Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: EM front suspension rebuild project
Posted by: Mark M ()
Date: May 01, 2011 05:02PM

SUSPENSION IS ASSEMBLED AND MOUNTED!!!!!

Brakes still need to go on and I need to torque the six mounting bolts, tie rods, idler, pitman, and upper and lower bushings (I'll do bushings after I get some weght on it), but at least it is back in place.

With the driver side spindle set so the wheel would be straight, the right side is set so the wheel would be considerably turned left, so I have some adjusting to do. It now has Clark's quick arms on it. Lock to lock is only about 2 turns, so something is off because they should not improve things that much - probably the above alignment issue that's causing it. And, steering stuff is just on loosely. I turned the wheel very carefully.

What and where are the stops at each end of the steering travel? I did not notice any.

Mark M
Project: 64 Spyder Vert running 80 hp heads and carbs
1st Vair: 65 Corsa 140
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

"If it's not broken, you're not driving it hard enough"

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 01, 2011 05:13PM

Getting closer!!

Sorry.. I cannot remember where the stops are!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: May 01, 2011 05:39PM

Just occured to me: I think the stops are the nub that comes down off the steering arm and hits the lower control arm

Mark M
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

Date: May 01, 2011 05:42PM

AHH that's it!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: danyarger ()
Date: May 02, 2011 12:06AM

Looks greatthumbs up

Date: May 04, 2011 07:30AM

Played with the tie-rods last night and got the steering straightened out so I could get full travel with the steering wheel and suspension. Lock-to-lock was about 5 1/2 before, maybe a little more. Now, with rebuilt box and Clark's quick arms it is down to slightly more than 3 turns. Can't wait to drive it.

Mark M
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

Date: May 09, 2011 06:08AM

Brakes are now installed and ready to bleed. Put the tires on so I could drop the car to the ground and bounce the suspension some before torquing the a-arm and lower arm bushings. Suspension is supposed to have weight on it before torque is applied. Still have a knock in the suspension and I think it is from the one tie-rod end I did not replace. It goes tonight.

Couple tips:

1. Do not put the brake line on before torquing the upper a-arm bushings. You cannot get a socket on the front bushing bolt if you do.

2. It is almost impossible to get to the upper bushings, and to get any leverage on the bolt in the lower arm with the car on the ground. In fact, it is almost impossible to get to the upper ones even with the car up on stands if the tires are on. I used a short wratchet while the car was on the ground and tightened them up as much as I could - guessing it was close to spec, then put it up with jack stands under the lower arms (and tires off) and finished torquing them down. For the lower arms I just put it up on ramps so I could get enough space to tighten the lower bushings.Could not find a torque for the lower bushing bolt so I went with standards for grade 8.

3. POR-15 takes up more space than I thought. On the idler arm and Pitman arm, I had a hard time getting the nuts down enough to get the proper size cotter pin to fit. I had to sand off the POR-15 and that allowed the nut to go on just enough more (at the proper torque). Do not POR-15 or paint those surfaces.

Mark M
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2011 06:12AM by Mark M.

Date: May 09, 2011 07:15PM

Front brakes are bled. One step at a time.

Mark M
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

Date: May 11, 2011 08:24PM

This could be trouble and may keep me from being ready for the club cruise Saturday. Buttoned up a few things, put the new tie rod on, put the tires on.

But, when I spun the right tire by hand I got a clinking sound out of the right drum. Same sound with tire off. Did not have it before I tore out the suspension. Maybe I just did not set the wheel bearing right - I hope.

Outer tie rod ends are also dangerously close to the wheel. I will have to pull the quick steer arms and put the thick washers under them to re-align things. Should have done it when i put them on. One more thing I do not really have time for before Sat. Have to pull the drums to do it, and maybe part of the brakes.

Mark M
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

Date: May 11, 2011 08:35PM

You'll get it!

Date: May 12, 2011 05:56AM

Thanks Matt, I appreciate the encouragement. When I started work on this car I told myself I would never set myself up for deadlines, like shows, cruises, and such, because I knew that would result in rushing and pushing to meet a deadline. I knew that would take the fun out of it for me. I am sort of there now, but think I can still make it.

Clunk problem is solved. It was just the adjusting nut cotter hitting a dent in the dust cap. Love it when it is that simple.

Fixing the steering arms will be a bit of a pain, but I will tackle it later today. Pulled some old photos and it looks like I can get to the nut on the inside of the backing plate without taking the brakes off. Will have to pull both bolts/nut/lockwasher sets off at the same time in order to get a thick washer behind the steering arm, but I don't think that will screw with anything else.

I'll post any final thoughts, including how much cutting one coil from the front springs lowered the front end.

