Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Fitch Sprint "Ventop" video/photos
Posted by: ck_vair ()
Date: January 06, 2011 06:04PM

Is there any close-up video and/or close-up photos one can closely examine of a late model Fitch Sprint "Ventop" add-on roof? Would really like to see how he did it.

Yes, I am aware on the recent article on the Hemmings Classic Car.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fitch Sprint "Ventop" video/photos
Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: January 06, 2011 07:12PM

We had one, and sold it a couple years ago. I can probably dig up some pictures.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: SLlNKY ()
Date: January 06, 2011 09:53PM

i got one for sale...But it's in Delaware

Posted by: Bob ()
Date: January 07, 2011 05:37AM

My post here: [corvaircenter.com]
shows a Fitch Ventop off a '67 Sprint. It's for sale, also, since I don't need it now. I'm driving to Sacramento this weekend if anyone in that area has a need for it.

Bob Thomas 68 Monza

Date: January 07, 2011 08:25AM

Bob,

I am sending you a PM.
I Would really like to see more pictures on this item.
Thanks.

Posted by: nnsquared ()
Date: January 07, 2011 01:54PM

FWIW, from posts here, there are minor differences between the Fitch version and some aftermarket versions. One is near the back end of the qtr window, I think.

Regards,
Kerwin,
Valley Forge, PA
65 Monza 110 PG, Stinger wannabe SW 001

Date: January 07, 2011 05:53PM

Thank you very much to all of you who are trying to assist me. I would earnestly appreciate to see close-up photos or videos for I haven't seen one personally yet. Please let me see the different versions. Hope this is not asking too much from you guys. Thanks again!

Posted by: firevair66 ()
Date: January 08, 2011 08:43AM

This is the best pic I have of my 67. If you look at the rear lower corner of the rear side glass you will notice the vent top recurves toward the front . the repros follow the roof driprail straight and do not recurve toward the front. I really do not like the GTO look of the top also you need to drill a lot of holes in your car to mount it , also causes rust outs from traped debrise under and around the top.

John Shoemaker,Riegelsville,PA.
1958 Impala Sport Cp. 348 ,pg/ac
61 Rampside full custom show truck
65 Monza 110/4 vert driver
65 Full Custom Monza 140 Cp
66 Monza 110/PG Vert
66 Corsa FITCH SPRINT Documented ( in Process,recondition)
66 CorV8 350 "firevair"Custom Show

Attachments:
Posted by: Ed Dowds ()
Date: January 08, 2011 10:02AM

The rear "wings" of the Ventop are held on with two 1/4" studs, on each leg, sticking thru holes in the rear fenders and secured with nuts from inside the engine compartment.
The leading edge of the top has holes and usually sheetmetal screws holding it to the steel top of the car.
I was part of a thread, several years ago, about the ways of securing the front edge of the top.
I think most owners used the sheet metal screws. A few used flat head machine screws and nuts from inside the car if the headliner was out before installing the top.
Firevair66 described the small difference between the original Sprint tops and the later repros. I think the later tops may have been redesigned to allow smaller holes in the rear fenders because the original tops have to slide forward to catch the rain gutter while dropping the mount studs into the rear fenders.

Date: January 11, 2011 09:47AM

Thanks for the picture Firevair 66, I appreciate your assistance. smiling smiley Would like to examine the other alternative roof that exists. (?)

Another angle: A friend of mine told me that today is not necessary to screw the roof because a new generation of incredible super adhesive glue or cement are available to adhere the roof without danger of rippping off at high speeds. Can someone with hands-on experience on these products provide details on the alternative products with the pros and cons? (No one wants an eventual impossible-to-separate product either. sad smiley )

Please name specific brands and line of product.

Posted by: Ed Dowds ()
Date: January 11, 2011 05:20PM

There are modern adhesives used by body shops and car manufacturers but I think they would require a near destruction of the roof to remove it.
A Ventop doesn't require much to keep the front edge attached.
Mine was attached with three sheetmetal screws and it held just fine.
When I install it on my current car I may use high quality silicone adhesive so I can take it off if I need to.

Posted by: Sir Thomas ()
Date: April 11, 2018 07:21PM

I'm getting ready to install an original Fitch Ventop roof addition onto my Corsa this weekend. As it has been 7 years since this conversation string occurred, I'd like to renew the question of what specific great options are there for mounting a ventop. I stopped by my local auto repair shop today to ask them and much to my surprise their ultimate answer was basically, 'wow, I don't know.' That was not as helpful as they usually are.

So please, those of you in the know, fill me in. What bonding agents are trustworthy to do this job?

If screws are required, what is needed and where do they go? How many? Is there any danger of the fiberglass breaking from being screwed in place?

Thanks in advance for all insights you all can offer. I should be mounting it on Monday or Tuesday next week.

Thomas Ratliff
Marion, Indiana
Fitch Sprint (in progress)
'66 Monza convertible with EFI
ThomasMRatliff@yahoo.com

Posted by: "UNSAFE" ()
Date: April 12, 2018 11:26AM

"UNSAFE"
Kevin Willson
65 Monza
Juneau. Alaska

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: April 12, 2018 04:52PM

Thomas and ck_vair,
I stopped at an Advance Auto Parts to get their recommendation for putting a fiberglass hood scoop on a steel hood. They said Maxim 100813 by Evercoat was a popular choice. The medium set gives 30-40 minutes working time; 90-120 minutes clamp time; 8 hours cure time. I planned to run aluminum strips along the edge to clamp the scoop to the hood; after the epoxy has cured, remove the strips and screws and fill the holes. It comes in a caulking gun tube, haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Date: April 13, 2018 07:12PM

Scottymac, thank you for the suggestion of the Evercoat Maxim bonding formula. Do you just need the one tube and the long plastic tip to use with a standard caulk gun, or is there an additional activation chemical needed? When reading about the product I couldn't quite tell as it referenced a 1:1 mixing ratio. I'm guessing both come out of the tube together, but I'd appreciate confirming that with you before I order any.

Thomas Ratliff
Marion, Indiana
Fitch Sprint (in progress)
'66 Monza convertible with EFI
ThomasMRatliff@yahoo.com

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: April 13, 2018 09:50PM

Thomas,
I haven't used it yet, but made the same assumption you did. Will you make it to the birthday party in Pittsboro April 21?
Scott

Date: April 14, 2018 07:33AM

Scott,

Yes, we plan to be at the Corsa Birthday Party next Saturday. I have been planning on unveiling the Fitch Sprint at that event for several months, but I'm falling short on time. I think I am not going to reach my goal with the car yet again. Never ending project...

Thomas

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.