Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
What to look for when buying a corvair? confused smiley
Posted by: JayHart ()
Date: March 11, 2011 03:52AM

Well, I was reading a post in another thread: [corvaircenter.com]

1966-Corsa-GT-180 mentioned to "Check those rocker-panel boxes carefully - they rot from the inside out"

It got me thinking... with all you experts out there. has anyone ever put together a list of things to look at (for) when buying a LM Corvair?

I tried a search and only had about 402 pages of results to go through! eye popping smiley

Anyway, I got to thinking, How does a fella actually go about checking those rocker panel boxes? I started a new thread so I don't hijack that one.

What else should someone look for when contemplating a purchase?

Thanks for any assistance in this area.
Jay

Hope Valley,
Rhode Island

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2011 03:53AM by JayHart.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What to look for when buying a corvair? confused smiley
Posted by: 52bagman ()
Date: March 11, 2011 03:59AM

In my searching I always go as far WEST as I can afford,when I stay local or EAST it takes ten cars to make one good one. GGGGG

Sam C. Saunders,Pt. Pleasant WV
68 500 cp 95 pg ash gold
66 Monza cp 110 4spd black
68 500 cp 95 3spd blue "DAIRY QUEEN CAR"

1 link2 linkPhotobucket

Posted by: mike hicks ()
Date: March 11, 2011 04:04AM

There are holes with plastic covers in each wheel well that open to the rocker innards. You might could shine a light in there and look. If you had my car, you could just look the huge gaping hole that rusted through in three of the four ends. The insides look reasonable but the ends are gone. The big holes do make it easier to blast them clean with fresh water from time to time.

Posted by: 65sprint ()
Date: March 11, 2011 04:05AM

Well if it's a convertible, one thing would be to lift up the bottom of the back seat and see if the sheetmetal under the back seat isn't rusted out. If I remember, there are two plastic drain plugs under there, and in wet climates it's best just to leave them out to prevent build up of water under the back seat. And the reason to check under there is because the mounting point for the throttle assembly is under there.

I was looking to buy a convertible that had a ripped top, and when I sat in the car and put my foot on the gas pedal, it went down and didn't come back up. So I crawled around under the car and followed the linkage and found that the mounting point under the back seat bottom had totally rusted out and the assembly was hanging. I also noticed that the two drain plugs under the seat were never removed either.

So after I bought the car, I put in a new sheetmetal mounting area under the seat, took out the two drain plugs and left them under the seat, then lubed up the whole throttle linkage. It worked great after that...

Date: March 11, 2011 04:15AM

Corvair Buyers Guide

Dan Davis - Seattle ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ 65 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn (my current driver!!)
~ 1964 Monza 'Vert ~ 65 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black int ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4
1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: March 11, 2011 04:50AM

52bagman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In my searching I always go as far WEST as I can
> afford,when I stay local or EAST it takes ten cars
> to make one good one. GGGGG

Well you dont want to go too far west,I have seen alot of Pacific ocean cars in San Fransico and LA that were rust buckets,,the best cars can be found from the ca High desert/mojave to arizona/nevada and utah,the dryer climate states,,When I go hunting I always look fo completness of the car,,meaning its all there,so much easyer to restore if you have all the parts,but desert cars you can expect the plastic and seats and rubber to be rotted most times and full of dirt spiders and mice,,I would much rather replace the interior and rubber pieces than deal with rust any day of the week,,in my area there are alot of corvairs and just old cars in general sitting in the desert on a ranch or farm just begging for some attention,,right across the street from me is a old guy with probly 60 old cars of all makes and models and they sit,,he wont sell any of them,,he has a 57 chevy nomad and sedan delivery I been trying to get from him for 20 years,,he is going to restore them,,he is 80,,but I always make sure I am good friends with his wife!! Desert dwelers are funny criters,,the sun bakes your brain after a while!! GGG

Posted by: BritCars ()
Date: March 11, 2011 01:26PM

The best summations of what to look for are in the "Corvair Basics" book, edited by Bob Helt and published by CORSA.

Avoid doing what I did, which was to accept an offer to test drive a "for sale" '66 Corvair, because no matter how poorly it ran or stopped you will be seduced into buying it. Only then will you realize how expensive and challenging body work really is, but now you're in love with the car so you keep chipping away at improving it while looking for every excuse to take the Corvair on every trip.