Mark M
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2011 06:02AM by Mark M.

Date: May 12, 2011 07:09PM

On the ground and driving again! Still need to get it aligned, but I was able to take a short run up and down the block. Started right up after getting some fuel to the carbs. 5 to 10 minutes to pump up the noisy lifter and she idled great. Solenoid went bad just before the project began, but now it is acting normal.

Steering is definitely different - only 2 1/2 turns lock to lock with the Clark's quick arms. Will be fun to drive. Harder to steer, but not difficult. One coil out of springs lowered the front only about 3/8, but it may settle more. And it does have all new bushings. Still sits about 1/2 inch lower in back, but those springs are original.

Will post photos after it settles.

Thanks for all the help.

Mark M
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

Posted by: Jim ()
Date: May 12, 2011 09:07PM

Super nice job there, your right. Drive it hard.

Date: May 14, 2011 08:34AM

Summary Post:
First photo - The Before shot, front suspension and POs bad patch job of torn out trunk bottom.

Second photo - The After shot, rebuilt front suspension, steering box and new trunk bottom.

Third photo - New stance after one coil cut from front springs. Only 4 or 5 miles on it at this point. My driveway angles down some toward the rear of the car, so take that into account. When I put my front spoiler back on I did notice that my floor jack barely fits under the center of the crossmember.

Overall, the front suspension project (not including welding all the patches and trunk floor and headlight bucket) was easier than the clutch, diff snout and reseal, engine reseal and clean up project, but that takes into account that I do have access to a blast cabinet and hydraulic press at work and that helped with the suspension.

Front and rear ride height, measured all around at the center of the wheel opening (I know it is also done at rocker) was about 1/2 to 3/4 inch lower than spec before the project. Tires are Firestone FR380 185/8013s. One coil cut from front changed the stance as follows, with full tank and spare in trunk as before:

Driver front: 3/4" lower
Pass front: 7/8" lower

Driver rear: 3/16" higher
Pass rear: 4/16" higher

I did not expect the rear to change, but this could be due to different tire pressure and the fact that the rear alignment was done without loosening the rear motor mount. Maybe adding shims without loosening the rear mount torques the Power Pak enough to raise the suspension slightly?

I like the stance and will have to decide whether or not to replace the rear springs when I rebuild that suspension. Thanks to all for your help and advice.

Mark M
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2011 08:40AM by Mark M.

Attachments:

Re: FC front suspension LocTite or anti-seize?
Posted by: Andrew ()
Date: October 13, 2011 09:03AM

After many hours of scrounging, cleaning, prepping, and painting I'm finally ready to start bolting my FC suspension rebuild project back together. I have all new hardware. I have a couple of "shop practices" questions that I'd like to hear some opinion on before I proceed.

Loc-Tite or Anti-Seize?

For the threads that get slotted-head hex nuts, like ball joint studs and tie rod ends, I'm planning on using antiseize. For the bolts that hold the new ball joints into the A-arms, I'm thinking about using Loc-Tite, probably blue. My concern is that the paint (2K) will eventually shrink or wear off and the joints will be loose in the arms. With Loc-Tite, I won't be able to snug them back up later. The bolts in the end of the control arm shafts will get anti-seize, since they need to be installed before the unit goes in the truck, but will have to be torqued down after the wheels are on the ground. Would I be better off without either on the bolt threads?

Split lockwashers?

In areas where the new ball joints are bolted to the A arms, should the lockwashers be under the bolt heads, or under the nuts? Does it even matter?

Date: October 13, 2011 11:59AM

Not that I am an expert, but I didn't use anything on the castellated nuts. Seems like there is usually some grease in the area that keeps them from corroding and seizing. There is a torque value for them, so I think you need to account for anything you put on the threads.

Not sure how similar the FC is to my 64, but I don't recall using anything on the ball joint bolts and nuts. I was told that if there is a nut, the lockwasher goes under it. If not, lockwasher is under head of fastener.

Mark M
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

Posted by: keitho64 ()
Date: January 05, 2019 08:57AM

I am going to do the front suspension on my car this winter and have been reading all the posts on the forum. Thank you Mark for sharing your project, this thread has been printed out for me to use as a reference. So 8 years later this post still provides help! thumbs up

Keith
64 Monza Convert 110 4-speed
69 911T (IROC Clone)
"Horizontally Opposed"
05 GTO 6-speed (Gotta have a V8)
Chicago Burbs; the Anti-Dragon... 11 turns in 318 miles

Date: January 08, 2019 06:45AM

Keith,

I could not have done it without the help here and our local club. Did the rear too. Not sure if I posted all that.

8 year? Now if I can just get back to the body work.

Mark M
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.