any Landspeed-Sidewinders (est 1938) CORSA Member-Corsa West-High Desert Corvairs Corvanatic-Ventura County Corvair-Central Coast Corsa-Angel Fan Since 1978...HALO POWER!! So Cal Gas Since 1974 (retired) L/M Landspeed 3L/915 T04B methanol Coupe-65 Corsa-62 Rampside(2)-B&M Blown Mid Engine Funco Sandrail-Next Build L/M ADE/BBC/PG/QC Street Racer-Diesel Streamliner 7.3IDI/C6/GV/9" Dream-1939 Lincoln Zephyr V12-Vehicles in My Possession...12

Attachments:
Date: March 22, 2011 02:39AM

Phil
I hope you have the record winning fastest shifter. To visit Bonneville on speed week is a bucket list goal of mine, then scoot over to Glamis for some dune action. Good to have goals.

John

1962 Rampside

Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: March 22, 2011 05:21AM

I notice that you seem to have eliminated any fore and aft adjustability. Does anyone know if that will
ever be an issue down the road? Was there a reason the factory had the capacity to adjust? I would think
you can get away with it that way as long as nothing changes much.

Date: March 22, 2011 10:54AM

This has the full fore and aft adjustment exactly like original. This is on a Forward Control ( Rampside,Loadside,Greenbier,Corvan,) The adjustment is on the front end of the shift shaft.
If I were adressing a car issue, I would have included the adjustment in my solution as I like to be able to make fine adjustments. Also note the shift coupler is welded onto the shift shaft originally,from the factory, on the FC models.

John

1962 Rampside

Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: March 22, 2011 02:06PM

John, I don’t mean to hi-jack your thread. I like to learn a little more about the FC shift linkage.

I had to start moving all my parts cars a few days ago.

Long story short - when I got to the 61 Van, I shook the shifter and thought I was in "N" I went to pull it out of where it had sat for the past couple of years.

After a while I notice it was not rolling well. I then saw one wheel dragging in the earth.

My shifter has so much play in it - which it felt like it was in "N" when it was in gear.

I know nothing about FC linage - is there bushing up front - or is all of the play from what you have modified?

Thanks, Tony

Date: March 22, 2011 10:51PM

OttawaCorvairGuy
I dont consider anything to be hijacked, we are just a bunch of guys talking about making our Corvairs the best they can be.
There are two types of FC shifters, the early model 1961-62 ( also known as the mystery shifter) and the late model 1964-65. I dont know which one 1963 uses as my 63 Rampside was an automatic.
I personally prefer the early style as I am able to get those to feel the tightest, but most others dislike the early,as they have not discovered how to rebush and shim them yet.
The 64-65 type shifter has a hole in the gas tank for the shift rod to pass through, I call that the "Holy Tank". 61-62 shifters can use either tank but came without the hole from the factory. Even after rebushing the late style, I think that type feels sloppy.
Clarks catalog has pictures of each style.
To answer your question more directly, every joint,every pin, every bore becomes worn on these shifters. What I have done is ream the bores oversize and press in bushings, I shim the sides of the shift lever too. Below the shift lever is a part that looks like a smoking pipe. I make a housing that holds three bearings to allow the shift rod to glide in bearings but yet rotate in a bronze bushing. All of that was very simple and easy, but the part that challenged me was how to get rid of the sloppy pin fit in the transmission selector shaft. As I stated before my original thought was to ream the transmission shaft oversize and use a larger pin, but the selector shaft is very hard, I practiced using a pencil grinder to no avail,I no longer have access to an EDM machine, so the second thought was to use two opposing,pointed set screws,but that did not allow two axis misalignment.
I think any time you can reduce a loose fit the shift feel will be improved. What I did was lay the entire shifting mechanism on my bench from the shift knob all the way back including a transmission, then I studied each part to determine how to eliminate wear,slop and looseness.
Sharing my newfound information is my way of trying to help others.

John

1962 Rampside

Posted by: mechanicalman ()
Date: August 25, 2011 06:12AM

i saw this thread and RAN to the junkyard to replicate it!

I got my joint from a subaru, cut the original shift coupler roughly in half and welded it to the universal joint. With this setup, I can still adjust and disassemble the shifter tube.

Really happy with how tight the shifter is now.

=================================================

'65 Black Monza Coupe w/black interior
110HP w/4-spd

Greetings from Oakland, CA!

no trim badges anywhere (and there never will be!)

Attachments:
Posted by: UGLYTRUK ()
Date: August 25, 2011 06:19AM

NICE!!!

Date: August 25, 2011 10:47AM

The best part of this mod, is that the coupler is locked tight onto the transmission shift shaft, no movement, no slop. Universal joint allows misalignment in every direction.

John

1962 Rampside