Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: EM front suspension rebuild project
Posted by: Mark M ()
Date: January 23, 2011 06:59PM

Missed the club meeting yesterday because of a bad plumbing leak at home, but got back on the car today. Cut slots in the A-arm bearing sleeves that were still in the arms and then chiseled them out.

Pulled the steering wheel and easily got the steering box out. Word of caution: if you do this, have someone inside the car when you pull the box and that really L-O-N-G shaft. When the spring that is on the shaft at the wheel end falls, they can catch it. And, just inside the hub after you pull the shaft is a small bearing race(?) with very tiny bearings in it. Don't just stick your finger in ther and see if it turns or you can lose some of the bearings - they are smaller than BBs. I was fortunate.

My rearmost suspension mount brackets (photo) look good and considering the good condition of the suspension bolts I don't intend to pull the mounts and install new bolts. Somebody yell if I should be replacing them. I did break the head off the mounting bolt on the passenger side so I will have to carefully drill it out. I'll see if I can get it out with heat first.

Is the steering box case aluminum? I don't think mine is, but after cleaning it I can see that this thing has ZERO rust on it.

Mark M
Project: 64 Spyder Vert running 80 hp heads and carbs
1st Vair: 65 Corsa 140
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

"If it's not broken, you're not driving it hard enough"

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Discgolferman ()
Date: January 24, 2011 09:00AM

I appreciate you documenting all this Mark. I need to dig into my em front end next month and being a greenhorn at this stuff Ill be sure to follow this thread closely.

DGM

Date: January 24, 2011 09:36AM

Discgolferman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I appreciate you documenting all this Mark.

Very welcome. It is my way of paying back for all the knowledge and help I have gained here and through our coal club. If you need help when you tear into it, PM me. I have lots of photos that may help, especially if you have never torn into one.

Mark M
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

Date: January 26, 2011 06:13PM

A little progress tonight. Got some more small stuff blasted: A-arm shafts, some brake parts like the adjuster stuff that I want to try to re-use.

Tried to clean up the threads on the end of a control arm by cutting a relief in a nut and slowly working it on a rod I had cleaned the threads on - I had read about this approach here. Used some oil and backed-off as the nut tightened. The threads looked decent before I started, except for some corrosion under where the bushing sleeve was.

But, I screwed it up somehow. I was surprised by how warm the nut got even though I only went about 1/2" at a time then backed off, cleaned the threads and oiled some more. What did I do wrong?confused smiley I've heard here not to use a die or it cuts threads away. Looks like I will need two control rods because the threads on the other are bad. Better expand the budget.angry smiley

Got frustrated so I switched to the pedal car project because it's a lot easier to deal with. Back at the suspension this weekend.

Mark M
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

Attachments:
Date: January 30, 2011 06:37PM

Got a few more hours in this weekend. Two coats of POR-15 on some suspension parts and then a coat of primer before the POR-15 dried all the way.

Pulled the shaft out of the steering box so I can take it to work and clean it up so that when I put it back in it slides through the new seal easily.

Ran the die on both control rod threads and they cleaned up nicely. I was a little sloppy when doing the POR-15, so I'll run the die down the threads again to clean them up.

Mark M
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

Attachments:

Date: January 31, 2011 05:08PM

Finally got around to blasting the springs - been putting them off because they look laborsome. This blasting thing is fun for the first 3 or 4 parts, but then it just becomes a chore.

I marked the left spring at the top when I took them out - at least what I recalled was the top, but the stamp is barely visible. Would someone please confirm that the top of the springs is to the right in the photo? And, is that why the spring is "crimped" at the top, so as to identify the top?

Also got the steering shaft cleaned up as was advised. Because it has to slip back into the box after the new seal is in the box, it is good to clean up the shaft so that it doesn't mess up the new seal.

Mark M
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2011 05:09PM by Mark M.

Attachments:
Posted by: devairguy ()
Date: February 01, 2011 01:55AM

The crimp I believe is from the manufacturing process.
[video.search.yahoo.com]

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: February 01, 2011 06:42AM

Mark M Wrote:
> Would someone
> please confirm that the top of the springs is to
> the right in the photo?

I don't think the front LM OEM springs have a top or bottom choice. The marks you see are from manufacturing. I've never heard it was used to identify a specific mounting orientation.

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: February 01, 2011 01:04PM

devairguy is correct, crimp in spring is due to manufacturing process. A type of clamping press is used to assist with rolling cherry red hot heavy gauge wire over a steel barrel. Then automatically cut-off at a pre-determined length.

Posted by: Billdozer ()
Date: February 03, 2011 04:08PM

All of this has just inspired me to remove, clean, and paint mine as well. thanks guys

Date: February 04, 2011 07:48AM

Bill,

If I can do it, anybody can do it. Lots of tips and advice here as you have already seen.

Mark

Mark M
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

Date: February 08, 2011 09:47AM

I seem to be in the slow, boring stage of my project. Got about 4 hours Sunday and finished all the POR-15 and a coat of primer on ALL the suspension parts. Well, not ALL. I forgot I had pushed the brake drums under the workbench. I really need more space. Won't take long to clean them up and POR15 them later, they are not very rusty. This suspension should never rust!! Parts are hanging from shelves, bikes, closet doors, wherever I can find a spot.

Next steps:
Place a parts order,
Paint the parts (I know I could have left the POR15 as the finish, but I wanted to paint everything)
Reassemble the suspension
Remove the fuel tank
Cut out and replace trunk bottom and patch trunk rust
Replace passenger side of front lower valance and patch holes on driver side
Rebuild steering box
Weld holes in floor where PO anchored seat belts
POR-15 underside
Re-install everything.