Jeff

Jeff Aronson
Vinalhaven, Maine 04863
'66 Corvair Monza Coupe 110 hp 4-speed
'66 Land Rover Series II-A 88" SW
'66 Land Rover Series II-A 88" HT
'80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
'80 Triumph Spitfire
[www.landroverwriter.com]
[www.dirgocorvairs.com]
[roversmagazine.com]

Posted by: malibusled ()
Date: March 11, 2011 01:58PM

Make sure you look at where the upper fender meets the bottom of the windshield.
If it's starting to bubble there, then you know your into, upper fender, windshield valence and lower fender, maybe rocker too.

They all go together, it's usually from plugged drain holes.

Ed Bartlett
1961 Corvair 95 Rampside 110 4 Speed
1964 Corvair Monza Coupe 110/PG
1964 Corvair Monza Convertible 95 PG
1965 Corvair Monza Coupe 140/4 Speed Conversion - Oshawa Built
1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible 180 Turbo - Oshawa Built
Bobcaygeon, ON Canada

Date: March 11, 2011 06:52PM

Thanks fellas, That is just what I was looking for... sound advice on what to check. That list looks like a good asset to use. Obviously all points of the list will not work for all cars, as some cars may not be running. I have not read that list through (completely) yet, but it appears to be very well thought out.

I appreciate all the help.

Jay

Hope Valley,
Rhode Island

Posted by: lgoodwin ()
Date: March 11, 2011 07:33PM

Make sure it's a Corvair, and not one of these! ;-}

Chevrolet Monza:

Camaro:

Chevelle:

Chevrolet Corvette:
[image.chevyhiperformance.com]

...then again, if it IS any except the first one, you might just want to buy it anyway...

1962 Corvair 900 sedan1967 Corvair Monza 140/4-speed1968 Corvair 500 coupe1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0
1962 900 sedan needs a home1967 Monza 140/4-spd1968 500 coupe (now my son's)1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0

Posted by: firevair66 ()
Date: March 11, 2011 10:39PM

Rest easy and get the best , buy it from me , nothing but top shelf.

John Shoemaker,Riegelsville,PA.
61 Rampside full custom show truck
65 Monza 110/4 vert driver
65 Full Custom Monza 140 Cp
66 Corsa FITCH SPRINT Documented ( in Process,recondition)
66 CorV8 350 "firevair"Custom Show

Date: March 11, 2011 10:41PM

lgoodwin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Make sure it's a Corvair, and not one of these!
> ;-}
>
> Chevrolet Monza:
>
>

Um.... Yah.... That belongs in the what to look OUT for when buying a Chevy Vega. No problem with me getting either mixed up with a Corvair.

If I could score a '68 Camaro, an SS Chevelle, or a Stingray for what the asking price is for a Corvair in the same shape, I might have trouble not picking either of those up.

Hope Valley,
Rhode Island

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2011 10:44PM by JayHart.

Posted by: bought1 ()
Date: March 11, 2011 11:00PM

Nope, that's a Monza also. Not a vega. I had one of those things when I was 17. HAd to Dukes of Hazard it to get in since the driver's door was stuckl shut. Also had a bad head gasket and required constant watering to keep it going. Could not get rid of that POS fast enough...

Dave

Posted by: rnch ()
Date: March 12, 2011 12:17AM

even my laetst vair, a life-long southern CA car, has rust in the bottom front fenders, from leaves piling up.

"flush and dry" rocker panels....mah azzzzzz!!!! eye popping smiley

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: March 12, 2011 12:31AM

One place I typically look first is the door hinge area especially above the bottom hinge. There is a lot of metal in that area and having to repair that area would be quite difficult. It also gives me an idea about the condition of the car overall.

1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: March 12, 2011 01:24AM

That old gas station the chevelle was next to is Right down the road from me about 10 min,,Lots of car pics and movies made therethumbs up

Email me at: Dave Motohead
Visit My web site(Under Construction)
Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
-----------------------------------
I AM THE GRIM REAPER FOR OLD CARS!
-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: aeroned ()
Date: March 13, 2011 03:36PM

Silver paint and dark blue stripes...

[corvaircenter.com]

Ned

Date: March 13, 2011 08:05PM

Ned, I saw your pristine beauty when you posted her. Sorry you've decided to part with her, but understand about college.

I wish I was in a position to buy her, but she's out of my price range. I'll have to concentrate on looking for something that's solid enough that can take a little work I guess.

Best,
Jay

Hope Valley,
Rhode Island

Posted by: bsa1963 ()
Date: November 08, 2013 01:25AM

Good info, but how much applies to the EMs? Is that a whole other set of problems?

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 08, 2013 01:31AM

All of it!! Basically the same cars / construction EM /FC /LM

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.