Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Bringing a Corvair to a modern day Chevy dealership
Posted by: danyarger ()
Date: January 29, 2011 06:20PM

I'm not going to do this, I'm just trying to get a group oppinion about if someone brought an old car like a Corvair to a modern day Chevy dealership for repair, what would the knowledge of the mechanics about to work on it be, and would they even agree to work on it. I'm guessing the service manager, would turn us away. Whats your oppinion? Would they agree to work on it? Would it end up worse than when you brought it in?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bringing a Corvair to a modern day Chevy dealership
Posted by: monzagal ()
Date: January 29, 2011 06:28PM

They guys at my dealership here in town can barely tie their ties... no way in hell I'd take it there... the mechanic turnover is pretty terrible thanks to management...

Posted by: Pacerace ()
Date: January 29, 2011 06:32PM

Mechanics nowadays only know how to plug a computer in to figure out what's wrong. Now if the mechanic(s) there know how to diagnose and maintain an older engine maybe they would agree to do the work.

Chandler
Powder Springs, GA.

1965 Corvair Monza 110/4sp Coupe

Posted by: FLSteve ()
Date: January 29, 2011 06:45PM

I think we all should pick one day or week to all drive our Corvair's to the dealership to get an oil change. Just the reaction would be great. I think around the country all at once we might get some TV converge.

Posted by: monzagal ()
Date: January 29, 2011 06:48PM

I can hear it now.....

"And in today's news.. there has been a rash of Corvette owners... oh um.. wait... CORVAIR owners rushing to dealerships for oil changes... only to find that their engines have been REMOVED.... how did they get there and where did they come from.... more at 10:00"

Posted by: bubba ()
Date: January 29, 2011 06:48PM

seems like in ALMOST every dealership shop, theres an older guy that USED to be a wiz on old cars. everyone says, "go see old joe over there, he knows...." every generation has thier superstar. ours is matt....and richard 1...and steve.... and...well, you get the pic.

bubba, chester ca.

Posted by: Johnniespeed ()
Date: January 29, 2011 06:49PM

Dealership mechanics get paid on the flat rate system. Old cars are devastating to the flat rate system. I doubt you would find anyone who is willing to give up a days pay to work on a car, with no service manuals, no special tools and no parts. Those guys have families to feed, and for that reason, they most likely would refuse to work on your car. It is not a case of them being unintelligent, or of them being disrespectful to your car. They have bills to pay and mouths to feed and most old cars put a major hurt on thier finances.
Working on newer cars, with tools, manuals,and parts available, allow them to make a living, however meager. Check out the houses and cars of those mechanics and you will see "they aint gettin' rich pulling on wrenches"
John

Posted by: FLSteve ()
Date: January 29, 2011 06:52PM

How about the first day or last day of production???? Any other takers?? Lets have some fun.

Posted by: danyarger ()
Date: January 29, 2011 07:06PM

To me the dealership is always kind of a fun experience until you get the bill, then it's not quite so fun. As far as oil changes I'm guessing the mechanics, will try like hell to twist the oil filter off never realizing you just have to undo the filter bolt. They guaranteed wont have the filter in stock lol. Forget about adjusting carbs. I bet if the lube tech is under 30 he will probably open the trunk hoping the engine is there, while the older mechanics laugh hysterically. While your waiting in the showroom, someone will ask you if you've been helped and offer you a soda, then try to sell you a new car. An hour later, you'll end up showing the mechanic how to do his job, then still get the bill. Makes us question how old exactly a car has to be when dealerships decide to no longer try to work on it. Is it 20 years, 30 years 40 years etc. You wouldn't bring a Model T to a Ford dealership but it would be HILARIOUS if you did.

Posted by: 66TurboVaca ()
Date: January 29, 2011 07:19PM

Wish I had the courage to drive ours into our dealer and see what happens!

Posted by: crocus65 ()
Date: January 29, 2011 07:24PM

I bought my car from the owner of a Chevy dealership. Whenever it needed any type of service, he just had the service department pull it in and do it. If Chevrolet still stocked the parts, he'd just order them from Chevy. The car got treated pretty well!

Posted by: 4MiloEli ()
Date: January 29, 2011 08:16PM

I pulled into my local Chevy dealer's service dept one afternoon. The service writers all took one look and started yelling for Gary, one of their mechanics. He's a member of our local club (Mid-Ohio Vair Force), and the service writers have gotten used to Corvairs pulling in to see him. They won't align my Corvair, but Gary said ignore them and ask for him ... he'll do it.

Jay Pitchford
65 Corsa convertible
Columbus OH

Posted by: lgoodwin ()
Date: January 29, 2011 08:29PM

They'd tell you they don't have any of the manuals or parts for such an old car and suggest that you buy a new car. I guarantee it. That is, unless you take it to a dealer that is owned by a Corvair owner. There is a dealer near me that sponsors the annual spring tune-up for my Corvair club.

I have had dealers do this to me with my 74 Dodge van, an 80's Oldsmobile, and even with a 5 year old car that I had in for repairs after an employee backed their parts truck into my car while it was there for servicing (I bought the car from this dealer who took in in trade from the original owner, no less)!

1962 Corvair 900 sedan1967 Corvair Monza 140/4-speed1968 Corvair 500 coupe1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0
1962 900 sedan needs a home1967 Monza 140/4-spd1968 500 coupe (now my son's)1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0

Posted by: lostbooger ()
Date: January 29, 2011 11:19PM

When I was at a Chevy dealership looking for an HHR for my wife the dealers looked at my car and thought it was a Ghia... I was quick to correct them and had no qualms making them feel stupid. Really they should know better.

