Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: How Fast were our Corvairs in the 60's???
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: January 09, 2011 06:03AM

I was the second owner of my 65 turbo vert. Got when it was a year old The sticker price was $3136.05 its hard to make out in the pic, but thats it. As for 1/4 mile; it ran in the low 15s with loose belt, vert weights removed, heat doors blocked closed and absolutly zero respect for the drive train. Have tickets somewhare, can't find them now. I ran it in Pa Hill Climb events and could easily beat the older Porches. What the hell was I thinking, duh, that crap is dangerous. The poor little rich kids with there Porches didn't like that so they changed the CC rules which put me against SB Cameros and mustangs. I still did OK because of traction on the short tight courses, but gave it up.
J.O.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rnch ()
Date: January 09, 2011 06:38AM

Bryan M Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
>
>
> the pep part may not surprise me, considering the
> 912 has a 4cyl. (although there does seem to be a
> bit of a power to weight advantage in the 912)
> but the oversteer thing; no way. the 912 has 45/55
> balance. i can't get the rear end to break loose.
> believe me i've tried very hard. the opposing
> front wheel will come off the ground before the
> rear end comes out.

tire technology has come a long way since my father owned his 912 (or did it own him? lol). his well-used 912 may have had biased ply, non radial tires on it for all i know..and it does rain a LOT here in new orleans! (biased ply tires suck in the wet, compared to radial tires). i do recall that Porche Pig's tail trying to come around a lot in the rain, the few times dad let me drive it...NEVER a problem with my LM vairs!

compared to his corvair, the 912 rusted away sitting still. seemed like everytime i did a blue coral (how many peeps here recall that torture job/wax?) wax job on it i found a new rust spot.

seems like the porche had a problem with generator/regulators and loosing ground a lot...

(edited for typos...fat fingers, small lap top keyboard)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2011 06:40AM by rnch.

Posted by: KaptKaos ()
Date: January 09, 2011 02:04PM

MattNall Wrote:
> I thought we were discussing the 1st listings...
> those are same year comparisons...

You are correct. Maybe my last sentence maybe should have been more emphatic.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: January 09, 2011 03:15PM

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: January 09, 2011 03:18PM

jjohnsonjo Wrote:
> [www.dragtimes.com]
> p-14585.html

Not stock.

Posted by: tomkeo ()
Date: January 09, 2011 04:17PM

I'd like to add my 2 cents worth. People have been comparing Corvairs & Porsches since day one. Richard's data on the '65 180 Turbo is wrong. Just because somebody published it doesn't mean it's correct. (Notice the Corvair horsepower peak in Richard's data is rated at 5600 rpm, not 4000 rpm as it should be.) However, the performance data for the '76 Turbo Carrera is correct, I checked it against my January 1976 R & T copy.
There is no way a Corvair can cover a 1/4 mile in less than 16 seconds and have a trap speed of only 76 mph. You'd have to put the brakes on. Every road test I have of a Corvair Turbo has an E.T. of anywhere from the high 16's to the low 17's. My own personal experience is the same with my stock Turbo. If you remove the muffler, air cleaner, wrap the exhaust header and loosen the fan belt, you might get into the high 15's, but you have to develop at least 10 inches of boost in 1st gear, and then power shift to keep the turbo spooled up.
My good friend Gary Bailey had a '66 Turbo with these modifications plus a highly modified YH carb that was bored out and a modified turbo compressor with very tight impeller/ compressor clearances and a set of small diameter rear tires. He ran in the high 14's with a trap speed of 94 mph at Orange County Raceway in the late 1960's.
I'm looking at a March 1975 R & T road test of a 1975 Porsche 911 Carrera (non-turbo) with 152 hp and a 2525 lb. curb weight. It ran 0-60 in 8.2 sec, 1/4 mile was 16.5 sec @ 89.5 mph. I can believe that.

Tom Keosababian

Posted by: zarfnober ()
Date: January 09, 2011 06:30PM

Why would anyone believe the guy that owns the "worlds fastest Corvair"?thumbs up Your times seem way more in line with reality. I remember reading Finch's book and could not even remotely believe the time he posted for a stock turbo, good info Tom.

Ever take the white car out anymore?

Rocco

Posted by: Noel Felty ()
Date: January 11, 2015 04:05AM

Here is a 0-60 time of 5.9 seconds in the 60's! I think I have seen this posted here before and forgive if I'm being redundant but man this car was fast! Late model in the 60's and it has a Corvair enginesmiling smiley
[wildaboutcarsonline.com]

Noel Felty
Brevard, NC
1966 Corsa 140

1972 Ford f100

Corsa SC
NC Mountain Corvairs

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: January 11, 2015 05:03AM

Noel Felty Wrote:
> Here is a 0-60 time of 5.9 seconds in the 60's! I
> think I have seen this posted here before and
> forgive if I'm being redundant but man this car
> was fast! Late model in the 60's and it has a
> Corvair enginesmiling smiley
> [wildaboutcarsonline.com]
> lisherAttachments/9990409084314/1968-07_CL_Fastest
> _Corvair_1-4.pdf

That has been posted before. But did you read the entire article?
That is a highly modified car (140 heads, large custom cam, larger turbo, AFB 4 barrel carb, water injection).
That would be like comparing a stock big block Chevelle to one with a bigger cam, headers, ignition, slicks, etc. The original thread was on stock 0-60 times of the cars back in the 60's.
Tom's Corvair is impressive though.

Lee J
Southern New Jersey near Philly.
1966 Corsa 180

Posted by: Noel Felty ()
Date: January 11, 2015 06:17AM

Yes I read the entire article. I posted it again because it is impressive. Yes the engine is modified but this is less modification than jamming a water pumper in it. Nice to see what the Vair was capable of in the 60's. My hats off to the Corvair guys that innovate with the car in its true form.

Noel Felty
Brevard, NC
1966 Corsa 140

1972 Ford f100

Corsa SC
NC Mountain Corvairs

Posted by: NMCarNut ()
Date: January 11, 2015 12:01PM

Noel Felty Wrote:
> Yes I read the entire article. I posted it again
> because it is impressive. Yes the engine is
> modified but this is less modification than
> jamming a water pumper in it. Nice to see what the
> Vair was capable of in the 60's. My hats off to
> the Corvair guys that innovate with the car in its
> true form.

Did you notice the tie between the car in the article and the guy that posted above? (hint: tomkeo)

One of my all-time favorite Corvairs from when I first learned about it from the Car Life article in 1968 and still so today . . .

Posted by: motorsent ()
Date: January 11, 2015 12:31PM

In 1969 I had a 62 Monza that I set up for drag racing. I ran the car in the NHRA I/G class. My best e.t. for the 1/4 mile was 13.51 and best mph was 103.96.
The car weight was 2000 lbs. The motor was a 1966 140 hp with a lot of rework by me. Rear was 4 spider 3.89. Trans was a 1962 4 spd til I kept breaking them.I took off all shrouds and alt. and everything not needed.
We towed the car back the return road.

Charles sentner

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 11, 2015 12:59PM

Yup...basically like GM ran their Dyno tests..

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Posted by: jmaechtlen ()
Date: January 11, 2015 02:32PM

Re top speed-
It's not just power - the Porsche is smaller, and must surely have less wind resistance.
From Wikipedia's article on drag
C/D*area
5.92 sq ft 0.550 m2 1994 Porsche 911 Speedster

from another thread here,
An EM coupe has a CD of 0.40 and a LM coupe is 0.36. These are based on a reference area of 22 sqare feet for both.
so CDa would be 8.8 for EM and a bit less for LM.

Looks like the Porsche has lots less drag

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.