Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Barn finds?
Posted by: duckhunt530 ()
Date: January 14, 2011 10:01PM

I'm intrigued by these new TV shows where guys go and find rare items inside barns and storage units. I wonder how common this is? Has anybody found something good that's been stored for years? corvair or non-corvair

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Barn finds?
Posted by: Mark M ()
Date: January 14, 2011 10:44PM

How timely. Yes, found this last night while helping my boss look at two MG As, a 59 and 60 - and another pedal car I bought CHEAP - all in a pole barn about an hour outside St. Louis. Boss bought two of the MGAs to make one car out of. Turns out, one of them was a car he owned and sold during college in the early 70s. What a story. Also in or around the barn:
1.LM Red Vert, 140 AC that just got sold to a guy in KC
2. Another MGA, plus an MGA TD
3. Early 50s Ford vert(?)
4. 53 Chevy with 80K original
5. Most of a 1912 Ford, including the lights
6. Couple MGBs sitting outside in the snow. Rough, but restoreable.

Going back to see if we can find the cast aluminum pedal tractor.

Mark M
Project: 64 Spyder Vert
1st Vair: 65 Corsa
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

"If it's not broken, you're not driving it hard enough"

Attachments:
Posted by: vicenik ()
Date: January 14, 2011 10:46PM

yes. My wife and I share one hobby. Classic cars. Several years ago I was preaching to her about better ways to find good deals. To prove a point one warm spring Saturday morning we went driving in older neighborhoods lookibng for open garage doors. In one there was a red cadilac inside covered in dust and garage stuff. We stopped and ended up buying at a steal a 1968 Deville convertable with only 58,000 miles on it. It still had the original spare tire and exhaust system. The only problem was the seats had dried out.

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: January 14, 2011 10:57PM

My current 66 turbo Corsa. Purchased November of 09 from the original owner. Fully documented down to original dealer order and Protecto Plate.
Car had a good amount of options....180, posi, quick steering, F41, wood wheel. Body is so so. It was stored in an air plane hanger from the late 80's until I removed it.

Posted by: bought1 ()
Date: January 14, 2011 11:26PM

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......barn fresh, one owner 1970 Chevelle SS with 454. Parked in 1984. Still has original bias plys on it!

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2011 11:27PM by bought1.

Attachments:
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 14, 2011 11:53PM

My best find was 42 Victrola style players.... answered an ad for ONE....

Posted by: red64vair ()
Date: January 15, 2011 01:32AM

About two years ago as I turned onto the road I live on I met a rollback with a dust covered Hudson on it. I asked around and was told it came out of an old barn about a half mile from me. There had been other cars there also and the Hudson was the last to go. I have lived here since 1994 and pass the place every day but Knew nothing about the cars being there. I don't know anyone who did know they were there. The old man was kind of a recluse and had passed away earlier in the year. He had one son and he sold the cars.

One night at our cruiser club meeting I met a DR.Hudson and learned that he collected Hudson cars. I told him about seeing the old dust covered Hudson on the rollback. He said he was the one that bought it.

Posted by: gatorfrey ()
Date: January 15, 2011 02:18AM

I have a barn find!!!
Talk about karma. My friend has had the engine out of my 66 corsa sitting in a barn for 30 years, and I did not know. It came up in conversation last week. So, I promtly drove from Houston to the Arkansas/Louisiana border and pulled it out of a for-real barn!!
Just the RB short block, but my old engine smiling smiley!!
I also retrieved a RG 95 hp block, and some odds and ends.
Definately going to tear it down,clean it up, and use it!!!
So, hello old friend!!
There was also a corvair trike sitting behind the barn I did not even know he had!!
The picture of the engines that look like they are sitting in dirt is actually the collapsed wooden barn floor, and years of rat's nests.It was so deep the engine standing actually still had the bell housing on it, but buried in the "stuff".
I got it now, before the snakes came out. The barn is just a few feet from a bayou, and a few miles from town.
Two input shafts also,but I do not know how to tell which trans they fit. I have not unwrapped the red rag, but Tom tells me there is a 140 crank in grease inside.
Good find!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2011 02:21AM by gatorfrey.

Attachments:

Posted by: SpyderMan ()
Date: January 15, 2011 02:26AM

My Old 64 Greenbrier. Parked in 78

Sam Russell
Chapel Hill NC
1962 Monza Wagon
1964 Spyder coupe

Posted by: BrentF ()
Date: January 15, 2011 03:39AM

Here's a quintessential barn find that I came across this summer while traveling the back roads of Muskoka Ontario in my '66 Corvair:

Attachments:

Posted by: 1963gp ()
Date: January 15, 2011 03:50AM

My 1964 camper van Fillmore parked in 1970 due to an overheated engine which resulted in broken piston rings. It still showed oil spray on the back of the van through the half inch of dust. Bought from the widow of the original owner. In the glove box was the original registration dated April 13, 1964 the delivery date. Allen

Attachments:

Posted by: Eric66 ()
Date: January 15, 2011 04:12AM

I do not have a barn find, but I do have a barn find dream:

I dream of finding a 1971 Pontiac GTO Judge convertible tucked away somewhere, maybe in a barn. There were only 17 made, and only a few are unaccounted for. They are worth six figures, but I could care less about that. If I found one, I would never sell it. I would even drive it.

I have seen one of the 17 in person, before it was restored. I did not know I was about to see it when I did. I was shocked.

I also know someone who owns another of the 17 made (he is having it restored).

It is definitely a very long shot, but I am generally a very lucky person...

Eric H.
--------------------------------------
1966 Mist Blue Corsa coupe 140/4-speed
Damascus, MD

Posted by: tkalp ()
Date: January 15, 2011 04:30AM

Dang it Sam . . . that looks like the same barn that I pulled my '61 Greenbrier out of . . . it also hadn't been driven since '78. It was parked with a bad flywheel, and 27k miles. There was part of the original window sticker left in the Window. My guess is that they mistook the flywheel noise for rod knock and just parked it.

Picked up the green rampside that gmgmtl has now at the same time, along with a '64 convertible. These all came from a red barn in Collyer, KS

Terry Kalp
Wichita, KS

Attachments:

Posted by: Jim ()
Date: January 15, 2011 04:34AM

Garaged 47 year and one owner.

Attachments:

Date: January 15, 2011 04:38AM

27,500 miles factory paint.

Attachments:
Posted by: duckhunt530 ()
Date: January 15, 2011 04:45AM

Wow great pics! I'm out in the hills and country every weekday for work and who knows what's out there. I hope I find the old widow with the barn full of treasures. I can always dream ....

Date: January 15, 2011 04:58AM

69 21' travco stored in a barn since new 23,500 miles.. I'm owner #2 on this sweet ride. factory paint

Attachments:
Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: January 15, 2011 05:13AM

Who knows what lurks in the barn???? Someday,,,,I will be a barn find!!!

Attachments:

Posted by: Pacerace ()
Date: January 15, 2011 05:29AM

Run Forest Run!!

Chandler
Roswell, GA.

1965 Corvair Monza 110/4sp Coupe

Posted by: Vox ()
Date: January 15, 2011 07:43AM

The day I won the lottery! The first pic of my 1966 Corsa Turbo in the garage where I found it last summer. Area around the car had been cleared of crap already. It had been parked/forgotten since 1988.

The same car a couple of weeks later.

This thread proves that these cars are still out there waiting to be found. I've read about these barn/garage finds for years then finally it was my turn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2011 07:48AM by Vox.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.