Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Bringing a Corvair to a modern day Chevy dealership
Posted by: Eric66 ()
Date: January 30, 2011 06:39AM

In my town, we have what until 2009 was the oldest Chevrolet dealer in Maryland and one of the oldest in the United States, Damascus Chevrolet. They still have a 1917 Chevrolet on the showroom floor that they sold new and then took back in trade a few years later. Here's a local newspaper article about the car and dealership:

[www.washingtontimes.com]

In 2009 the franchise was ended as part of the "Government Motors" restructuring. They are still in business, but under the name "Damascus Motors" and all of the Chevrolet signage has been taken down or painted over. It is a VERY large facility, with probably 50 service bays, a massive parking lot and large body shop in a detached building. Most of it is now empty, and there are just a few used cars on the lot.

They had some long time, old-school Chevy mechanics there until just a few years ago. I never did take my Corvair in to see their reaction, but I'm thinking they would have embraced it. I'm sure they sold lots of Corvairs over the years.

Eric H.
--------------------------------------
1966 Mist Blue Corsa coupe 140/4-speed
Damascus, MD

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Fast Eddie ()
Date: January 30, 2011 06:46AM

Taking your Corvair in for service today? I don’t think so. I had Chevy mechanics
complain about working on my car when it was new!

Bowie,MD

Posted by: eds ()
Date: January 30, 2011 07:01AM

Had my new Toyota in for an oil change yesterday, and asked them to look into a rattle in an air vent. First they said they couldn't ID the rattle, and then offered either of 2 options - one which involved removing the windshield and the other removing the dash. Boggled my mind that a problem so small would require a solution so big.

Also made me realize that a rattle like that wouldn't even be noticeable above the din of my Vair! grinning smiley

Posted by: Setterz54 ()
Date: January 30, 2011 08:23AM

I have taken my 85 Eldorado to the dealer and been turned away. Im sure they wont look at a corvair. Need to find an independent mechanic to work on it.

Setterz54
Fulton,MD.

Posted by: reidmier ()
Date: January 30, 2011 08:45AM

Just an observation... One BIG reason that I bought my Corvair was so I wouldn't have to go to the dealer to get it fixed. Specifically, I started shopping for my Vair right after having to pay $180 to the dealer just to change the spark plugs in my 2004 Mercury. I tried to do it myself but you have to remove the entire intake manifold just to get to the rear plugs! Simply absurd. I praise the simplicity of the Corvair design every day. It doesn't hurt that I have one of the best Corvair mechanics in the country living 7 houses down the street either. cool smiley

Posted by: lowandslow ()
Date: January 30, 2011 09:06AM

When I took my older S-10 pickup into a dealer they would'nt work on it because they didn't have the diagnostic computer for it. But the local shop up the street from me did an alignment and lower ball joint replacement on my '63 Spyder with no problem.

Patrick McGhee
1963 Spyder convertible
Weatherford, Texas

Posted by: Layton Curtis ()
Date: January 30, 2011 10:24AM

They didn't like them when they made them and they wouldn't like them now. They would not touch it because of "no parts".

Posted by: gmgmtl ()
Date: January 30, 2011 11:25AM

I had my 2003 Silverado Duramax in for it's third set of fuel injectors. I drove my Rampside to the dealership to check on the progress. The service shop emptied out to have a look. Two of the mechanics had been around long enough to have worked on Rampsides in the early Seventies.
Some of the younger mechanics wanted to put it up on a lift and have a look, but the service manager vetoed it.

Gary Moore near KC Missouri

"The internet: A magnificent new technology combining the credibility of
anonymous hearsay with the excitement of typing." Jon Stewart 2004

61 RedRampside 110 automatic
61 Green Rampside 102 4speed

Heart of America Corvair Owners Association
[www.HACOA.org]

Corvanatics
[www.corvair.org]

Cactus Corvair Club
[www.cactuscorvairclub.com]

Google CORSA Chapter Map with links to chapter sites.
[maps.google.com]

Posted by: SSpeed66 ()
Date: January 30, 2011 11:30AM

It SHOULD be absolutely MANDATORY for GM dealerships to work on ANY year GM, IMO
If I took a Corvair to a Chevy dealership and they didn't know what it was, I'd be REALLY tempted to call them all a name, and tell them they should be ashamed of themselves as well as they should not be working there, as it IS A CHEVROLET...

