Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Subaru Engine Swap in an Early Corvair
Posted by: bdiesel ()
Date: November 24, 2010 09:11PM

I had 2 Corvairs in college, and just post college. A stock 62 convertible that lost its passenger rear wheel while cruising along at 75mph on the interstate. And a 64 convertible with a semi souped up 140 engine. Absolutely loved them both and have been dreaming about getting another one for years. (I've been driving a pick up for work reasons). Anyways enough with the backstory.
I am about to start a new job and want to get another 64 convertible as my daily driver. I absolutely love the look of the earlys, but I'll be logging a lot of miles and I want a reliable engine with good MPGs and good power. I've been reading about a couple of different swaps (especially the 4cyl. turbo Subaru) but they all seem to be in the Late model Vairs.
So I would like to hear from people who know a lot more than me, whether this is viable in a 64?
Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Subaru Engine Swap in an Early Corvair
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 24, 2010 09:31PM

As I answered your other post.... Go for it...

Just the complete EM rear suspension will need to go away..

Date: November 24, 2010 10:13PM

Following the path of anthonyforensics on his post/blog it seems like he made suspension adjustments due to the new trans. Is that the same thing that would need to be done for the EM or is there more to it?

Date: November 25, 2010 02:38AM

MORE... you remove everything and start fresh....

But many times this is far easier!

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Date: November 25, 2010 02:46AM

Okay, so let's say I've got my original powertrain out and I'm getting the car ready for the new Subaru and 915 trans (unless there's a better one). What is your suggestion for the new suspension?

Date: November 25, 2010 02:51AM

That you need to leave to your builder...

LM arms can be used...

VW IRS Torsion beam may be a quick

Most Fabricators know how to do a 4or 5 link suspension today... very popular..

Posted by: wv-geo ()
Date: November 25, 2010 03:21AM

The reason that the complete early model suspension has to be removed and replaced is that the rear crossmember is in the way of the Porsche 915 transmission. The 4spd in the EM almost touches the crossmember, and it is a lot shorter than the Porsche trans.

You could cut the middle section out of the crossmember and reinforce it to accommodate the 915, keeping the stock A-arm suspension. However, it would be difficult to use the transverse leaf spring from the 64, and without it you would have the same problem the earlies had prior to 64, wheel tuck.

Dan Stark
Hurricane, WV

1964 Corvair 500 Coupe, 140HP, 4spd (Christine)
1965 Mustang Coupe, 6cyl, 3spd

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.