Damian

61 Monza 4.3L V6

Posted by: lgoodwin ()
Date: January 30, 2011 03:02AM

More like "half of them flipped upside down on the freeway, the the rest lit on fire and burned the occupants to death"...

1962 Corvair 900 sedan1967 Corvair Monza 140/4-speed1968 Corvair 500 coupe1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0
1962 900 sedan needs a home1967 Monza 140/4-spd1968 500 coupe (now my son's)1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: January 30, 2011 04:09AM

I drive mine to the local Chevy/Suzuki dealer every few months so they can droooool. Manager continues to be speechless as he keeps looking it over.

As for the mechanics, not a real educated group, but once or twice a year I teach them about lubrication, fuel systems, filtration, etc. in 3 hour sessions.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: January 30, 2011 04:11AM

I'm for sure up for the...we all pick the same day to take a Vair in for an oil change.

Paso Robles CA-Unsafe at Any Landspeed-Sidewinders (SCTA Charter Member 1934)-CORSA Member-Central Coast Corsa-Ventura County Corvair-V8 Registry-Corvanatics-California Angels Fan Since 1978...World Series Champions 2002 & 9 AL West Division Titles-So Cal Gas Since 1974 (Now Retired Again) Rehired as Contractor Seasonally-Baddest Street Legal Corvair on the Planet is SuperVair (AKA Vairy V8) ADE 506 Cube BBC/PG/QC L/M Coupe-1963 Deluxe Rampside (AKA PhilSide2)-148.253 MPH Landspeed F/BGALT Late Model Coupe-B&M Blown Methanol 3.1L Mid Engine Funco Sandrail-1965 Ugly Duck 110/PG Monza Coupe Parts Car-2013 Ford F250 Super Duty XLT Four Door Crew Cab Short Bed 6.7 Powerstroke-Grand Design Momuntum 350M Luxury Toy Hauler-When I Grow Up I'm Selling Everything and Buying a Vintage Triple Weber 911S Because I'll Never be Able to Afford the Miura!!!

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: January 30, 2011 04:46AM

I drove mine to the chevy dealer and parked it in the new car section next to a camero and all the sales guys came out and a service writer and they could not figure out what kinda car it was? Since I dont have a front trim bar or corvair script there are no brand markings,,you should have seen their face's when I went and opened the front trunk to show them the Engine!! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2011 04:53AM by davemotohead.

Posted by: Caveman_1960 ()
Date: January 30, 2011 05:49AM

Since retiring from GM I got bored and took a job at a local Buick GMC dealership as a Service Writer while I wait for my house here in PA to sell. Recently I brought my newly acquired 1987 Corvette to the dealership to tidy up a few things under the clamshell hood. Thier reason for not working on it? Too old and it's computer system can not be accessed by the current hand-held scanner (a Tech-2). Since this car was designed and built when the first generation GM scanner (Tech 1) was the hot setup, they can not and will not mess with it.

So how is that? Even with full on-board diagnostics on my 1987 vehicle the dealer doesn't want any part of it! Of course I knew this going in. I just wanted the guys in the shop to droll over my new low-buck Corvette find! - Cavevette Pete

Posted by: BritCars ()
Date: January 30, 2011 06:01AM

We Land Rover enthusiasts face similar issues with our classic Land Rovers and the newer models - the engineering complexity between them could not be greater. Still, if they're enthusiasts, they love to see the original models.

In Maine a large Chevy dealership has hosted the annual Dirigo Corvairs meet-up every fall. They put our cars in a prominent location, feed us and the sales and tech people wander around the cars.

Yes, they're far more familiar with thew newer models but they're proud of Chevrolet's history of significant automobiles. The sales manager really loves Camaros and Corvettes; one salesman is a serious Saab 2-cycle owner and enthusiast.

I do sense a difference between the service managers and service technicians on the willingness to work on older cars. Last fall my TR-7 suffered a head gasket/coolant problem and I limped into the forecourt of the Chevy dealership looking for recommendations on a towing company.

When I introduced myself as a Corvair enthusiast, the service manager assured me that one of his mechanics, who were not very busy that day, would look at it right away. He called over towards two mechanics, who stood staring at the wedge in their parking area, and asked them if they could look at it. "No way," said one tech, and that was the end of the that. The service manager did try and contact a local shop that specialized in "unusual cars" to get me some help - it didn't work out but his willingness was much appreciated.

The situation of service techs vis a vis older cars would be no different than if I tried to help the owner of a modern car with a repair. I would have no idea where to look, but I would be able to help talk through the problem based on automotive knowledge in general. The same would hold true for a modern technician trying to help me with an older car; engines still need a spark and fuel in the right sequence to fire, hydraulic power in the braking systems, etc.

Most mechanics are still car-people at heart so I'd be happy to show them a Corvair. They have a lot to teach me as well.

Jeff

Jeff Aronson
Vinalhaven, Maine 04863
'66 Corvair Monza Coupe 110 hp 4-speed
'66 Land Rover Series II-A 88" SW
'66 Land Rover Series II-A 88" HT
'80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
'80 Triumph Spitfire
[www.landroverwriter.com]
[www.dirgocorvairs.com]
[roversmagazine.com]

Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.