I still wouldn't tell them which model it is, and I would walk away(after I got my parts, of course, ggg)eye rolling smiley

Al Macaulay - Okanagan Valley, BC
Western Canada Corsa

Link to my Corsa build- [corvaircenter.com]
Link to my Cobra boat Project- [www.sidewinder-boats.com]

66 Corsa 140 HT - 402BBC/Turbo 425, 66 CDN Corsa 'Vert 140, 79 Cobra 16SS/Merc 1500, 69 Triumph Trident Chopper, 67 BSA Lightning Custom
Cobra Custom Metal Design/ God Bless Canada

Posted by: 4 carbs ()
Date: January 30, 2011 01:28PM

I took my '65 to a local dealer for a front alignment. No can do "our computer doesn't go back that far" Took it to a local Goodyear and "get me the specs and we can do It" They plugged it in as a Buick. Everything is fine.

As far as the oil change they won't have ZDDP.

John Booth
Roselle, IL.

Posted by: BrentF ()
Date: January 30, 2011 03:43PM

Eric:

That's a great story in the Washington Post about Damascus Chevrolet and the 1917 Chevy.

Date: January 31, 2011 10:26AM

Yes, it is very sad that it is no longer a dealer. It had been the only dealer in what remains a small (and dry!) town for at least 30 years. I pass it several times every single day on my way out of town...the 1917 Chevy is still in the showroom, usually all alone.

Incidentally, I started my SAAB repair shop here in 2000 in what I learned was the other original car dealership in Damascus. We had the upper portion of what once was a Ford dealership, also dating back to around the 1917 era. It had a single car showroom, which is still intact, right at the main road through town (it is now office space of some kind). That building is nowhere near as large as the Chevy dealer facility (which appears to have been expanded several times).

This is a small, semi-rural community with plenty of active farms within the town limits, and thus lots of barns and plenty of senior citizens who bought Chevrolet cars and trucks at Damascus Chevrolet over the decades. I would not be surprised if I am approached one day by an older resident who sees my Corvair and happens to have one "tucked away in their barn" just a mile or two from my house (that they bought at Damascus Chevy of course). Maybe a nice '69 convertible, or a near-mint Lakewood winking smiley

Eric H.
Damascus, MD

Date: January 31, 2011 10:30AM

It is likely that your dealer will stock BG MOA, which would address your concerns regarding ZDDP.

[www.bgprod.com]

Eric H.
Damascus, MD

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: January 31, 2011 01:21PM

One day, Debbie and I stopped off at a Chevrolet dealership in Poway, Ca. We parked out in front among the shiny new cars & trucks while I dashed in to check on the availability of a replacement fuel injector for my 1993 GMC S15. When I came out, Debbie's '63 Monza convertible wasn't where I parked it. Finally located out on a side street. Debbie was pissed, she was told by a sales manager she couldn't park her car out in front. Either park it in back or on the side street. Needless to say, I will not do business with them. In fact, there is no longer a Chevy/GMC dealer in Poway due to GM cost cutting measures a couple years ago.

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: February 23, 2011 12:01PM

I've been inspired. I'm taking mine to the dealer on my next oil change.

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA
- Member: Central Coast CORSA
- Former Member: Vintage CORSA Orange County & South Coast CORSA Los Angeles California Chapters. Member, ISA (Int. Screenwriter's Assn.), SAG Eligible, and Producer's Guild Aspirant

* Then: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red/1965 Monza 110 Purple/
1967 Monza 140 Red/1966 500 110 Black/1965 Monza 110 Yellow
* Now: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo Project. Blue, Blue/Beige interior.

"Chevrolet's Corvair was a maverick machine, a rear-engined renegade born out of spite and genius." -- Sports Car Graphic, August 1969

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: February 23, 2011 12:35PM

thumbs up

Attachments:
Posted by: vicenik ()
Date: February 23, 2011 01:23PM

I like the new Camaros. However I am amazed at how big it looks sitting next to the Corvair. With a few modern updates ( modern mirrors, paint trim fittings etc.) it could confuse customers and cause a problem with the sales staff not having the car the customer wants.

Leander Tx

1965 Monza Convt.
1965 Chevy PU
2002 HD Fatboy
2006 HD Glide

Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: February 23, 2011 01:27PM

The sales people would want to talk you into trading it in, give you some measly amount for it, and then try to sell it for 11-12K cause it's a "classic"

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: February 23, 2011 01:40PM

I am thinking I Might park it there for awhile and put a window sticker on it and see what happends?? Maybe after I complete D/F #1 with new paint I will park it with sticker and see? Bet it gets more attention than the camero!

Posted by: danyarger ()
Date: February 23, 2011 03:10PM

Most of the modern dealership folk have never heard of ZDDP. I ran a fast lube in CA for a while, and I never heard of it to after I got rid of my MGB. Most of the time if you see a really old car at a dealership like from the Brass era to the 40's it belongs to the owner of the dealership who's like 80-90 years old.

Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.