home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Treating Rockers with Eastwood's Internal Frame Coating
Posted by: Darrin ()
Date: December 31, 2010 05:46PM

OK, quick post before I go off the the New Year's party (my wife takes longer to get ready).

I saw this new Eastwood's rocker paint just as I was pondering how to treat my rocker panels to prevent future corrosion (they are really nice to start with). Here are a few pics. The sprayer is a long plastic tube with a jet on the end to spread the spray around. I put two of the tubes together and attached to a dowel to reach half way into the rockers from each end. Worked well and there was seepage from the seams of some of the other frame bits I coated, so it flows well into cracks and crevices.

Does it prevent corrosion...will report back in 20 years and let you know.

THinking of also coating them with the waxy stuff from 3M if I can figure out how to spray it in there effectively. This application looks pretty good though.

Darrin

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Treating Rockers with Eastwood's Internal Frame Coating
Date: December 31, 2010 05:47PM

more..

Attachments:

Date: December 31, 2010 05:47PM

...and more.

Attachments:

Date: December 31, 2010 05:50PM

last ones...

Attachments:

Date: December 31, 2010 05:53PM

Oh, yeah, the paint does not defy gravity...it is on a rotisserie...should really do a build thread. Have the pics. Doing some serious sand blasting this week on the bottom. Dirty work indeed.

Darrin

Posted by: Wyvern ()
Date: December 31, 2010 06:13PM

Darrin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh, yeah, the paint does not defy gravity...it is on a rotisserie...should really do a build thread.
> Have the pics. Doing some serious sand blasting this week on the bottom. Dirty work indeed.
>
> Darrin

From the pictures you posted, that looks like an excellent idea!

I'd like to see some pictures of the rotisserie, as I think I'm coming close to building one.

James

Posted by: firevair66 ()
Date: December 31, 2010 08:08PM

It looks like you got it good. Think I will order some for my cars.

John Shoemaker,Riegelsville,PA.
1958 Impala Sport Cp. 348 ,pg/ac
61 Rampside full custom show truck
65 Monza 110/4 vert driver
65 Full Custom Monza 140 Cp
66 Monza 110/PG Vert
66 Corsa FITCH SPRINT Documented ( in Process,recondition)
66 CorV8 350 "firevair"Custom Show

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: December 31, 2010 08:36PM

Does it take two cans to complete the job? You said you used two hoses so I assume they were from two cans.

Date: December 31, 2010 09:56PM

I used one whole can per rocker and another can for the other frame rails...which were tougher...rocker being straight and open at each end was easy.

Will post some pics of the rotisserie tomorrow...got if from Bryan Blackwell who got it with a wagon he bought, then sold.

Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: January 01, 2011 05:53AM

Darrin on the 3m wax, I used it to rust proof my rockers and anywhere water can get to in those areas. I took a small drill bit the size of the hose and drilled holes under the backside of the rockers every so many inches and I inserted the tube and sprayed away twisting the end of the hose at different angles to get complete coverage. On the top area along where the seal plates cover the door seals I drilled the same holes every few inches and sprayed from the top the same. I sprayed both until I had the wax coming out of the holes. I removed the door panels and sprayed inside the doors and also took the panel of under the rear quarter glass and spayed the inside of the quarter panels that where also replaced. That was 12 years ago and the 3m wax is still there. If you scratch it it heals over even though the film that was scratched is still protected.

I put some 3m on a piece of bare metal and have left it outside for a long time and there is still no rust starting on it. I probably used to much in the rockers and door panel area since it only takes a thin film to work, but I wanted to do this once. But if you ever want to touch it up it is easy.
In the trunk area the void below the front bumper I used a 1" hole saw the size of the floor plugs and sprayed that area since alot of corvairs rust out there to. After I was done I put 1 " floor plugs it the holes to seal it up. If I want to redo any area it is all ready for the next time
But I have had no need since once you put it on it is there for good it seems.

GWLee

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.