Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Blower Bearing
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 12, 2021 08:34AM

connecticutcorvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> While we're on the topic, I understand that an aluminum version of the fan is available. Is that a desireable upgrade?

As noted by others, beginning with the 64 models, the fans were magnesium --- HOWEVER, the 64 fan is unique because it fits the EM smaller fan bearing.

The 65-69 models (LM) used a bigger bearing and the magnesium fan was revised to fit.

BTW -- I will NOT USE a magnesium fan that has white powder on it --- the powder is magnesium oxidation (corrosion) and once that starts it compromised the magnesium and the fan can disintegrate during operation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: January 12, 2021 02:52PM

66vairman, this is an OLD thread that was resurrected.
connecticutcorvair's last post was in June of 2013.
And NOW we DO have an Aluminum Fan available, The Nash Fan!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry
[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: Saxon ()
Date: January 15, 2021 10:42AM

Thank you, I was able to remove fan from the cover by leaving it in sun and pulling left and right ends with light force. The joint did soak in WD-40 and liquid wrench for a day.

The next step is to remove the bearing assembly from the cover by gradually applying heat with a propane torch.

Afterwards, I need to separate the assembly cylinder from the actual bearing. I will use the same method. Gradual heat and taps to the spindle of the bearing.

My first time, so I wanted to check with you All.

SF Bay Area
Marina Blue '66 Coupe 4-spd 140 3.27 axle 14" minilites
Adopted May 2020

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 16, 2021 05:55AM

You don't want to gradually apply heat. The idea is to get the cover hot quickly before the bearing gets hot. You want the cover to expand and the bearing shaft to stay the same so it gets loose. I think there is a Motohead video on YouTube.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Saxon ()
Date: January 19, 2021 08:39PM

I was concerned about weakening the aluminum cover (if that's even possible with a propane torch?).

For removal I am not worried about cooking the bearing grease, but for installation & fine tuning height of hub assembly with bearing, I will be more forceful with the heat. Thanks for the tip.

I was unable to make much headway in separating bearing from hub using propane torch and raps with a 3 lbs hammer. Only moved about 3 mm.

Was about to build or buy a benchtop press, but decided to take a first visit to Mel's Vairmart in Santa Clara, CA.

Mel pressed out the old bearing from the hub, sandblasted my hub, inserted the new bearing. All in about 5 minutes. Amazing!

But, let's say I did not have access to Mel's. Could longer sustained heat and continual raps with a hammer & socket succeed or is that too caveman!?

The $90 harbor freight press did not look too impressive, but the next price up was about $350 from Northern.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 19, 2021 08:44PM

You hang the cover by the bearing.... heat aluminum until it falls off!.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: AlecCarlson ()
Date: January 20, 2021 03:51AM

DaveMotoHead has a youtube video for replacing the fan bearing. I followed that and it worked perfectly.

Replacing Fan Bearing by DaveMotoHead

Alec
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Corsa Convertible Turbo 4-Speed
Restoration "In Progress"

Date: January 20, 2021 09:28AM

connecticutcorvair Wrote:
> While we're on the topic, I understand that an aluminum version of the fan is available. Is that a desireable upgrade?

As mentioned, the fan is magnesium. Also note the EM blower bearing is smaller vs. the LM blower bearing. ONLY the 1964 models had a magnesium fan to fit the EM bearing and it's an uncommon part to find.

Some EM owners install the LM top cover with the larger LM fan bearing and LM magnesium fan.

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: January 20, 2021 03:04PM

What happens when you install a mag fan on the smaller "early" bearing. If I enlarge the bolt holes in the fan it should work OK, right?

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: January 20, 2021 03:19PM

Paulsgt Wrote:
> What happens when you install a mag fan on the smaller "early" bearing. If I enlarge the bolt holes in the fan it should work OK, right?
>
>
> Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul the fan is centered over the bearing by the inside diameter of the fan. It cannot be loose on the hub because it will show out of round while turnng. The 4 bolts simply hold it in place. Same as hub/centric wheels.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Date: January 20, 2021 06:38PM

steve c goodman Wrote:
> Paulsgt Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > What happens when you install a mag fan on the smaller "early" bearing. If I enlarge the bolt holes in the fan it should work OK, right?
> >
> >
> > Enjoy the Corvair!
>
>
> Paul the fan is centered over the bearing by the inside diameter of the fan. It cannot be loose on the hub because it will show out of round while turnng. The 4 bolts simply hold it in place. Same as hub/centric wheels.

And it is SNUG. A fellow in our club said the fan would not sit square when he installed it. I asked him if it painted it, and he said yes. I know from experience you must not paint the edge that fit over the bearing flange shoulder. He removed the paint from the fan hole and then the fan fit flush AND square.

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: January 20, 2021 06:56PM

Got it! Thanks guys! I guess I need to find a EM fan then. I don't want to take the top cover off and put a different bearing in it because this is a new one.

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: January 24, 2021 06:46PM

66vairman Wrote:
> connecticutcorvair Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > While we're on the topic, I understand that an aluminum version of the fan is available. Is that a desireable upgrade?
>
> As mentioned, the fan is magnesium. Also note the EM blower bearing is smaller vs. the LM blower bearing. ONLY the 1964 models had a magnesium fan to fit the EM bearing and it's an uncommon part to find.
>
> Some EM owners install the LM top cover with the larger LM fan bearing and LM magnesium fan.

You are talking to a GHOST!
This is the SECOND time you have responded to the SAME question on the SAME thread, with the SAME, INACCURATE answer..
And as I told you last time, . . . . . . .
Connecticutcorvair has NOT been here on the forum since 07/04/2013
AND the Mag fan, is no longer the only option. THE NASH FAN IS ALUMINUM ! ! ! ! ! !

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry
[corvaircenter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2021 06:54PM by American Mel.

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: January 24, 2021 06:49PM

Sheesh .... I made the mistake of dredging this thread up. Just cause I was thrilled to set a bearing using this nifty Otto tool I had had sitting for years. Mea culpa. Think I’ll shut up now.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.