Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
FOR SALE: Original FC Muffler
Posted by: detroitdude ()
Date: March 12, 2016 01:10PM

I have a original GM
N.O.S. F.C. Muffler
in the original box
that I would like to
sell. $50.00 plus you
pay for the shipping
cost. If anyone wants
it, you can always P.M.
me. Thanks

forsale

Dan Dood
69 Monza Convertible
66 500 Coupe

Detroit, Michigan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2016 03:17PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Size of Original FC Muffler
Posted by: KGB Pilot125 ()
Date: March 12, 2016 02:46PM

cnicol Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you have a part number for the "K-Car" muffler
> you found?

yes, it is Walker #17856 I got it at Advance Auto. NAPA showed one also but they wanted 49.76 for it and personally i think the walker looks better as far as the welds go and isnt covered in stickers that burn off!

Posted by: matchlessmo ()
Date: March 12, 2016 05:20PM

Got my walker on eBay for 35 dollars including shipping . Nice muffler

Re: FOR SALE: Original FC Muffler
Posted by: detroitdude ()
Date: March 13, 2016 01:57PM

detroitdude Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a original GM
> N.O.S. F.C. Muffler
> in the original box
> that I would like to
> sell. $50.00 plus you
> pay for the shipping
> cost. If anyone wants
> it, you can always P.M.
> me. Thanks
>
SALE PENDING, thanks to
everyone who inquired. ..

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: July 06, 2018 06:13PM

I'm looking for 61 Rampside muffler today and ran across this old thread.
I was curious if anyone had an update for a good FC muffler.

I have a Walker 21310 and a Clarks C125X. They look to be about the same.
I don't especially like the 1 1/2 Outlet, looks sort of wimpy on a truck. I might save these mufflers for EM car installation.

I purchased a Walker 17856 and I don't think I will like the fit. I need to cut 1" off the inlet to get it in for a look, I don't want to make it unreturnable. The 5" rather than 6" diameter doesn't look like it will fit the FC stock hanger bracket very well. It also doesn't seem like the offsets will properly line up for the downspout that is part of the muffler to go through the body curved opening.

I wanted to get a Walker 17847 but it's a special order at O'Reillys.
I've ordered a 18179. The body of the muffler is 1" shorter, I hope it will work. I also ordered a 1 7/8 and a 2" tail spout, one of them should fit.

The crossover pipe is in good shape but the muffler was getting holes. It was welded together and I was able to make a nice clean slice and clean up for a 1 7/8 to slip on.

I'll update on how I come out for people searching in the future.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: July 08, 2018 06:32AM

The 18179 didn't work out either. Although it's 6" to fit the stock hanger, the Inlet and Outlet offsets are not clocked correctly to line up with the body opening or have the spout pointing in the correct position.

I ended up using the now unavailable Walker 21310 I had on hand. To get the outlet length and step it up to 1 3/4, I welded an adapter and Walker 41299 spout. I just couldn't live with the look of a 1 1/2" outlet, especially on a truck.

I don't know what I'll do next time. The clocking I ended up with on the 21310 has the Inlet at 1:00 to stay away from the tire and the outlet at 5:30 to align with the body opening.

This whole thing was almost as bad as getting a Turbo muffler to line up. I can't live with it not being pleasing to the eye. I look at exhaust when I'm driving behind someone.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: July 08, 2018 07:00AM

Other than the 1 1/2" tailpipe, is there a fit, function, or quality issue with the Muffler that Clarks offers that I am unaware of?

The last FC Corvair I owned was over 40 years ago so my knowledge of this information is essentially forgotten. Having recently acquired a 1962 95 Van, this is something I would benefit from knowing sooner than later.

[www.corvair.com]
Part number C125E: MUFFLER & CORRECT TAIL PIPE-60 CARS & 61-62 WAGONS & 61-65 FC
Weight: 12 lbs 0 oz, Catalog Pages(s): 34, Price: $ 104.10

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2018 07:03AM by Caraholic4life.

Date: July 08, 2018 11:31AM

I have a C125X Clarks muffler in the box. It looks just like the Walker 21310 and the fit would be good.
It also comes with a "J" tail pipe which fits inside the muffler outlet. If it fit outside perhaps it would be a little larger. The one I have is fairly old so I don't know if it's the current offering. I hope I have the Clarks number correct, I'm going from memory which isn't so good.
These mufflers have a shorter body than what I removed but chances are that was not original anyway. The body is just long enough to fit the stock FC hanger.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.