Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Wheels and Tires sitting in garage, still good?
Posted by: Billdozer ()
Date: March 10, 2011 08:20AM

I've had a set of brand new wheels and tires stacked in my garage for about 6 years now. Would there be any problem using them when the time comes?

Billy T.
Lake Forest, CA
64 Monza Spyder
(non-turbo)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wheels and Tires sitting in garage, still good?
Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: March 10, 2011 09:13AM

tires are probably going to be harder and slicker that when new.

Marco Padilla - Realtor BRE#01944189

Century 21 Crest
1501 West Magnolia Blvd
Burbank, CA 91506
213-272-3239 Cell

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: March 10, 2011 10:40AM

tires could fail. 6 to 7 years is normally considered max. I once bought a set of tires that was several years old without realizing it (from a store). on my first weekend trip I through the tread off of 3 of the 6.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: jrdriver8 ()
Date: March 10, 2011 11:22AM

It will depend. If they have been stored in a dry area out of light, they probably are fine. The risk is dry rotting and cracks. I have used older tires and never had a problem. For a limited use car such as my Corvair, one that does not travel at extended high speeds I would not be too worried myself.

Posted by: '66Monza ()
Date: March 10, 2011 11:40AM

My daily driver still has one of it's original tires left on it. (It's and '89 Acclaim) It is showing signs of dry rot on the sidewall, so I am going to replace it soon. As jrdriver8 says, if you aren't driving it on the highway for extended speeds, they'll probably be fine.

Kurt
'66 Monza
110 4sp

Pittsburgh,Pa.

'66 Chevrolet Monza, Cleopatra in the drivewaySmall Corvair RF

Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: March 10, 2011 12:40PM

You should probably verify the date code because they could very well be MORE than 6 years old....

Is your safety worth the cost of new tires?

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia
CORSA Eastern Division Director

Click here for the slideshow of my '69 Monza vert

1962 Rampside - ORANGE - Driving & showing it
1964 Monza Convertible - WHITE - In pieces awaiting restoration
1969 Monza Convertible - AZTEC BRONZE - Driving & showing it

Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: March 10, 2011 12:59PM

That's the question I recently answered with my now-out-out-of-group-red!!! Corsa. Tires looked perfect, less than 3,000 miles, but one had gone flat and sat on sidewall for some time. Was going to replace that one for sure. Then realized they are all 15 years old. Replaced them all, kept one to become the spare.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: March 10, 2011 03:30PM

We have talked about it before - there are about 10,000 factors that go into whether a tire is still good after sitting. Weather exposure, light, humidity...

A good rule of thumb - 8-10 years. That being said, I have tires that are over 10 years on my Brier, the durometer is still good, wear is even, and I am not worried.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: wagbear ()
Date: March 10, 2011 03:41PM

After 8 years I'd be a little concerned.... look for ANY spider cracking on the sidewalls on both sides.

WAGBEAR
1961 Lakewood
Chehalis, Washington
( South of Canada...North of Mexico....Near Olympia ; Planet Earth . smiling smiley

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: March 10, 2011 04:44PM

I just skimmed through the NHTSA report on the subject. Two things jumped out: 1) On road use, particularly in hot climates is where degradation happens and it looks like the 8-year number is accurate for very hot climates. 2) Stored tires (spares) did not degrade significantly over the same period.

Heat cycling was deemed to be the culprit.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
66 Red Monza 2dr 140/4 EFI 60k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Cypress Green Monza 140/4 4dr
65 White 4-dr 110/AC/PG (parts)

19 Tons of parts in boxes

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: March 10, 2011 05:25PM

Craig is right - heat cycling, combined with Ozone (the yellowish blue haze that seems to stick to tires after sitting in traffic) cause a significant portion of damage that causes shorter tire life.

As a fomer Quality Engineer for a major tire company, I have some knowledge in the area of tire inspection - which is why I am comfortable on my 10 year old tires, but I know them inside and out.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: March 11, 2011 02:51AM

I had some Michelins I bought new for my minivan. After 4 years, and about 8000 miles, all 4 had good tread, but all were showing cracks in the grooves of the tread. They pro-rated them, but had to replace with same brand and cost me another $100 for the replacement. Never had tires go bad so quick.

On the other hand, I'm still running 3 digit date codes on one of my AMC Eagles. The tread is hard, but shows no signs of cracking or spidering anywhere. I guess that's stretching it, since they were made in '99 IIRC.

All of my cars are freeway drivers, even the real old ones. Cruising at 70 mph is common.

Kevin
Medina, OH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.