I also snuck in about an hour of sanding a spot of Bondo, POR-15 and primer on the Fire Chief pedal car I am rebuilding for my great-nephews 2nd birthday at the end of the month. You an see it in the photo.

Mark M
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

Attachments:

Posted by: Billdozer ()
Date: February 12, 2011 01:51AM

Got most of the parts sandblasted and primered. next stop, new tie rod ends and ball joints. any advice on a good place to get 'em? so far jcwhitney.com has pretty fair prices, clark's doesn't.

Attachments:
Date: February 12, 2011 06:49AM

FLAPS?

Mark M
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

Date: February 14, 2011 09:35AM

No photos this week, unless you look in the "Welding Trunk bottom Questions" thread.

Got final paint on all suspension parts except the brake drums and tie-rod ends. Pulled the gas tank so I can cut out the old trunk bottom and weld in a new one, along with patching some trunk and whell well rust areas. Also pulled out the old trunk bottom patch.

Mark M
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

Posted by: shortstrokevair ()
Date: February 20, 2011 10:55PM

I actually think there is more time invested in this thread than it should take to actually perform the front suspension rebuild it self. Post less, wrench more.

Vair Rides:
1960 Corvair 700 Coupe, 140 H.P Head, 170Cu-In w/disc brakes, 3.2 1st-gear 4-speed, 3.55 Posi, Daliy Driver
1961 Corvair 700 Coupe, 140 H.P Head, 147Cu-In w/4-speed, currently collecting parts and "in-progress"
Non Vair Rides:
1963 Dodge 330 2/door sedan, 361cu-in, 4-speed, 4.10 Sure Grip (Race/Street car)
1963 Valiant V200 4 door, slant six auto (every one has to own one four door)
1965 Dodge Dart 170 2/door sedan, 225 Slant six, 4-speed, 3.23 Sure Grip. Secondary Daliy Driver to 60'Vair
1966 Dodge Dart 170 2/door sedan, 340 cu-in, crashbox 4-speed, 4.56 Spool (Race/Street/First car)

Date: February 21, 2011 06:23AM

shortstrokevair Wrote:
> I actually think there is more time invested in
> this thread than it should take to actually
> perform the front suspension rebuild it self. Post
> less, wrench more.

Maybe if you know what you are doing - but I don't, so I appreciate the input I get. And, I wouldn't bother posting if not to help other rookies when they search. Trust me, I don't post when I could be wrenching.

Mark M
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

Posted by: shortstrokevair ()
Date: February 22, 2011 04:29AM

Mark M Wrote:
> shortstrokevair Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I actually think there is more time invested in
> > this thread than it should take to actually
> > perform the front suspension rebuild it self.
> Post
> > less, wrench more.
>
> Maybe if you know what you are doing - but I
> don't, so I appreciate the input I get. And, I
> wouldn't bother posting if not to help other
> rookies when they search. Trust me, I don't post
> when I could be wrenching.

Its not about knowing what your doing, anybody can learn anything if they want to. Front end rebuilds can be easy, or they can be hard depending on what approach you take. I always assume every owner has a service manual for there corvair they are working on, but by some of the questions on here I'm starting to believe this not to be true. The best advice i can give anybody is read the manual, even if you think you know what you are doing, reading it will either confirm what you had thought was right, or maybe it will show you an easier approach, or way out. If the manual doesn't answer your question, then start seeking the help of others. Also reading the shop manual will familiarize you with the proper terminology for individual components when asking questions.
I apologize if i came off a bit abrasive, keep up the good work.

Vair Rides:
1960 Corvair 700 Coupe, 140 H.P Head, 170Cu-In w/disc brakes, 3.2 1st-gear 4-speed, 3.55 Posi, Daliy Driver
1961 Corvair 700 Coupe, 140 H.P Head, 147Cu-In w/4-speed, currently collecting parts and "in-progress"
Non Vair Rides:
1963 Dodge 330 2/door sedan, 361cu-in, 4-speed, 4.10 Sure Grip (Race/Street car)
1963 Valiant V200 4 door, slant six auto (every one has to own one four door)
1965 Dodge Dart 170 2/door sedan, 225 Slant six, 4-speed, 3.23 Sure Grip. Secondary Daliy Driver to 60'Vair
1966 Dodge Dart 170 2/door sedan, 340 cu-in, crashbox 4-speed, 4.56 Spool (Race/Street/First car)

Date: February 22, 2011 06:05AM

No offense taken.

Mark M
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

Date: March 28, 2011 08:43AM

Not much time to work on the car the last 4 weeks, and most of that spent on patching trunk rust. Should be able to get back on it in April, with goal of having it on the road again by May 14 for a club cruise. Couple quick questions:

In first photo below the Pitman sleeve and bushing are pressed into the center link. The sleeve sticks out of the top of the link by about 1/16". Pretty sure that is not correct as it would keep the link and Pitman arm from snugging up. Can I just trim off that excess 1/16"? And, There was nothing (washer, spacer, etc.) between the link and Pitman arm. Is that correct?

Second photo is of orientation for upper A-arm brackets. Flat part on goes top? In a post from jcl he has his with flat on bottom and there is some debate. Manual is unclear. Clark's schematic is unclear, but their photos of the part show it with flat on top. So, which goes on top, flat or shaped? (I know I have it backwards and that the larger end of the shaft goes toward the rear).

Mark M
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2011 08:46AM by Mark M.

Attachments:

Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.