Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Monster vair powered VW bus
Posted by: DrEvil ()
Date: February 26, 2011 02:08AM

Hello Corvair fans!

I havent been around here for a loooooong time. Work, life, trying to keep my hobbies down to a manageable number, giving up on that task all together. If it were not for this place I would have been very lost when I first had the idea to put a 140 in my 914....this did not happen, though.

Originally I respected the corvair and was fond of it. I was also fond of the 914 and it only made sense to add one to the other. I found Mark Langford's AWESOME site on putting a hotrodded engine in his airplane. Once I saw the VW p/c installation I had to do it. I also found the Mighty Mouse 3.2L (later corrected to state 3.1L) site to help with the madness.

Back in about 02-03 I started in on a 3.1 VW/Vair monster. I got it all machined over about the course of a year for almost nothing as I always tell the machine shops to take their time which means I will be making friends with them which translates in to savings. But, it takes forever. The parts got finished right about the time a 2.7L Porsche 6 was given to me for free....no such thing, I did have to rebuild it ($$$). I sold all of my vair stuff on ebay and went the proven design of the Porsche engine as I was concerned I would not be able to finish the corvair design in time before I moved across country for medical school.

Fast forward to the future:

I am in medical school and find a need for a VW bus. I can not explain it, it just is. But, the bus is pathetically underpowered. It was a no brainer that a corvair engine must be installed. I, of course, was not the first to think of this. Most notable of the contemporary pioneers is Mike Hill's vair bus which is not only perfectly engineered, but good looking to boot.

But, I had already sourced out and had the machine work done on my parts before, so I did another 3.1 build. I found a machine shop in Harrisburg, PA (I was going to Penn State) named Feazers that has been in business for about 80 years, was family owned and operated, and is used to working on exotic things. I had them cut the barrels for me, machine the case, rods, etc.

The candidate for the transplant was a 74 bus. I intend to put a westy top on it in the near future, but for now it is just a nice bus.

What I did:

Engine - 140 with nitrided crank, 94mm VW p/c, 3.1L displacement. Heads were odd. I bought what I thought were rebuilt 110 heads off of ebay that had extra ports put on and had the bases rotated. I found that they were older heads with 110 seats put in. I wanted the 110 valves to protect from seat drop...I gave up after the first 1500 miles...more late on this. So, these heads are nice, and have the modern springs, 4 ports, and 110 valve stuff. I will be selling them as soon as I have a buyer since I changed everything.

Fuel - holley 4bbl 390cfm with attempted "Dial-a-mile" set up that made it run pig rich. I should have just put the straight carb on with no widgets and run it. No matter this is changing. I got great power with this, but it still needed tweaking. The adapter for the Holley had an oil line running through it from the block to heat up the intake air.

Trans - I completely rebuilt the PG and checked the diff. Changed this later as well. The original kept leaking fluid, pissing me off. I had to buy a new shift cable.

Diff - originally a 3.55 posi unit that the posi quickly died in.

Now, I drove this from one side of PA to the other, to MD, on the mountains, at 80mph up and down. It was great. It did not over heat (pig rich helped), and I put on an external cooler with fan.

I have decided that I want more, though. I bought tri ported 140 heads with manifolds, I have a CIS system for a 3.0 porsche 6 that I am putting on it, changed diff to 3.27 from 3.55, Al tranny pan, rebuilt the diff and posi. I am in the process of rebuilding it all right now.

Pics soon to come.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Washington, PA 15301

Mad scientist creator of a 3.1 vair engine with VW p/c, 140 triported heads, CIS injection, PG with posi, 3.27 r/p all installed in a 74 VW bus. smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Monster vair powered VW bus
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 26, 2011 02:53AM

Sounds like a fun vehicle!

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Date: February 26, 2011 03:24AM

Welcome, Doctor! Definitely need PICS - soon!
Ya know ya coulda just bought a Greenbriar!! :>winking smiley

Corvanatics
to host the 2014 CorSA Int'l Convention July 21 to 25 at LeMay "America's Car Museum" - Be There!!
Dan Davis - Seattle ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ 65 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn (my current driver!!)
~ 1964 Monza 'Vert ~ 65 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black int ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4
1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: February 26, 2011 04:12AM

A Greenbriar, although a great vehicle, is not a westy VW bus smiling smiley

For a very long thread on my other forum, 914World, that covers it from start to now. There is some questionable comedy and remarks so if you are sensitive, be warned.
[www.914world.com]

Lots of pics. I am not familiar with this forum's software so I need to see how to post pics.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Washington, PA 15301

Mad scientist creator of a 3.1 vair engine with VW p/c, 140 triported heads, CIS injection, PG with posi, 3.27 r/p all installed in a 74 VW bus. smiling smiley

Date: February 26, 2011 04:15AM

How do you all post pics? Must they be hosted somewhere else?

Washington, PA 15301

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: February 26, 2011 04:23AM

No. Look at the sticky FAQ.

Date: February 26, 2011 04:31AM

Well, if you wanted me to RTFI then they should have been named TFI grinning smiley I am on it, thanks. Do you guys fight to be the first person to tell the new folks that? winking smiley

Washington, PA 15301

Date: February 26, 2011 04:35AM

Test, this is the trolley I built to drop the drive train and the drive train smiling smiley

Washington, PA 15301

Date: February 26, 2011 04:47AM

Here is the heart right before installation. I went to AN fittings and braided hose shortly after the initial test runs on the bench out of need for security.

Washington, PA 15301

Date: February 26, 2011 04:48AM

The engine in place, before I fabbed the tin.

Washington, PA 15301

Date: February 26, 2011 04:51AM

Hanging on engineered engine mount. We used the original mount on the end bolts, and welded brackets into the bumper mounts. Easy smiling smiley

Washington, PA 15301

Date: February 26, 2011 04:52AM

I forgot to mention, I installed a cooler on the trans.

Washington, PA 15301

Date: February 26, 2011 05:01AM

Man, it cant believe some of the things that I forgot to mention. I also raised the bus, put larger wheels and tires on it, and coil over shox all around. It rides nice, and high. I also put the exhaust exiting ahead of the rear wheels. One, it looks cool (I think), and two it keeps the heat away from the engine bay. Lower heat saturation, or so I am believing. The other conversions have all the stuff tucked neatly in one area like an oven.

Here is a vid of our first run.
3.1 engine test run

Washington, PA 15301

Date: February 26, 2011 05:18AM

Full side

Washington, PA 15301

Date: February 26, 2011 05:21AM

Tranz cooler pics. I had a hard time finding out which was out and which in. Still not sure.

And one of some of the AN stainless stuff.

Washington, PA 15301

Posted by: lgoodwin ()
Date: February 26, 2011 10:18AM

Nice! Now post a vid of you doing burnouts!

1962 Corvair 900 sedan1967 Corvair Monza 140/4-speed1968 Corvair 500 coupe1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0
1962 900 sedan needs a home1967 Monza 140/4-spd1968 500 coupe (now my son's)1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0

Date: February 26, 2011 03:18PM

It would be neat to be able to do burn outs, but in the original configuration and tune it was not able to. If it can in its next iteration you can bet I will take video smiling smiley

Washington, PA 15301

Posted by: cad-kid ()
Date: February 26, 2011 03:43PM

Well Done!

Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
CORSA Member#031129
65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread

Posted by: Johnniespeed ()
Date: February 26, 2011 03:57PM

Cool project, do you have any pictures of the triported heads and the CIS ?

John

Snowy Sparta Michigan.

Date: February 26, 2011 04:05PM

I still have to build the CIS to mate to the engine. I can take a pic of the heads later, though.

Washington, PA 15301

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.